This hotel is gorgeous; I would guess it’s not more than a few years old. Everything inside was clean and attractive. The two nights I stayed there were great overall, yet entirely different. Below is my story. [Disclosure: I am a Marriott Silver Elite member]
I pulled in on a Sunday, late afternoon, and the place was empty. There were only a dozen or so cars in the parking lot. Couldn’t believe it. I had dinner at the hotel with a local buddy of mine, and we were at one of only two tables being served. Everything was fine, and I was very happy since it seemed I had the whole place to myself.
On Monday, a huge number of people piled in. I think there must have been some big business meetings or a major event going on. All the guests looked like part of a big-meeting-is-happening crowd. That evening, there was tons of noise coming from the room next door; it sounded like a whole family—with rambunctious kids—was staying in that room. I happened by the front desk and simply inquired as to who was staying in the room next to me, and the staff immediately caught on as to what might be a problem. I didn’t approach the desk specifically to complain, but after staff asked, I did admit that there seemed to be a full family staying in the adjacent room, and that the noise level (mostly from frolicking kids) was bugging me. I cannot tell you how happy I was that staff immediately TOOK OWNERSHIP of this problem. Even though I expressed concern about making a formal complaint, everyone involved (three young women; all exemplary hotel staff) assured me that the situation would be handled discreetly and quickly. It was. I heard not one peep from that room the rest of the night. Furthermore, I was offered—totally via staff’s volition—a complimentary breakfast the next day, plus an invitation to check out the concierge amenities. I cannot think of a better way to do business in the hospitality realm. If there is a true measure of customer service, a large part of it would be how problems get solved. On that account, the staff got a perfect score.
For your consideration:
(1) The property is situated in a relatively upscale business park. There is plenty of surface parking around the building.
(2) My room was very comfortable, with great beds. The area is pretty quiet at night.
(3) The bathrooms have TONS of counter space (good design!)
(4) There are two concierge levels; the top floor has a separate lounge with two TVs, plus munchie food and drinks served.
(5) The restaurant is awesome; I had a great dinner and two excellent breakfasts. A buffet is offered, or one can order off the menu.
(6) The “business center” has free internet (thanks!)
(7) The “fitness center” gets a C+: a few treadmills, a couple of weight machines and a decent set of dumbbells.
(8) Route 280 presents a frustrating drive during most times of the day. It is wall-to-wall traffic during peak hours, but stays pretty heavy during the day until well past the evening peak. During my stay in the area, there was roadway construction (lanes closed) that was ultimately aimed at increasing overall vehicular capacity. Still, if you’re heading downtown, add in way more time than you think it would take to drive the nine miles into the city. Since my stay was for leisure travel, I made a point to avoid the peak driving times.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The superior quality and location of our Newly Renovated Birmingham hotel will make every trip a pleasure. Centrally located off I-459 and highway 280 and near the Summit outdoor plaza, we offer a complimentary shuttle service to local businesses and restaurants within a two mile radius. If it's family fun you want, Alabama Adventure Amusement Park and the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail are just minutes away, and our indoor pool is great for splashing with the kids. At the center of our hotel is the Marriott Greatroom; flexible seating and spaces with a contemporary style and design, a coffee bar proudly serving Starbucks® coffee, and a chef-crafted menu of small plates and pours. Newly renovated guest rooms feature ultra comfortable bedding, flat screen LCD HDTVs, and ergonomic work spaces. For your important meeting or special occasion, our state-of-the-art event facilities, custom catering and certified wedding planner are perfect for a flawless event. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your Birmingham Marriott reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Birmingham Hotel Birmingham