“Days Inn/Birmingham” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Days Inn Birmingham AL

Days Inn Birmingham AL
Ranked #62 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Broomfield
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

There are a lot of inexpensive hotels in Birmingham. Don't give this one a chance. For a dollar more, you can find a place that stands behind their product.

The front desk staff were friendly and I have no problem with them. But the "supervisor" made little effort to earn my business. First, the place is a dump. I drove past a YMCA that looked newer and cleaner. Cracks in the bathroom wall look like they may not be cleanable. An electrical outlet cover fit the outlet so poorly I could pass a cockroach through it. The toilet dumps its water at least once an hour which means you get that hissing sound through the night... at least that was in the first room I was in last night... Which brings me to the big issue...

I knew I should have called the front desk when I heard the first chirp come from the smoke detector. Six or seven chirps later, my sleep was more than disrupted. At 2am, the smoke detector blared on and on, a sure sign of a dying 9-volt battery. While I could have taken the detector off the wall myself and ejected the battery, I did not want to be responsible for bringing the fire department to the hotel as it was hard-wired to a hotel-wide system which I believe is a code requirement. Instead, I called the front desk. She arrived at my room lickity split and gave me a key to another room on another floor which I appreciate, and she took the detector with her back to the office. Now there was a room without a smoke detector adjacent to rooms with guests. She should not have been put into a position where this was her only option.

I packed up my stuff and moved to the other room. Now, rattled, irritated, and anxious about lost sleep, I tried my best to fall asleep in the other room with a VERY important meeting (for me anyways) the next morning. The other room was in as poor shape as the first, and as I walked down the hallway towards it, I heard at least one other smoke detector chirping away threatening to go off with a dying battery.

After price, the one thing that means the most to me as a guest is how the management handles these issues. Can I forgive the seemingly piss-poor maintenance which allows their number one safety system to fail? I'm a safety instructor, so fat chance. Can I overlook the potential electrical exposure to a non-GFCI outlet which didn't have a fitting safety cover? Heck no; I intend to call the city and county about this. How about the external door that did not require a key to open this evening? Well, ask yourself if your family's safety is on your list of priorities. And did the manager make an effort to win me over? Armed only with the knowledge that I had a rough night due to a faulty smoke detector, I was offered a discount of $5. The truth is, it would have taken a lot to win me over, and only if I had the supervisor's assurance that these issues would be resolved... a verbal assurance that is worth the paper it is not written on. After all, who has the balls to put anything in writing anymore, right?

The fact that this place even got 2.5 out of 5 is a miracle of some sort. Either it is mediocre by crappy Alabama standards, or Days Inn standards have fallen and this hotel is mediocre by loyal Days Inn clientele standards. It used to be, Days Inn corporate would audit the privately owned hotels and hold them to a high standard. I know because my wife used to work at one. According to the old standard, this hotel would have lost it's contract with corporate. It is my guess that the owner wants to squeeze as much money out of this place as possible before it crumbles due to neglect.

So where should you stay? I'd sooner call the YMCA down the road. It's probably cleaner, better maintained, and more interested in keeping your business.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
      Cleanliness
daysinn_vh, Director of Sales at Days Inn Birmingham AL, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thank you for informing us about your stay.Thank you VERY VERY MUCH for letting
me know what we have missed taking care of in maintenace during our extreme busy days.
I have just appointed another maintenance member to go around and address the issues
that you have talked about.
Really Thank You for TAKING TIME FOR FINE DETAILED INFORMATION AND PICTURES
where I can use them to show department heads.
Please try us again and you will see continues NEW CHANGES and As Always We
Promise to Provide THE BEST VALUE UNDER THE SUN.
Auburn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

This stay was about what I would expect from a Days Inn. The biggest complaint I have is that this is the ONLY hotel experience I have had where I have requested an early check in time, and been refused. I requested it at the time I reserved the room as well as the morning of my arrival when I called ahead and was informed that "check in time was 3:00pm". Not sure if this is standard practice for a Days Inn, but was very off putting.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

daysinn_vh, Director of Sales at Days Inn Birmingham AL, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to let us know about your stay and am sad to know that we
were unable to check you in before 3pm.Because MOSTLY we sell a LOT OF ROOMS
and many days hardly have a room available till some one checks out till 11am and
between laundry and cleaning few rooms it takes about 3pm.
HOW EVER I PROMISE IF WE HAVE ROOMS AVAILABLE GUESTS ARE WELCOME
TO CHECK IN EARLIER ANY TIME.
Birmingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Make sure the staff respect their jobs and appreciate every guest whom is checking in to a Distinguish Hotel as Days Inn. Days Inn has been around for ages and I do not think that they got their business off of poor customer service and louzy business. I am very hurt mentally and emotionally about my last stay at this particular hotel. I will be a while or if I ever come back. When I experienced my issue no one wanted to appologize for the incident because, they felt by doing so it meant they were wrong!!!! After, spending numerous nights at this location, I couldnt get a simple appology. For having blood stains on a unsanitary bed sheet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Dear Guest,
Thank you for letting us know about your experience.I was trying to figure out why the
hotel security was escorting the guest out.She had cut marks on her hand and arms
and blaming housekeeping for fresh blood on her sheets and making loud gestures
at front desk.
Still we appologize 1000 times for what ever has caused this to the guest and pray
she gets well with OUR APPOLOGIES ON BEHALVE OF DAYS INN BIRMINGHAM.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

I walk into the hotel a walked into an awful fool smelling place. The desk clerk was very nice but, she seemed not all there. The rooms are piss poor I asked to be transferred to another room then I get an upgrade as I was informed but, it wasn't an upgrade unless you call a room the smelled like a cat sprayed it an upgrade. Then I went to the pool there was no towels there. The breakfast I was told was god awful but, I did get a phone call in my room telling me that I won a free night but I was told it was a scam the manager told another guest so I'm never staying here again. So my over all stay here was messed up I hope they close this location down and everyone gets a real wake up call because I never felt like I was going to be killed in my sleep until I stayed there. Please someone tell me is this the new standard of hotels now a days!

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
daysinn_vh, Director of Sales at Days Inn Birmingham AL, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Guest,
I am sad to know about your stay and am trying to understand how to tell ALL WORLD
HOTEL GUESTS "Please do not give PERSONAL INFO" on phone to any one without
making sure who is on the other end no matter what they say." LOTS OF STRANGE
PEOPLE CALL HOTELS AND JUST DAIL ROOM # AND GET LUCY with a talking guest.
Please be aware this is now HIGH TECH GENERATION.
However we have removed our phone from auto mode and now someone will have to ask
room # by name.
We did treat those rooms with good smell to remove pet odour.