“Took the stress out of hurricane evacuation”

Residence Inn Birmingham Homewood
Ranked #41 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed September 7, 2008

We had to evacuate because of Hurricane Gustav, and it is never easy for us because we have four cats. The Residence Inn waived its two-pet limit during this crisis, and rented us a suite. The staff was very kind to its resident evacuees, our room was clean and in good shape, and we were very comfortable.

Our suite had great water pressure, two television sets in good working order, and a cable Internet connection. Our cable was broken, but someone was dispatched (on a Sunday) quickly to give us a new one. There is also wireless access in the lobby.

There was plenty of variety at breakfast, and the hotel provides wine and snacks on weekday evenings. This hotel has a pool, a gym, a sports court, and a bank of computers for those guests who do not bring their own. The suite included a loveseat, desk and office chair, a small dining table, a stove, refrigerator, and sufficient kitchen utilities.

Staying at this hotel made our lives much easier (the cats loved it, too!).

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 28, 2008

Most everything about this Residence Inn was acceptable to me but the noise was insane. During the day and early evening it is obvious that sounds are not muffled from the halls or outdoors. At night the fun begins. This place must be one of the hot spots for the party crowd. Everything from doors slamming to screaming in the halls went on the weekend I stayed. Luckily, I had earplugs in my bag and was able to get some rest. Loud,loud,loud!!! The room was clean but the carpet was a little sketchy. I'm sure it had suffered from the partys just like I did.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2008

I really wanted to love this hotel. I made sure that I read the reviews before booking. This is the best way to put it:

Pros:
-The studio suite was perfect for a few days. Very spacious. The bed was comfortable.
-I loved the free internet. As a business traveler, I hate having to pay. The internet was very speedy. Nothing to complain about.
-The front desk staff was very, very nice. I had no complaints.

Cons:
-Small trashcans in the suite. I felt very bad about putting trash in trashbags on the floor.
-The cleaning crew never cleaned the bathroom sink or the counter. It got a real icky look after a few days. Under the bed wasn't much better.
-The computer desk was right by the door. It made for a very weird setting.
-Close to the highway. If you are staying on the other side of the property, you won't hear a thing.
-Was so bored, I tried to watch I am Legend on pay-per-view. The screen was very snowy.
-Breakfast - just okay. If you are staying on the other end of the property, you will need to drive to get there.

This hotel has a lot of potential. It is very close to the interstate and will allow you to get on and off the highway very quickly. But, the hotel hasn't been maintained very well. The carpet was dicey in some places. I just had a higher expectation since this is a Marriott property.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank artfam
Reviewed February 29, 2008

I was very disappointed with this Residence Inn! I stay at Residence Inns a lot while traveling on business. I'm usually very satisfied, not this time. The front desk clerk at check-in was less than friendly. I think I interrupted something she was doing and she wasn't happy about it. The room itself was pretty good, although there was a stain high on one wall that looked like blood spatter! Housekeeping did not refill items used: dishwasher cleaner, lotion, conditioner, etc. The day I left, I left a sink full of dishes because I had no way to wash them! The same piece of lint stayed in the corner of the living area the entire time I was there. The room was not very sound proof either. The guest upstairs was up and about at 5:00 am every morning...and I heard the steps, shower and toilet flushing! The front desk clerk at check-out was friendly...the best part of the stay unfortunately! I will be looking for another hotel on my next trip to Birmingham!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 2, 2008

This hotel has some poor reviews, but when we stayed our room was clean, the employees were nice and the managers reception was nice as well. They had a salad, nachos, coffee, sodas, wine, and beer. I would stay here again without a doubt.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2007

I stay in Marriott hotels often however i never seen anything as disgusting as this hotel before. On the first day, i found hair on the bed. I asked them to change the sheets and pillow cases. they didnt seem to be surprised, acted rude and not even said sorry about tht. The bath tub was clogged and the worst thing was i found cockroach!!!!...breakfast was also terrible..please do yourself a favor, do not stay here...

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank keliling2
Reviewed January 27, 2007

This hotel has totally fallen apart. I stayed here 2 years ago and was shocked to return and find it in it's current state. My room was filthy, not just a few missed cobwebs, but filthy! (To the point where I could not take my shoes off.) I was afraid to go outside to my car after dark due to the large number of people hanging around outside the hotel doors. It seems that there were out there smoking since the hotel is now non-smoking. On my way in, I was hassled by a group of 3 men. Upon reaching my room and finding the filth - I wanted to check out immediately but was afraid to go back out to my car and it was 10:30 at night. I was supposed to stay 3 nights, but I checked out early the following morning. There is nothing worse than a filthy room. I also could not sleep due to the loud interstate noise and the poorly insulated rooms which allowed all manners of sounds to penetrate my room. I also was treated to what seemed like an all night conversation of some other people hanging out below my window in the parking lot. On top of everything, it was WAY overpriced at $189 a night. I have stayed at the newer Residence Inns and have been very pleased but some of these olders ones are just falling apart. As a warning to other Birminghmam travelers, DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple