“Good service. Went on a Sunday for brunch...”

Little Savannah Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Little Savannah Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #162 of 942 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 39th Street South
“Good service. Went on a Sunday for brunch...”
Reviewed October 16, 2010

Good service. Went on a Sunday for brunch and although the food was seasonal, it lacked redemption otherwise. Small portion, under seasoned, and my poached egg on my Benedict was ice cold! Not just cool, but had been in ice for some reason! Strange.. Prob won't go back. Under-whelmed by the hole thing

Fort Myers, Florida
“Charming atmosphere, wonderful food”
Reviewed March 13, 2010

Charming atmosphere, wonderful food from appetizer to dessert and great service- You can't get much better!

My husband and I dined here for the first time on Friday night. We left amazed that we have been missing out on such a gem.

We both loved everything about our meal! I must note that the menu changes constantly so we anticipate being surprisingly overwhelmed with something totally different the time we dine here. Here is what we had that was delicious: started with the Cheese platter which presented 4 tasty cheeses paired with fried walnuts, spiced pear chutney, and a cherry compote. They brought out cornbread muffins in a tin which since neither of us like cornbread we are bad to judge them, however they were warm and moist. I ordered one of the fish specials, I can't remember the name because it was unfamiliar to me. Our server explained that it was a hawaian fish similar to grouper in taste. I enjoyed the fish and especially like it accompaniments that were similar to couscous. The chef came and talked to us. He is very friendly; even brought we a glass of wine that he thought would work well with my meal! My husband had the smoked duck breast that came with an excellent rutabaga puree and collard greens in a bacon jus.
We were so impressed with our meal that we did the unusual thing and each got dessert! Actually my husband tricked me, we decided to share a dessert- the banana bread but he also ordered the trio of creme brulee because that is my favorite dessert and I must admit I was happy he did!
We are not huge fans of sweets but both selections were AMAZING! The grilled banana bread was topped with caramelized banana slices,warm dark chocolate ganache, and sprinkled with fried walnuts. The trio of creme brulee was some of the best I have ever had...the plate included small servings of Cappuccino, Cinnamon, and Peppermint Stick flavored brulee with two sambuca cookies (which tasted somewhat like a scone to me). The Peppermint stick one was my favorite.

I recommenced giving this cozy, local restaurant a try if you like inventive meals full of flavor! Great service too. My only complaint was that the alcohol was over priced- a single absolut on the rocks was $9.50. But other than that our meal was worth every penny...total came to $124 before tip for appetizer, two entrees, two desserts and three drinks.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“best atmosphere! GREAT...”
Reviewed July 22, 2008

best atmosphere! GREAT for Couples!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Birmingham, AL
“Big Let Down”
Reviewed April 22, 2008

After reading many glowing reviews we decided to give Little Savannah a try; unfortunately it was quite a let down. The service was quite good, with servers that were very attentive. However, the much ballyhooed food came up far short of the mark. The chef/owner is quite renown for his use of local produce, yet we found little demonstration of said skill in our entrees. The lamb chops were tiny medallions of bland meat on six inches of bone served with dry, flavorless fingerling potatoes and a ragout that failed to redeem the entree. To add insult to injury, the knife I was presented appeared to be a canoe paddle sized reject from Outback that was of little use in separating the small morsels of lamb from the expanse of rib. Our second entree had better flavor, yet it remained lacking for want of some starch or carbohydrate (any slice of vegetable, please) to match the all the monkfish, calamari, and steamed mussels. A small disappointment, but compiled with the first entree, as well as, a less than stellar pomegranate martini the whole meal left us disenchanted and slightly dejected. Frankly, we expected much more...

BIRMINGHAM
“My favorite restaurant in Birmingham, Alabama”
Reviewed December 19, 2007

Absolutely incredible upscale Southern cousine in a quant location near the Lakeview District. Also very good wine selection & delectible desserts. One of my favorite appetizers is the ‘Shrimp and Grits…Little Savannah Style’: Gulf White Shrimp with McEwen & Son’s Golden Polenta, Sauteed Mushrooms, Bacon Vinaigrette and Silver Thyme. One of the best entrees is the Seared Diver Scallops with Braised Veal Cheeks, Sauteed Baby Spinach and Veal Jus. For dessert try the Banana Foster with Banana-Nut Bread and French Vanilla Ice Cream or the Bourbon-Pecan Tartlet with Cinnamon Chantilly Cream.

1 Thank Luv2G0