“Good choice,enjoyed stay”

Ranked #59 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Dunwoody, Georgia
“Good choice,enjoyed stay”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

This was a friendly and clean hotel. the room was comfortable and had a decent free breakfast.the price was fair & the people were nice. I like the HDTV and that pets are allowed. If we visit Alabama again,we will stay at Econo-lodge. We didn't stay long but enjoyed it. I wish I signed up for rewards program.

Room Tip: Away from stairs
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
JSC1111, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Tim,

Thank you for your kind compliments of EconoLodge South. Our staff at EconoLodge truly takes pride in providing service that is beyond expectation and I am pleased you were able to experience this first hand. Thank you for choosing the EconoLodge South and I truly hope we may welcome you again in the near future.

Neal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival we noticed much older hotel but had charm. Once in the room we went straight to sleep. 2hours latet woke up to use the restroom and couldn't believe my eyes. Extremely dirty restroom. Wet soiled tiwel hanging from shower. Soiled dirty towel hanging from towel rack. Worst part toilet had pubic hair everywhere. I went immediately ti ftint desk and politely asked to be moved to another. I was traveling with my kids. Front desk said no that's not possible. Then in front
Me questioned the two cleaning ladies::Ya'll this lady says the bathroom is
dirty. I had to repeat the above information to the cleaning lady. Who later told my husband they onky want them cleaning in the rooms for 20 minutes.
Anything can happen but the way it was handled made me very uncomfortable and felt like I was in a MOTEL not an $80 dollar a night choice hotel. Even after the
cleaning there was a pubic hair now on the sink... disgusting!!! NEVER AGAIN. Other things wrong: mold on the room, faulty hair drier with exposed wires, dead bugs in the light, dirty floors, ripped rug, dusty furniture and dungen dark room.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Jacqueline G
JSC1111, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey regarding your recent stay at Econo Lodge.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding Housekeeping issues on your recent visit. I have shared your feedback with Housekeeping manager to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future. And also we don't have pool at this facilities.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Birmingham.

Kind Regards,

Anil Patel
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Just wanted a place to stop for the night as we were only be there for a few hours. Given a room on the side of hotel away from the front highway but still could hear traffic and late at night when tavern getting out the parking lot became a raceway. The room was okay --- newer TV and nice king bed -- BUT -- room was filthy. Don't think the room was vacuumed except where you walked. The bathroom was a mess -- especially the shower curtain which was covered in mold at the bottom and the curtain rod fell from the wall when pulled. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Cartz95
JSC1111, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Cartz95

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your stay.

We are so sorry for the incident you experienced at our property. We've addressed our housekeeping staff in regards to your review and the necessary actions have been taken. Again, we apologize for the issues and we hope to have another chance to serve you in the future.

Neal
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I visited for two nights while on a trip to find investment properties. We needed just a basic hotel and got just that.
We heeded another reviewer's recommendation about staying away from the tavern on the premises but missed the other recommendation to stay on the back side away from the highway. While the road noise did not disturb our sleep, that extra would have made the visit just a bit more pleasant. We stayed during the week and the tavern was not really a problem anyway.
The room was clean and comfortable and looked recently renovated with new paint, nicer furniture, a flat-screen TV, and new looking appliances. The staff was gracious and took care of a broken latch on the door when we brought it to their attention. I also alerted them to a leaky faucet but they told me the had already mentioned it to management and they had not done anything about it. They assured me they would mention it again.
In the minus column we had stains in the shower stall on the wall that I think could be cleaned with a little elbow grease. Also, the electrical outlets are 2-prong and very loose. The clock would get reset when the cleaning crew came through as it would get knocked when they vacuumed. The mini-fridge was on the same outlet strip so, be careful if you have anything in the fridge! The 2-prong outlets are somewhat mitigated by the 3-prong outlets on the lamps but this means the safety ground is disconnected. Kids beware but adults should be fine.
The complimentary breakfast in the Waffle House was simple but adequate. The choices are limited but the menu items are cheap enough so supplementing is not an expense. Say "Hello" to Colleen and/or Wesley in the Waffle House as they made our visits enjoyable. Both are extremely nice and attentive and characters to boot. It was just fun being served by them.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
JSC1111, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your detailed review and share your experience with the TripAdvisor Readership. I was tremendously disappointed to learn about the Issues that you have faced and experienced on your recent visit with us we defiantly could do a lot better. I could see a lot of things did not happen to enhance your experience. I am so sorry for that. I assure you we have discussed this review with all the team in detail. I want to greatly thank you for your review. I want to alleviate any concerns you may have and assure you that the quality and service that you rightfully expect from our Econo Lodge Brand are in no way compromised instead been enhanced. Thank you for bring these concerns to our attention we truly understand “Our Guests want the very most and the very best, on the best terms. Only the individuals and the team that provide absolutely excellent products and services at absolutely excellent prices will survive”. We are and we will continue to be that team. We have addressed the feedback immediately; we have discovered the problem and a corrective action in place to prevent this from happening again. Comments such as yours mean a great deal to us. I hope you will allow us another opportunity to show you the true experience as we want to make up for your previous experiences. Please accept my earnest apologies for your experience, this is definitely not the norm, is not acceptable, I assure you we have taken your comments and feedback to be great direction to improve thank you for your immense feedback. Sincerely, Neal
Guntersville, Alabama
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Went to an event at the Birmingham Zoo...and wanted to be close to the Zoo ..I had seen this property for years but had never stayed...I was concerned about the age but was pleasantly surprised with the room , new carpet, new furniture, new flat screen TV, new bedding!

The house keeping staff were very nice... Could use some cleaning up outside. Maybe that will follow...I would return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Red Roof Inn Birmingham South
Sleep Inn
Sleep Inn
#4 of 10 in Pelham
Courtyard Birmingham Hoover

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!