“Disapointed..Wyndham by name only” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Best Western Plus Birmingham Inn & Suites

Best Western Plus Birmingham Inn & Suites
Ranked #41 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Jackson, MS
“Disapointed..Wyndham by name only”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2012

Very disappointed in this hotel. They didn't do anything for Wyndham by Request members, even though they advertise it all over the hotel. My suite was horrible , stains and burn marks on the floors. Furniture was filthy and the couch was torn out at the seems. I can stay anywhere and choose Wyndhams because of the extra treatment. This hotel is no Wyndham.
My suite didn't have a alarm clock. I notified the front desk. A half hour latter they called me down to pick up the alarm clock..really..you couldn't deliver it to my room? Alot better choices for your money in the area.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Shawn H
Chris C, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Birmingham Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to complete the review on TripAdvisor. I will say that I was not happy to hear of your experiences at the hotel and have shared your observations with everyone involved. We have used this as a training opportunity to “see things from the guest point of view”. As we continue to improve, please allow us another chance to have you as a guest.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Waycross, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

good and clean. hard to find coming in from the south. Off road in a business park.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sofaman61
Thank you Sofaman you for comments. Comments like yours help us to improve and to prove it, we now have a light at the entrance to the office park with our name. Thanks again!
Cleveland, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

On my first stay at this hotel, the front desk didn't follow through on my wake up call request. Last month (OCt. 2011) when I returned, I was greeted by a front desk attendant who did not want to honor my company's corporate rate. I just happened to have the letter from their sales manager to my company's staff assistant outlining the corporate rate offer - on their hotel letterhead. When I presented that to the person, she said they didn't have a sales person, I guess implying that I was trying to run an elaborate scam to save $11. She finally relented and gave me the corporate rate that I had gotten with no haggling on my previous stay.

I thought everything was fine until I checked my Wyndham Rewards statement and found out I had not been credited for my stay. When I questioned why by e mail, the reply came back 8 business days later that I was entitled to any reward points because the rate for my stat was a wholesale rate. I had to make a phone call back to Wyndham Rewards folks and explain what happened before I was credited.

I guess what makes matters worse is I received a survey request both times I stayed here. I put my problems on the survey, but nobody contacted me personally to address them.

I have no problems with the hotel. It's basically what you would expect from a Wingate Inn. The rooms are clean, the hotel looks fairly new, and the location is convenient. I don't expect to be pampered when I stay in a hotel in this price range, nor do I usually have any interaction with the service staff unless something is wrong, so I am disappointed when an occasional opportunity for customer service is botched.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Madison, AL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

Clean, quiet, very friendly & accommodating staff (hotel full for big game weekend)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Trudie G
Dublin Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

Stayed here last night, great location, lovely views, good big room and lots of parking and the the faclities you would expect.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank motorcar1
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

Stayed here one night as it was an overnight stop before a long drive the next day. Easy to find. The room was huge, clean and really comfy bed. The bathroom was nice and it was a very conformable stay with free parking and WIFI in the room :0)

The "gym" was a combo of four machines - however being the only person in there it did not matter. The pool was in the process of being built. The breakfast was tasty and there was a number of things to check from.

For me and the friend staying we had a comfortable stay :0)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Birmingham, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

I actually live around the corner from the hotel. Our neighborhood had several break-ins and I was uncomfortable at home alone with my 4 year-old while my husband was out of town. When necessary, I have normally stayed at the Hyatt Place or Homewood Suites right down the street. No problem. This time they were booked. The Wingate offered a reasonable rate and I figured a decent stay given the fact that it is a Wyndham property. I asked my husband who travels frequently if he was familiar with the line and he said it should be along the line of a Hampton Inn, of which I am familiar.

My first impression, an overwhelming musty odor as soon as the automatic doors opened to the lobby! I started to rethink my choice immediately. The lobby however appeared clean so I proceeded to check in. We were placed in room 331. As I went down the hall to the room I saw a very large red stain on the carpet. Another, warning I guess. The room was very basic, but appeared acceptabe on my first inspection. My daughter was very happy to begin our hotel "adventure" and proceeded to make herself at home. I soon noticed another large red stain, in the room, and next to the bed what I would assume was old matted gum in the corner between the nightstand and the bed. I pulled the covers back and found the sheets to be visibly clean and in order. It wasn't until we were actually going to bed that I noticed the gap between the the wall/headboard and the top mattress. This allowed me to see the dust, hair and just FILTH that had accumulated from previous guests. I wegded the mattress underneath the headboard to prevent her slipping in between and tried to block out what I had seen as not to disturb her. There was a second bed in the room so we used that one instead.

Shortly after climbing in bed I felt like I was itching. I figured it was my imagination or nerves, but 2 days later I am STILL itching. I don't know if it was the soap (supposedly Neutrogena which I've never had a probem with) or whatever the sheets were washed in. My fear was bedbugs and I was afraid to lift the mattress to find out. I periodically used the flashlight on my phone to scan the bed during the night. Luckily, I never saw anything.

The following morning, I couldn't wait to get out of there and get to work. I don't know what would have been worse, staying in that hotel again or staying at home fearful of a break-in! There needs to be a complete overhaul there and clearly cleanliness is not high on the list. I would assume that the housekeeper who changes the sheets in the room would have also seen the dirt and hair that I saw on that boxspring! The stopper in the sink didn't work so apparently the staff decided to fix it by just screwing off the top and laying it on the counter. Even the iron was missing pieces! Last straw, I couldn't even get the toilet to flush that morning and made the staff aware upon departure. I had to turn the water off just to keep it from overflowing!

I wish I could have that night back! I wish I could stop itching! I think I'll have nightmares about this place. NEVER would recommend this place!

Room Tip: Just don't book one here!