“Not a very enjoyable stay”

Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview
Ranked #23 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Alabama
“Not a very enjoyable stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

I chose this hotel for last weekend after reading the reviews here. We took a shopping trip to Birmingham and this hotel was convenient to the Summit. We checked in at about 6 p.m. and the front desk staff were rather short and not very friendly. We got to our room and there was a pile of nuts and bolts, etc in the bathroom floor. My fiance pulled the shower curtain back and there was NO faucet at all. Also, I made the reservation on Marriott.com and requested a feather-free room and foam pillows. All of our pillows were feather. I will say that when I called about needing to change rooms due to the faucet issue, by the time we hit the lobby, the front desk had already gotten our new keycards ready and just handed them to us and we were in business.
The room was "fine". We found ourselves not getting a very good night's sleep due to an old, outdated HVAC system that would not cool the room very well and the loud noise coming off the Interstate.
Overall, the place was okay. Definitely nothing special, and I have stayed in many better rooms for 115.00/night.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the even numbered side of the building. That may help with traffic noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Scott S, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Please accept our apologies for your arrival experience. Unfortunately our maintenance staff did not notify us he was working in your room and was not finished. I have asked my Front Office Manager to review the process of meeting special requests and to insure effective communication happens with housekeeping. I would also like to let you know that we are tentatively scheduled for a renovation sometime in the fall with a completion of December or early January. Hope you will return and experience our new look!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

I have a first-floor room facing the back wall. There is mold in my room. The breakfast is mostly inedible. Go to IHOP and save your $11 per breakfast. The waffles are especially bland and dense.

Room Tip: Check for mold.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ericgross
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

My husband & I were only in the area for one night and needed to stay close to highway 459. This hotel's location was great. It is just off the interchange of highway 280 and 459, near restaurants. We had a nice supper at Cracker Barrel, then checked in. Our son who was nearby came to see us there. The sofa seating came in handy.
Our only complaint was the tight fit in the bathroom and closet area. We took turns leaving the room the next morning so there would be space for the other to dress and prepare for the day.
New to Marriott, we were unaware that breakfasts are not included. We should have read the materials more carefully. If you want to eat down in the dining area it will cost around $10 per person.
I do not care for the arrangement where someone is supposed to serve you after you go through a line. Perhaps there was a hostess that I missed but when I arrived there seemed to be no order to it and no one to ask. I rather stumbled through the process of going through a line with no tray to put my glass and plate on and it was very awkward. Once I got almost done trying to find what was where a young woman appeared to tell me that she had placed silverware for me and guided me to a table set for two. She clearly thought I was with a man she saw in line behind me. I would have preferred to select my own seat and avoid this embarrassment. Once seated, I was expected to stay put and wait for her to have time to check back and see if I needed hot coffee which I frequently did and she frequently did not. It was, once again, awkward and less than satisfactory. Their system is a strange mix of self serve and sit to be served which I suppose is supposed to make one feel that they get some attention for the money they pay. I would not choose to do this again.
Overall we had a pretty comfortable night's sleep (need more support for mattress) and went on our way on time. It seemed clean.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank sullyfamly
Sulligent, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

This hotel has a poor location, in the mornings construction work next door made it impossible to sleep. The snack bar prices were outrageous. I would sleep in my car before I stay at this hotel again!! When we got there, there were cigerette butts and a cigerette pack laying on the balcony. When they came to clean the room, I guess they found them. When we got back from our days shopping I had a voicemail from someone saying if I smoked in the room again they would charge me an extra 250 dollars for smoking in the room.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michael Y
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

Stayed here for a customer visit with a few miles of the hotel. The restaurant was staffed with courteous and friendly folks. Breakfast only at this hotel's restaurant. Front desk staff was also very nice.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Tech-trekker
Hampton, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

I have stayed here several times, only paying $40/night through Priceline. No free breakfast and coffee only for early birds. Corporate owned property.

• Stayed October 2011
Springfield, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

The hotel is clean and the staff is very nice and professional. Meeting / conference rooms are large and comfortable.
Sleeping rooms are also very large and clean. Comfortable bed too.
Great location for travelers both business and personal - plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business