“Good price but quite noisy”

Residence Inn Birmingham Homewood
Ranked #39 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Belo Horizonte, MG
“Good price but quite noisy”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

It's a good place, specially if you're traveling with more than a couple. They offer two bedrooms for a reasonable price. From monday to wednesday you got free dinner (snacks with complimentary beer and wine). They clean the room everyday and the breakfast is also included.
Unfortunately it's located near I-65 and if you have problems falling asleep you might want to bring some ear plugs.
Another problem is the thin wall dividing the suites. You will hear everything your fellow neighbor does. Try to get the higher floor (third), so you have to worry just about people besides you.
Finally, they allow pets in this hotel.

Room Tip: It is mandatory to get a room in the third floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank gustavocortereal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Orange, TX
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Recently spent three nights here for a meeting I was attending. While the staff I did see (not many) were very friendly, this hotel is in huge need of updating.
I'm still not sure what the odor was in the hallway but at least it did not carry into my room. Internet was marginal at best.
Somehow they managed to take a nice large room and have very little storage space. I will admit the room was clean although the furniture had certainly been there for years and was showing a lot of wear.
There are several (and varied) eating options close by and a Wal-Mart about 1/2 mile away to grab the things you forgot.
After talking with several others at the meeting, I will choose an alternate location for my stay next time.

Room Tip: Don't stay by the elevators. The combination of them and the laundry will ......
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Washington, DC
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I was really disappointed with this Marriott property. The last time I was in Birmingham I stayed at ALoft, but it was booked solid so I decided to go on Priceline and try my luck with a name your own price in the Homewood area. My "Wheel of Fortune" stopped on Residence Inn Homewood for $79. I got there and the lobby and gathering room were okay in that generic mid-tier city hotel way. I was hoping it would be one of those places where you get to your room and are surprised at the amazing cleanliness and quality of it. No such luck. I got to my floor and it was noisy, there was a shop vac in the middle of the hall and sketchy looking handi-men all over the place. I told myself to turn off my stereotypes and keep it moving. Then I got to my room and opened the door and it smelled like stale cigarette smoke, like a cheap, dirty motel room. The Kitchenette was all plain off white, aging laminate countertops. The "stove" was a grungy, dented up aluminum stovetop and two ugly electric burners. I wasn't doing well, I couldn't get past the smell. The bed looked okay. The mattress looked new, which concerned me because wondered if it had just been swapped out because of bed bugs or something. The bathroom was kind of gross, the top was stained, there was a dead fly by the toilet and it looked like the extent of the cleaning they had done was to fold the leading edge of the toliet paper into a triangle. There was a tissue box on the counter by the bathroom sink and all the tissues had been pulled out and then haphazardly stuffed back in to the top, just barely back in. It took me a long time to get myself to a place where I could go near the bed. I put my luggage on a bar stool in the kitchen and sat in the chair for a long time. After my business event, I came back and sat in the chair again for a long time. I went to the lobby to see if the front desk had a spare iPhone charger and, Nina, was AWESOME. She helped me and got me the manager's iPhone charger. I love her. They had a "social" going on and were serving baked potato halfs in the common room. The potatoes looked dried and gross. I went back to my room; I finally got drowsy enough to go get in the bed. But I left all the lights on because I've heard that bed bugs come out only when its dark. I didn't want to take any chances. In the morning, I got the heck up out of there at 8a.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Nampa, Idaho
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I had no problems during my two week stay. The staff was always very friendly and helpful. My room was clean and well maintained. It wasn't a new hotel but it was far from old looking. A lot of work has been put in to keep the grounds maintained and nice looking. It was clear work had been done to keep the place in as good of shape as possible. The in room kitchen was fully stocked with all the dishes, glasses, and other cooking utensils needed to cook/ eat meals. A full sized refrigerator/freezer and dishwasher was a real nice addition to my room. The 2 flat screen LED TVs were nice also.

Down at the front desk building the exercise room wasn't large but it did have nice equipment with built in personal TVs. The breakfast each day did appear to have been cooked fresh on sight that day. The breakfast was usually the same selection every day but a few new and very good hot dishes rotated through. I always found good food to eat and never left hungry.

Over all I found it a real nice place to stay for an extended period of time.

Room Tip: I feel rooms opposite the freeway might be a little quieter.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Alabama
Reviewed November 19, 2011

I used to stay at this hotel a lot on business trips. My stay has always been fine. I especially used to like the generous breakfast buffet and comfortable rooms.

That all changed in November of 2011. I chose this hotel for my wife and I from a list of about a dozen hotels for a convention we atttended. We arrived late and just wanted to get in bed and go to sleep. Around 11 pm, we kept hearing stomping above us. We figured who ever it was would simmer down and go to sleep, then we could get some sleep...NOT. After laying in bed wide awake until 1:35 am, I had had enough. I called the front desk and asked them If I could move the next day because of the noise. They said okay.

The desk clerk said she would call the occupants and ask them to stop the noise. Finally, we began to dose off to sleep. 20 minutes later, the stomping started again. This time with a vengeance (seemingly). I think it was 3:45 am when it was finally quiet enough to get some sleep. Only thing, we had to be up at 5:30 am to get started for the day.

I wen to the front desk and explained my dissatisfaction. The desk clerk told us that they have had problems with the occupants in the room above us. The family was staying there for an extended period of time due to a house fire. My questions was, if they knew the family was a problem, why was I placed below them (the hotel was not full). I requested a refund. I was told that the manager would have to make that decision. I was scheduled to stat there for 3 nights. The desk clerk asked if I would like another room. We declined and decided to got to another hotel.

Just before checking out, we went to what I have known to be a great breakfast buffet. This was absolutely horrible. They had powdered eggs and something that was supposed to look like Canadian bacon. The egg-sausage-cheese buscuits looked like they had been warmed over from the day before. My advise...stay away. Oh, I almost forgot, the room we had was facing the interstate traffic. That made it even worse.

Room Tip: Let the buyer (or occupier) beware
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank TwoQuestions
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I've stayed at his hotel before. They do a manager's dinner during the week. It includes beer and wine. It's a good value. The fitness room has very good Lifefitness equipment, and the room has good controled air. The bad news is the interent did not work at all. This is not the first time the interent has not worked. I'm at the hotel now connected with a Verzion card on my computer.

If you need hotel interent find another hotel with consistent internet. If you don't need interent, the fitness room, dinner, and breakfast make it a good value.

Room Tip: Ask for the back building less road noise.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I recently went there for business and it is good if you need at this location. They have one of the best breakfasts for this type of hotel and the staff was very helpful if I did not see what I wanted - true southern hospitality here. I did have a bit of problem on my GPS it wanted to take me to another hotel but if one continues on the road past the State Farme Center that is on that road you will find it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business