“Great Value Hotel In Safe Quiet Location”

Best Western Plus Birmingham Inn & Suites
Ranked #32 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed April 4, 2011

The hardest part of selecting a value priced hotel in a distant city is knowing whether the hotel is in a safe part of town. When I arrived at this hotel late on Thursday night after a long day of travel I could not have been happier with the quiet and safe location in a wooded high end suburban office park just far enough off a main road to be immune from toad noise. The room was big and clean, the linens, bed and pillow where better than expected for a sub 100 dollar a night hotel. Overall I was very pleased with this hotel and thought it is was a excellent value.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Birmingham Inn & Suites

Reviewed March 19, 2011

Stayed here to conduct a training session for my company, hotel was in a good location and the conference room met our needs. The hotel room was large and comfortable. The hotel is obivously older and in need of some renovation. Definately not the nicest place I have stayed, but not the worst either.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 17, 2011

This hotel was nice with a friendly check-in person, in an area on a hill away from traffic, lobby was updated and clean, the room was clean and comfortable (microwave & mini refrigerator), FREE Parking, and decent breakfast in the morning! I would recommend this hotel and would return if in the area. THANKS.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I would avoid this hotel, not so much because of what happened to me, but because of the manner in which the hotel management has responded. I checked in early to do business using the internet. Not only was the internet down the entire stay, but the phone in my room had no dial tone. The problem was not able to be resolved and so I asked for their 100% guarantee. The staff informed me a manager would contact me and resolve the problem. The phone call never came and Vernon Helmn, the manager, has been unresponsive to my several phone calls. I have been a real fan of Wingate, but as I said, "one bad apple...." I have other choices where I am treated in a more considerate manner.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 10, 2010

Clean, quiet, courteous staff, premium bedding and room furnishings. Meets the high standard found at most Wingate properties.

Entrance is inside corporate business campus, slightly tricky to find off of highway.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2010

I'm searching to find something nice to say about this hotel, and I think I've found it -- the hotel staff at the front desk is very nice and helpful and the hotel, from the road, appears to be newer and well kept. Okay, now to the downside.

We had prepaid and reserved two nights at this hotel. We arrived very early, before noon, but we stopped by to see if the hotel would happen to have a room available just yet, and they did. We were given a room on the first level, room 113. As we left the lobby with our bags, the first thing I noticed was the wallpaper peeling off of the hallway walls. Not a good sign, I thought, but let's just see what the room is like. Neither of our room keys would open the door to our room, at first I thought that we had a problem with the keys but finally my husband wiggled one of the keys around just enough to get inside the door. As we opened the door to our room, my heart just dropped. This room had the worst odor I've ever experienced in my life, and not just cigarette smoke, this room smelled like a wet dog. On the ceiling of the room, there was mold growing between the slabs of sheet rock. The chair and stool were smeared with dirt. My husband quickly asked the front desk if they could switch us to another room. I honestly think if we had accepted this room we would have been ill from mold in our lungs before we left.
We were given a smoking room next door to the moldy room. Although it was a handicapped accessible room with a shower only it was much better. There was no smell of mold, none growing on the walls, and the room in general seemed to be in better repair. I'm assuming that since this room is handicapped, it's not used as often and is in better shape. I will say that the room was roomy, very roomy. It offered a small dorm style fridge and microwave. The bed was comfortable. We couldn't find any spare blankets in the room as we usually can find in most hotels (I'm cold natured). But it was a comfortable bed.

We paid about $50 per night to stay there, and I we got what we paid for. The walls throughout the hotel had old paper peeling from them, the carpet was dirty and ripped in some areas. There was never any clean towels located near the hot tub or pool areas, and the trash in public areas wasn't emptied during the three days we were there, add to it high tempuratures and it was a smelly trip.

We did try the hot breakfast one morning, and i was okay with it. The tables and chairs in the dining area are old and scuffed but the breakfast was okay. My husband cooked himself a waffle and it was only half cooked and he couldn't eat the center. The waffle iron decides when it's 'done' so he didn't have a way to cook it any longer. I had the usual fare -- scrambled eggs and bacon -- and my husband tried them also but decided he'd rather eat a bowl of cereal.

If you're pulling into the parking lot of this hotel, you think that it's not a bad place to stay, the building is fairly new and the main lobby looks nice. But from what I gather no one has bothered to provide any maintenance or upkeep to this hotel since it was built. All of the furniture in the room was scratched and dented, Even the lamps in the room had big dents in them. The toilet constantly ran unless you manually fixed the handle after each flush. And although the front desk people were super nice, the cleaning staff is the worst I've ever EVER witnessed. Yes, for $50 a night the room was bearable, but next time I'll spend a little more and get a clean hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travel_Lover_1967
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Seemed like a fairly modern building that had seen better days and was getting a piecemeal rehab. Front desk and free breakfast area were nice. Carpets in halls and room were beat, though. Pool outside looked fine but I never used it. Hot tub was old, but kept in good condition. It was solid and the tile work was pristine, which is hard to find nowadays. That's a plus to me. Room had a great bed. Furniture was older, but solid and comfortable. Easy chair with footstool was a nice touch. TV, fridge and microwave were adequate. Major problems included the AC, which was cool enough, but had an annoying rattle whenever the compressor engaged, which interrupted sleep. The room also had a pronounced damp and musty odor, which was a distraction. My friends' room was also somewhat damp, but had no smell. For an overnight stay at the price I got, I was content and it wasn't worth switching rooms. When the rehab is complete, I imagine the prices will go up.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Best Western Plus Carlton Suites
Candlewood Suites Birmingham - Hoover
La Quinta Inn Birmingham / Cahaba Park South
Holiday Inn Express Birmingham/Inverness
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham/280 East-Eagle Point
Hyatt Place Birmingham / Inverness

Been to Best Western Plus Birmingham Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!