“Horrible, Horrible, Horrible”

Ranked #48 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Memphis, Tennessee
“Horrible, Horrible, Horrible”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Let me start off by saying I didn't book this hotel. A friend of mine booked 4 rooms for 8 of us. I took my friend at his word when he told me the hotel was nice. Folks, I've been in the Army and have stayed in some crappy places. One of those places being a tent that sleeps 10 people with no a/c (heat came from a pot belly stove) for 6 months, slept in a sleeping bag on top of a cot, showered in another tent, had to use a port-a-potty and up until this past weekend I thought nothing could be worse than that.......until I stayed here!

So you might ask yourself, what was so bad about it? My answer, EVERYTHING, LITERALLY EVERYTHING. From the front desk clerk to the room everything was BAD. You might also ask yourself, well if it was so bad, why did you stay? Well, there was a big event in town and every hotel was booked up for the weekend so I was stuck.

Alright, on to the bad. I get there and the front desk clerk had no emotion what so ever. He looked like he would rather be anywhere else in the world than there at that moment. I get my keys, grab my bags and he towards my room. I open the door to the hallway that leads to my room and is greeted by this horrendous smell! It was an old musty, smokey smell and the carpet was nasty. I was like ok, maybe the room smells better..........uh nope, same smell and the carpet was just as nasty. There was a pull out couch in the room that had stains all over it. I actually touched this thing to see what the mattress looks like, bad idea. There was a huge urine stain plus several smaller ones on it! The bathroom had mold all around the tub. The stove in the kitchen was nasty. The pillow case was dirty. I went down stairs to get some replacement pillow cases and the soulless attendant reluctantly gave me some. Oh yea, I asked for some replacement towel and this guy told me I HAD TO BRING THE DIRTY TOWELS TO THEM IN ORDER FOR THEM TO REPLACE THEM!!!WTF

So, I finally checked out of this God forsaken place early Sunday morning with my clothes reeking of this horrible smell. When I got home, I immediately showered and washed all my clothes. I placed my bag outside to air out.

People, seriously take head to this warning and AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COST!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank trippin4sho
Scott M, Manager at Extended Stay America - Birmingham - Wildwood, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
We recently received a copy of your review of our Studio Plus Birmingham – Wildwood location. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why it was very disappointing to read your post. Please accept our most sincere apologies.

Please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring and understand that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why our mission is to provide clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price that guests want to come back to. The service and room condition you describe is totally unacceptable and not at all representative of our quality standards. In response to your post, we have met with our entire hotel staff and used your review to help coach them on great guest service, proper cleaning and extensive room inspections to prevent a future occurrence like yours.

It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again for your recent stay and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this to better serve lodging needs of our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I live in Marietta,ga. I have family in Birmingham,al.I'm always visiting my mom and daughter about once every week I refuse to stay anywhere else they treat me like family,the staff is always so kind and my room is always clean. I feel like I'm a step away from home.Studio Plus is the BEST!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank yolanda t
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Birmingham - Wildwood, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Studio Plus Birmingham – Wildwood and we certainly thank you for your repeat business. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case! It would, of course, be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future. Thank you once again, and feel free to reach out to us directly if we can assist you in any of your future travels.
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Well how do I start...after selling my home and having a hugh Estate sale I decided to get a room for a week to get some much needed rest,at first site the rooms/hotel seemed ok,after a few days of staying in my room i decided to wonder the lot,the pool was FILTHY and looked yellow and filmy omg i thought that surely its not OPEN but on my trip back from wally world i heard laughter and Yes it was guest in the nasty water.Iproceeded back to my room where i proceeded to to post my 'DO NOT DISTURB " AFTER SETTLING DOWN A BIT I PLACED A CALL and i heard my door open omg i got soooo scared i told the person that was on the phone what happened and immediately told them my address and room number.I proceeded to the door trembling but got the courage to say ...WHO IS IT?...no ANSWER....SURELY i must've been tripping so I OPENED THE DOOR and it was a woman standing there looking like a deer caught in headlights.She proceeded to tell me (stuttering) that she was checking to see if i had a pet in my room and checking to see how many flat screens she she order in for the other rooms omg!! while she is doing all this ranting i stopped her and asked so i guess this do not disturb sign mean nothing?She said mgt can come into a room unannounce I asked her to show me where that is written,she said she didnt have to lol....I got so frustrated that i pulled that heavy door all the way back and slammed it in her face lol I believe the hotel rocked off the foundation.I HEARD HER SAY "oUR GUEST DONT ACT LIKE THIS LOL then she went to her office to call me ,which is what she should,ve done in the first place.Ms [...] called Homewood police on me ,which i was packing anyway by that time,the officers were very nice and understood my anger.I told them that i felt mistreated and disrespected they told me SHE WANTED me to leave ,I said no problem i just want my refund they said ok to meet them downstairs in her office ,I did then Ms [...] informed me that they will have to mail me a check I said i didnt mail you my cash lol...I was ok financially but everyone is not how many other ppl has she doone this too that had no where else to go.I have now received my partial refund and decided to warn others !!!

Room Tip: Comfort Inn and Microtel are Great and friendly places to stay
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Kathy L
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Birmingham - Wildwood, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Kathy - We appreciate you providing feedback on your stay at our hotel. I am very sorry that you felt mistreated by the staff at this property. Ms. Hill, along with everyone else, try very hard to accommodate all of our guests, which is why it was so disheartening to read your comments.

I have spoken to the staff about guest privacy and addressed how the situation might have been handled better. Normally we would not involve outside parties to help settle any differences between our staff and guests; however, the staff unfortunately found that there was no alternative in this case.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience you might have experienced. We thank you for staying with us and for giving us some great examples of ways to improve our processes in the future.
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed June 25, 2012

At check-in, the hotel smelled great. The Frontdesk person was great I think her ame was Nesha???? She took great care of me. She showed me my room first, showed me where everything was like a short tour. She was very detailed in explaining everything to me. And did everything she could to help. Also every morning she spoke with a smile made me feel just like I was at home, she listens very well and actually pays you some attention. I felt like I was appreciated!!! Housekeeping is also great. (And my room was very nice, for the rates!!!!) I would recommend this hotel to friends, and I will definitely be back because of it, thanks!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Boss L
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Birmingham - Wildwood, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you so very much for your positive review of our hotel. Guest satisfaction is our number one priority and whenever we read comments like yours it always gives us validation and great pleasure in achieving that goal. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

I would recommend this property to all of my collegues.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank wd5429
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at our hotel. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!

Midland, Texas
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Musty mildew smell in halls!! Rooms were even worse!! Thick smokey smell in no smoking room!! no elevator...so marched right back down the stairs and checked back out!! Unhealthy air about the whole place.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank txtknogk
Alabama
Reviewed August 14, 2010

I've read reviews on other sites about how the halls smell people smoking crack. I have no idea what crack smells like in my mind it would be like the halls of this hotel. I noticed it was a craphole when i first entered the room. I figured I’m only staying one night so i can rough it. I put my stuff in the room and went to a movie (did not want to spend much awake time there). When i got back it was though the front desk double booked me because there was one of the biggest cockroaches ever seen living it up in my room. So i squashed it and decided to sleep with a little light because I’m a wuss when it comes to supersized disease carrying insects. Didn't matter though because i couldn’t sleep with the paper thin walls and what seemed like an interstate devoted entirely to monster trucks right outside the window. I did eventually doze off but was awaken by the lady at the front desk "sorting it out" on her cell phone to someone who must have hearing impaired. I don't know why it was necessary to do that right outside my door but i guess she wanted to make sure i didn't miss my morning meeting in 3 hours. It turned out to actually help because the alarm clock which i set to wake me up on-time never went off? I didn't see any fleas as mentioned on the other post but i've got bites all over my feet. I guess if your a homeless person then this is a great value but to me i would rather sleep in my car. If you want to save a few bucks and possibly catch crabs then this is the place for you.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank NoShjtRjck
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Residence Inn Birmingham Homewood
La Quinta Inn & Suites Birmingham Homewood
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#46 of 79 in Birmingham
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Homewood
Hampton Inn Birmingham I-65/Lakeshore Drive
Extended Stay America - Birmingham - Inverness

Been to Extended Stay America - Birmingham - Wildwood? Share your experiences!