“Booked 1 nite charged for 3; bathroom old”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #54 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Got one room and it had no electricity. We were moved to another room and it had no hot water. Ice machine wasn't working...Hey, we are not in a third world here are we? Had to leave early in the AM and got home (booked/stayed 1 night) only to find a 3 day charge.

I argued...but the front desk guy only agreed to reimburse me with two more days. To make things easier I just agreed until I get there and personally see the registration form.

I go to B'ham a lot...but wouldn't recommend this hotel due to the above.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 3, 2010

We stayed here because it was close to where we needed to be to move my step-daughter. We arrived late at night and left early the next morning so fortunately didn't have to stay very long.
My husband checked us in so I can't tell you what that was like.
We pulled around the back of the building (lots of parking available) and then carried our stuff into an old building. The halls were old and smelled old. The carpet smelled like every person that had walked the halls. Everything seemed really old. It was depressing. The room was tiny and, yes, it was old. The furniture was old, worn, and musty. I'm not a picky person, but this place really was icky. I didn't want to sit on the bedspread, much less slip in between the covers. I never let my naked feet touch the ground - the carpet was gross.
Left without doing the free breakfast. Went to the Krispy Kreme down the street, instead.
Glad I was only there for one night. Ewwww....

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 27, 2010

This property seemed promising given that it previously was a Hampton Inn (the new one is directly across the street). The lobby is well-appointed and the check-in was pretty quick. Once we arrived in our room, we noted that the a/c was loud - the entire unit cycled on and off whenever the compressor kicked in and it kept waking us up during the night. The in-room wireless didn't work since the site wasn't providing my LAN card with an IP address. I called the desk and the woman who answered the phone didn't know what I was talking about and told me I could come to the lobby to use the business center computer. As I had about 2 hours of work to do, I didn't want to tie up the one computer. Additionally, isn't that what in-room WiFi is supposed to eliminate - people having to wait to use a computer in the lobby? The in-room hairdryer had a wall plug that was damaged and it showed signs of a short on the outside of the plug (black smoke-like substance on the plug). The breakfast that was served was very limited and there were only a few of each food item available. The hot water in the decanter was tepid at best and there weren't any knives available to cut a waffle. My wife had to pull it apart with two forks. When I checked out, I told the man behind the desk about the wireless problem and he went into a room to refresh the router. Too bad the female who was on duty the previous night didn't know that. Overall, the place seemed clean but it seems that the little things that need to be taken care of, and attention to small customer service details, are not being thought off or considered by the staff or owners. But for the price, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2010

Do not waste your money at this hotel. The "hot breakfast" was pretty much gone when we got to the lobby (1/2 hour before the end of breakfast hours). The clerk behind the desk was uninformed and not trained to do her job. When I asked about how to get Delta Skymile credit she simply said the hotel didn't do that--I had to call the 1-800 number to find out how. She had no idea how to retroactively assign AAA credit, and in the end charged my credit card 4 times for one night stay. The manager, Ken, took care of it later, but never once apologized for the inconvenience. Lastly, the room was DEF not worth $84.99 in terms of decor, amenities, and furnishings etc. I should have just stayed at a super 8 for what we got. DEF way OVERpriced for the quality of service.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2009

This was a semi-random choice for an overnight stay on our way home from Tybee Island, GA. Boy did we get lucky! The hotel is situated above the street, so was fairly quiet, other than the occasional sound of people coming and going until 9pm or so. We booked a nonsmoking king room and searched for a coupon online. Wound up paying $73 including tax. The room was very clean, the bed was deliciously comfortable and the pillows felt like down (but were polyester). The only con was the quality of the free breakfast. It was truly awful. Not 'I'll make do with a bite til I can get real food' but 'OMG no way am I eating this EW!' Oh almost forgot - it's a pet friendly hotel. I stated in my reservation we had dogs but we were not charged for them.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2009

Stayed here FRIDAY and Saturday night.Hotel was very nice hard to find sign was not lit up.For this to be a new hotel i find it hard to believe the pool heater was already broke.Came back to our room Saturday evening to find only one of our beds was made and it looked like a 3 year old made it.other bed was not made at all.Gave us new towels but left all our trash,empty soap wrappers,shampoo and conditioner bottles in the bath tub.People that was with us had the same problem with the trash part.If they get new housekeeping i would not mind staying again.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed August 28, 2009

I recently had to travel to Birmingham due to a death in the family there. Because events were on the East side of town and somewhat close to Airport, I booked another hotel in that area, stayed one night, then checked the Hampton Inn and moved over there.
What a great decision. The hotel [name brand nationally known] that I vacated charged me $20 more per night than the Hampton Inn rate, but the Hampton FAR exceeds the other in quality. I don't know where to start. The Staff was simply the top, best, most professional, personable, courteous and effective staff one could hope for. The property has spacious gathering space, a decent workout facility, indoor pool, excellent business center and internet service, and good food [breakfast]. Everything was squeaky clean and bright and delightful. The bed was so comfy that I jerked the sheets & cover to see what brand and model it is, as my wife and I both agreed on its exceptional comfort.

I could pick at them about the choice of muffins or the lack of a 2-room accomodation with kitchenette, but on the whole I enjoyed this stay, despite the sad occasion, as much as any hotel I've ever stayed in. Kudos to the management and staff - you have a rare vibe going there. Great work, y'all.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo