“Not much Quality here...”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #47 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Fullerton, California
“Not much Quality here...”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have stayed here twice in the last 30 days and was not impressed either time. I am not a gluten for punishment but 1) this is one of the few hotels in the decent part of Birmingham that offers an airport shuttle and 2) I thought maybe my first stay was a fluke. Unfortunately point 2 didn't improve much on my second visit. Let me explain...

First stay was late March. Arrived late (around 9pm) and it was dark outside so I could not really get a good look a the property. I was given a room upstairs over the lobby (literally up the stairs as this hotel has no elevator). I had a single king non-smoking room. As I entered from the room (all have outside entries) the place reeked of smoke. The carpet was very worn, the under window heater/ac unit was dirty and disgusting and the door to the bathroom was cracked and bowed--the outer finish was literally delaminating! Thank goodness the weather was pleasant so I had no need to attempt to use the gross heating unit. The electrical outlet next to the bed had no cover and wiring was exposed. My 4am wake-up call never rang but that didn't matter since I wasn't able to get much sleep anyway as the bed was hard as a rock. When I went downstairs to catch the 5am shuttle the door to the lobby was locked and only after pushing the buzzer several times did someone come and let me in. The good news is the shuttle was ready and I arrived at the airport on time.

The second stay was earlier this month (April). This time I arrived much earlier and told the front desk I was less than impressed with my last visit and asked if I could have a decent room. This time I stayed on the second level (once again) near the rear of the hotel. In this room the heater/ac unit was acceptable and the interior better, but still there was marks and small holes on the walls that could have easily been taken care of with a coat of paint. The room was not very clean and you could see layers of dust on the lamp shades and floors next to the walls. The bed was not great but no where's near the hard slab I experienced on my previous visit. My 4am wake up call was right on time.

Once again at 5am I made the trek downstairs to the lobby only to find the door locked again, so I buzzed and after a few minutes someone came to the door--they looked like they just had woke up. The airport shuttle driver was polite and courteous and the short 8 minute ride to the airport went on without a hitch.

I don't know if the Choice Hotel folks who own the Quality Inn franchises inspect their properties on a regular basis or not, but this particular hotel is not worthy of the name Quality--I think the photos speak for themselves. Next time I will spend the extra money and stay at the Hampton Inn immediately next door.

4 Thank Rob M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Hebrew first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 13, 2013

The room was clean, the free internet worked well, and the beds were comfortable. The highlight of our stay was Rebecca, the daytime front desk employee. Although we woke up nearly 2 hours after the free breakfast ended, Rebecca was super friendly and brought us out some bagels and pastries. She absolutely went above and beyond the call of duty and we left in a great mood thanks to her loveliness.

If you're expecting the Ritz Carlton, don't stay here. If you want a nice, clean, comfortable room for the night at a great price, this is the spot for you.

1 Thank Dan G
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel several times and it never shows it's age. Very clean quiet rooms. Excellent Choice Hotels usual breakfast every morning, with lots of room to sit. Convenient to Barber Motorsports Park and many restaurants. This hotel should really be listed in Irondale to show how close it is to the track.

Room Tip: Room 164 towards the back is quiet and convenient to parking.
1 Thank Molokairaceofficial
Mountain Home, Arkansas
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

After being told the empty-looking Hampton next door was booked (???) we were so tired, we just went next door.
This hotel is older, but the lady at the front desk was so nice, and the lobby was very clean, so I decided to stay.

The room was also clean, and had been updated more than others I've stayed at for $60.

The beds were fine, no complaints there. Not Hampton beds, but we were comfortable.

We had a decent night's sleep (could've been a tad better if the fan on the heat and a/c unit could have run on constantly).

There were no loud or loitering people coming and going, never heard sounds from other rooms- all in all I feel like we got what we paid for, and I was pleasantly surprised for the price range and age of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank KaiyaMarie
hacket
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Upon arrival, there was a stinch in the entrance of the lobby, never did figure what it was. The front desk man was not too friendly. And when we got to the room, using normal voices apparently we woke a neighbor, very thin walls. The "no-slip" mat in the bath tup was black around all the edges as if it had not been cleaned. Upon one flush with 1 small piece of toilet paper in the toilet, the water rose quickly near the rim. By the second person using, it was clogged and out of commission for the night. The next morning my dad had to go get a plunger and fix it himself. That should have been the house keeping! The door didn't shut too well and was very squeeky. These may seem like minor things to some, but when you've driven 5-6 hours and still have 9-10 left, a great night's sleep is much needed. I would NOT reccomend this place, even for the budget-minded...that was the only reason we stayed there, but i would have been willing to pay $20 more for a more comfortable and pleasurable stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hartselle
Reviewed March 4, 2013

this hotel is an awesome place to stay it is very clean and the owners and employees are very friendly and make you feel very welcome and the rooms are very nice with wonderful flat screen televisions and the continental breakfast is hot and so homemade

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I had a limited budget so I compared prices on all of the options in the area and this location offered significant saving. Nightly rates were running $40 less than competitors at the same exit.

The facilities (lobby and landscaping) were clean, well appointed and maintained. My room was just what I expected - functional, clean, reasonably appointed and well maintained (there were some minor, mostly cosmetic shortcomings, but nothing that interfered with the function of the room or my enjoyment of the stay.)

Likewise, I found the breakfast to be just what I expected and a great value for a facility in this price range: there were a variety of pastries, fruit, juice, coffee, cereal, and the ever-popular waffles. Yes the eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy were pre-prepared, but they were plentiful and presented in a clean, well maintained area with plenty of condiments and such that allowed me to construct an enjoyable, hearty breakfast at no cost.

Desk staff were friendly and accommodating. I expressed at check-in that I needed a good internet connection (something I've learned pays off in budget locations) and staff helped with this as well as my specific room location request.

I'd definitely stay there anytime I'm looking for a short stay on a budget.

Room Tip: If you need a strong internet connection when staying at an affordable motel, always let front desk...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham East Irondale
Comfort Inn Birmingham - Irondale
Hampton Inn Birmingham / Leeds, AL
Quality Inn & Suites Birmingham Highway 280
La Quinta Inn & Suites Birmingham Hoover

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!