“Not as good as before”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #45 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed at the location maybe 10 years ago, and this is not nearly the same property as far as cleanliness, and up to date appearance. The front entrance area and check in desk had a very strong non-welcoming odor, maybe like curry.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn

An EasyToBook.com traveler
Reviewed May 29, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank An EasyToBook.com traveler
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Checked into this property on Friday May 17, 2013 and was impressed with the great service, clean facility, friendly staff and great breakfast selection. The room was clean and equipped with a microwave and mini fridge. The location was great within 15 minutes from UAB campus in downtown Birmingham. Would I stay here again...Yes I would. Would I stay at another Quality Inn brand hotel...yes I would based on this stay. Would I recommend this hotel to others visiting Birmingham...Yes I would. Thanks for a great room for a fair price in a great location easy to find.

Room Tip: Booked this room thru choice hotels website
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TPSR
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have stayed here twice in the last 30 days and was not impressed either time. I am not a gluten for punishment but 1) this is one of the few hotels in the decent part of Birmingham that offers an airport shuttle and 2) I thought maybe my first stay was a fluke. Unfortunately point 2 didn't improve much on my second visit. Let me explain...

First stay was late March. Arrived late (around 9pm) and it was dark outside so I could not really get a good look a the property. I was given a room upstairs over the lobby (literally up the stairs as this hotel has no elevator). I had a single king non-smoking room. As I entered from the room (all have outside entries) the place reeked of smoke. The carpet was very worn, the under window heater/ac unit was dirty and disgusting and the door to the bathroom was cracked and bowed--the outer finish was literally delaminating! Thank goodness the weather was pleasant so I had no need to attempt to use the gross heating unit. The electrical outlet next to the bed had no cover and wiring was exposed. My 4am wake-up call never rang but that didn't matter since I wasn't able to get much sleep anyway as the bed was hard as a rock. When I went downstairs to catch the 5am shuttle the door to the lobby was locked and only after pushing the buzzer several times did someone come and let me in. The good news is the shuttle was ready and I arrived at the airport on time.

The second stay was earlier this month (April). This time I arrived much earlier and told the front desk I was less than impressed with my last visit and asked if I could have a decent room. This time I stayed on the second level (once again) near the rear of the hotel. In this room the heater/ac unit was acceptable and the interior better, but still there was marks and small holes on the walls that could have easily been taken care of with a coat of paint. The room was not very clean and you could see layers of dust on the lamp shades and floors next to the walls. The bed was not great but no where's near the hard slab I experienced on my previous visit. My 4am wake up call was right on time.

Once again at 5am I made the trek downstairs to the lobby only to find the door locked again, so I buzzed and after a few minutes someone came to the door--they looked like they just had woke up. The airport shuttle driver was polite and courteous and the short 8 minute ride to the airport went on without a hitch.

I don't know if the Choice Hotel folks who own the Quality Inn franchises inspect their properties on a regular basis or not, but this particular hotel is not worthy of the name Quality--I think the photos speak for themselves. Next time I will spend the extra money and stay at the Hampton Inn immediately next door.

4  Thank Rob M
Reviewed April 13, 2013

The room was clean, the free internet worked well, and the beds were comfortable. The highlight of our stay was Rebecca, the daytime front desk employee. Although we woke up nearly 2 hours after the free breakfast ended, Rebecca was super friendly and brought us out some bagels and pastries. She absolutely went above and beyond the call of duty and we left in a great mood thanks to her loveliness.

If you're expecting the Ritz Carlton, don't stay here. If you want a nice, clean, comfortable room for the night at a great price, this is the spot for you.

1  Thank Dan G
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel several times and it never shows it's age. Very clean quiet rooms. Excellent Choice Hotels usual breakfast every morning, with lots of room to sit. Convenient to Barber Motorsports Park and many restaurants. This hotel should really be listed in Irondale to show how close it is to the track.

Room Tip: Room 164 towards the back is quiet and convenient to parking.
1  Thank Molokairaceofficial
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

After being told the empty-looking Hampton next door was booked (???) we were so tired, we just went next door.
This hotel is older, but the lady at the front desk was so nice, and the lobby was very clean, so I decided to stay.

The room was also clean, and had been updated more than others I've stayed at for $60.

The beds were fine, no complaints there. Not Hampton beds, but we were comfortable.

We had a decent night's sleep (could've been a tad better if the fan on the heat and a/c unit could have run on constantly).

There were no loud or loitering people coming and going, never heard sounds from other rooms- all in all I feel like we got what we paid for, and I was pleasantly surprised for the price range and age of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank KaiyaMarie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Comfort Inn Birmingham - Irondale
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham East Irondale
Quality Inn & Suites Birmingham Highway 280
La Quinta Inn Birmingham / Cahaba Park South
Red Roof Inn Birmingham South
Red Roof Inn Birmingham South
#58 of 80 in Birmingham

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!