“Hotel needs major help”

Ranked #61 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Merrillville, Indiana
“Hotel needs major help”
Reviewed April 4, 2007

Upon arrival, I found a dirty bathroom, a door that was hard to shut, and some exposed wires so I changed rooms. My next room was a slight improvement, but this room also had dirty spots on the carpet and terrible looking walls. In addition, there was a hole in my sheet on the bed. I had to ask the front desk for more toilet paper one day as the housekeeper didn't do her job. She also forgot to dump my trash one day. This hotel needs some major work done. The carpeting is filthy throughout the hotel, in rooms and hallways. I found trash in the halls and on the elevator. Also, found trash on the grounds outside. The plastering in the rooms is chipped off and many holes exist. One good thing I can say about the hotel is that there weren't any bugs. You can sleep here but wouldn't want to do much else.

• Liked — No bugs
  • Disliked — Dirty carpeting and walls
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
qualityinnbirmingham, Webmaster at Days Inn Birmingham AL, responded to this review, September 9, 2011

Thank you for choosing Quality Inn for your recent stay in our area.

• Housekeeping received additional training in the level of cleanliness and helpfulness required of them as our employees.

• Maintenance was informed of the exposed wires and problem door in the room first assigned to you and instructed to see to the proper repairs.

• Maintenance received additional training in their responsibility to see to the proper, clean appearance of the outside of our establishment.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Quality Inn. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
meridian
Reviewed March 21, 2007

This place was filty! (halls, bathrooms, elevator ... I can't imagine what was under the covers!) We only stayed for 10 minutes ... then left to find another hotel! Beware!!!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your original intent to stay at Quality Inn. I am sorry that things didn’t work out as you had intended.

• Housekeeping received additional training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will choose to stay at Quality Inn. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed May 23, 2006

We had just arrived to vestavia from virginia and we did notice that the hotel was in its remodeling stages. Although we stayed for one night, the rooms were very clean, the front desk clerks were very helpful, and the continental breakfast was beyond my expectations. All the staff were very nice and hospitable. I have checked with other hotels and so far I can truly say, I will be staying at Vestavia Hills Hotel this coming June 2006. Thank you so much for your hospitality!

• Stayed April 2006
2 Thank Dorothy H
daysinn_vh, Director of Sales at Days Inn Birmingham AL, responded to this review, January 23, 2015
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to write and tell us about your stay and am pleased to know that our staff and hotel services were to your liking.

As always we promise OUR GUESTS THE BEST VALUE UNDER THE SUN.

Sincerely Saby Chander
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed May 30, 2004

Stayed here with our softball team in May. BIG MISTAKE! The front desk did not know which rooms were clean or dirty at 5:30PM. Could not even check in on arrival b/c reservations were so screwed up. Were given keys and so was everyone else checking in that night. Two of our families had other people with keys coming in the room late at night. Rooms were barely cleaned and one had sheets with food and ants. Could be an OK place if there was an overhaul on employees. The only bright spot was a wonderful lady who was in charge of the breakfast bar. She was so delightful and efficient.

8 Thank nlance

Thank you for choosing Quality Inn for your recent stay in our area.

• Management and desk staff were approached about setting up a system that would show which rooms were ready for guests.

• The lady at the breakfast bar was informed of your comment and received our commendation in the courteous way in which she treated you, our valued guest.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 18, 2004

We slept one night at this hotel basically because we got too sleepy to drive any further. Being winter it wasn't a party barn like the other reviewer dewcribes -- in fact, it felt creepily, dangerously deserted.
The desk person was a teenaged girl who could not understand our Australian accents and had to have things written down for her. The whole hotel, our room included, had no character or personality, and while the room was clean, it did have a bad, stale, stuffy smell. The bathroom had no exhaust fan & fogged up when I took a shower, but I didn't mind because it was also very, very ugly. The breakfast buffet in the lobby featured the usual lavish assortment of heavily sugared and over processed American packaged snack foods, but unlike most other similar places, there was not one single piece of fresh fruit to be found amongst it. The most expensive hotel we stayed in in the USA, and also the saddest. Not recommended.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Thank you for choosing Quality Inn for your recent stay in our area.

• Management was approached about the possibility of making the establishment seem less deserted.

• Breakfast staff was approached about the possibility of adding fruits to their assortment.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 13, 2003

Where to even begin? Property is run down. Illogically laid out, mislabeled signs and info everywhere. Room reeked when we entered. Hotel binder says buffet is on the 4th floor - after a hunt I discovered it on the 1st. A giant number "1" is outside the side entrance - which leads to the 2nd floor. "Pool closes at 10pm". Why then did I have to call the front desk at 1am when I could not sleep due to noise from people yelling in the pool? A call to the front desk didn't even help, I had to yell at them myself. "Door locked for guest safety - use room key to enter" yet the door pulls right open. The elevator looked and felt like a service elevator - and there was a piece of the door HELD TOGETHER BY DUCT TAPE! The toilet would "burp" water back up periodically. The last straw came when we had to move rooms due to a wedding reception being held directly below our room blasting bass-laden music through the very thin walls. If you are considering this property - RUN AWAY!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Thank you for choosing Quality Inn for your recent stay in our area.

• Management was approached about the possibility of a “reorganizing” of signs etc so that our valued guests can be greater served.

• Management was reminded of their responsibility to see to it that our valued guests remember to be considerate of their fellow guests.

• Maintenance was informed of the problem with the toilet in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to its repair.