“The Quality Has Dropped”

Residence Inn Birmingham Homewood
Ranked #38 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed November 19, 2011

I used to stay at this hotel a lot on business trips. My stay has always been fine. I especially used to like the generous breakfast buffet and comfortable rooms.

That all changed in November of 2011. I chose this hotel for my wife and I from a list of about a dozen hotels for a convention we atttended. We arrived late and just wanted to get in bed and go to sleep. Around 11 pm, we kept hearing stomping above us. We figured who ever it was would simmer down and go to sleep, then we could get some sleep...NOT. After laying in bed wide awake until 1:35 am, I had had enough. I called the front desk and asked them If I could move the next day because of the noise. They said okay.

The desk clerk said she would call the occupants and ask them to stop the noise. Finally, we began to dose off to sleep. 20 minutes later, the stomping started again. This time with a vengeance (seemingly). I think it was 3:45 am when it was finally quiet enough to get some sleep. Only thing, we had to be up at 5:30 am to get started for the day.

I wen to the front desk and explained my dissatisfaction. The desk clerk told us that they have had problems with the occupants in the room above us. The family was staying there for an extended period of time due to a house fire. My questions was, if they knew the family was a problem, why was I placed below them (the hotel was not full). I requested a refund. I was told that the manager would have to make that decision. I was scheduled to stat there for 3 nights. The desk clerk asked if I would like another room. We declined and decided to got to another hotel.

Just before checking out, we went to what I have known to be a great breakfast buffet. This was absolutely horrible. They had powdered eggs and something that was supposed to look like Canadian bacon. The egg-sausage-cheese buscuits looked like they had been warmed over from the day before. My advise...stay away. Oh, I almost forgot, the room we had was facing the interstate traffic. That made it even worse.

Room Tip: Let the buyer (or occupier) beware
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank TwoQuestions
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Birmingham Homewood

Reviewed November 2, 2011

I've stayed at his hotel before. They do a manager's dinner during the week. It includes beer and wine. It's a good value. The fitness room has very good Lifefitness equipment, and the room has good controled air. The bad news is the interent did not work at all. This is not the first time the interent has not worked. I'm at the hotel now connected with a Verzion card on my computer.

If you need hotel interent find another hotel with consistent internet. If you don't need interent, the fitness room, dinner, and breakfast make it a good value.

Room Tip: Ask for the back building less road noise.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I recently went there for business and it is good if you need at this location. They have one of the best breakfasts for this type of hotel and the staff was very helpful if I did not see what I wanted - true southern hospitality here. I did have a bit of problem on my GPS it wanted to take me to another hotel but if one continues on the road past the State Farme Center that is on that road you will find it.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 12, 2011

we had to check into this hotel last minute. The location is ok, but the hotel was clean and the staff was extremely friendly and very accommodating. I have stayed at 5* hotels where the staff weren't nearly as helpful. Unfortunately, they didn't keep the breakfast buffet stocked very well, but there were evening dinners on some weekdays. Overall, not a bad place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank lynncast
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Although the hotel is a little dated, everything was clean and in working order. Moreover, the staff was very friendly and accommodating. A nice touch was on Valentine's Day. For the evening reception, they put white tablecloths and candles on the table. All of ladies got a rose when they walked in the door. I also needed to have late checkout on Friday and they didn't have a problem with me staying until 4. As a business traveler, I was happy with this hotel, but it could use some updating.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 30, 2010

This location charged more than some of the great Residence Inn locations I've stayed in. And was absolutely horrible. Not only is facility old and in disrepair, the service is the worst imaginable. These people are LAZY from front desk to houskeeping. If you hung your "service later" sign on the door they would NOT come back. They made my bed up with dirty sheets when it was time for them to be changed and told me they were "busy". If you left no sign on your door indicating you wanted service they would knock then say "do you need anything or can I just give you some towels?" Um, yes, I need my room cleaned? Huge roach bugs come in from under old damaged sink. Counter tops are ancient, furniture dirty, lamps tarnished just generally yucky. Clientele loud. I am sad that the worst Residende Inn in America is in my beloved home town:(

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank meggels
Reviewed February 21, 2010

This is pretty decent hotel for the price and so much to offer. Each morning there was a full breakfast, including sausage, eggs, pancakes, muffins, coffee, and much more. This was so appreciative for the morning. The room were average, with some amenities of home. Don't expect these service you would normally receive at a 4 ro 5 star hotel, as this will provide temporary comfort. In the afternoon, they offer beer and buffett meals each day, very nice and free. There was plenty shopping in the area, and for Birmingham, this was one of the best attractiion for the area. There was little nightlife in the area, but you can always head downtown, which is about 3 to 4 miles away.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business