“Awesome hotel; fantastic staff”

Birmingham Marriott
Ranked #26 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This hotel is gorgeous; I would guess it’s not more than a few years old. Everything inside was clean and attractive. The two nights I stayed there were great overall, yet entirely different. Below is my story. [Disclosure: I am a Marriott Silver Elite member]

I pulled in on a Sunday, late afternoon, and the place was empty. There were only a dozen or so cars in the parking lot. Couldn’t believe it. I had dinner at the hotel with a local buddy of mine, and we were at one of only two tables being served. Everything was fine, and I was very happy since it seemed I had the whole place to myself.

On Monday, a huge number of people piled in. I think there must have been some big business meetings or a major event going on. All the guests looked like part of a big-meeting-is-happening crowd. That evening, there was tons of noise coming from the room next door; it sounded like a whole family—with rambunctious kids—was staying in that room. I happened by the front desk and simply inquired as to who was staying in the room next to me, and the staff immediately caught on as to what might be a problem. I didn’t approach the desk specifically to complain, but after staff asked, I did admit that there seemed to be a full family staying in the adjacent room, and that the noise level (mostly from frolicking kids) was bugging me. I cannot tell you how happy I was that staff immediately TOOK OWNERSHIP of this problem. Even though I expressed concern about making a formal complaint, everyone involved (three young women; all exemplary hotel staff) assured me that the situation would be handled discreetly and quickly. It was. I heard not one peep from that room the rest of the night. Furthermore, I was offered—totally via staff’s volition—a complimentary breakfast the next day, plus an invitation to check out the concierge amenities. I cannot think of a better way to do business in the hospitality realm. If there is a true measure of customer service, a large part of it would be how problems get solved. On that account, the staff got a perfect score.

For your consideration:
(1) The property is situated in a relatively upscale business park. There is plenty of surface parking around the building.
(2) My room was very comfortable, with great beds. The area is pretty quiet at night.
(3) The bathrooms have TONS of counter space (good design!)
(4) There are two concierge levels; the top floor has a separate lounge with two TVs, plus munchie food and drinks served.
(5) The restaurant is awesome; I had a great dinner and two excellent breakfasts. A buffet is offered, or one can order off the menu.
(6) The “business center” has free internet (thanks!)
(7) The “fitness center” gets a C+: a few treadmills, a couple of weight machines and a decent set of dumbbells.
(8) Route 280 presents a frustrating drive during most times of the day. It is wall-to-wall traffic during peak hours, but stays pretty heavy during the day until well past the evening peak. During my stay in the area, there was roadway construction (lanes closed) that was ultimately aimed at increasing overall vehicular capacity. Still, if you’re heading downtown, add in way more time than you think it would take to drive the nine miles into the city. Since my stay was for leisure travel, I made a point to avoid the peak driving times.

Room Tip: Get a room facing away from traffic, i.e., northeast side of the hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Suites were nice, two seperate rooms, kitchen was clean. but..the sofa bed was the most uncomfortable bed ever slept in. the mattress was so worn and thin, there was no support.
sleeping on the floor would of been a little more comfy.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Marriott Birmingham is one of the best hotels on which I have ever stayed. Allison and Tanya work the desk at night and both provide service beyond compare. Both go above and beyond to ensure the customers have what they need. Restaurant is excellent and overall, I would rate all of the employees and the facility as excellent. Stay here and you will see.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We really enjoyed our recent two day stay. We were welcomed by a very helpful receptionist Kasey Taylor who handle my requests and needs very professionally and always with a smile. All during our stay she and other receptionists we their for us. The Housekeepers responded quickly when we found we were short bedding for our couch bed. Very nice visit.

Room Tip: Kasey Taylor set us up on the best floor and a quite area of the Hotel. Talk to her or the other rec...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 20, 2013

When we came to check-in tonight after a long day our reservations somehow got canceled. Tanya one of the two front desk staff made the experince very enjoyable and she got me and another business associate our rooms and got us access to the concierge lounge. In fact she placed us on the same floor. Tanya made a potential bad experience an EXCELLENT one. This is one of the reasons I always like to choose Marriott chain of hotels.
Tim Skeldon

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tim S
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I travel on a weekly basis to many hotels across the southeast region. The customer service at the Birmingham Marriott is awesome. This is my first pick hotel for the Birmingham, AL area. From the first time you enter the door you are greeted by the associates at the front desk (Kyla, Tonya, etc to name a few.....) who know you by name and greet you with a big smile!!! Edward in the conceirge lounge also delievers quality customer service at each one of my visits he is very friendly and very accomodating to make sure I feel at home. The managers (Matt) that I have seen here at the property are always walking the lobby to make sure to greet customers and welcoming them for choosing Marriott. This hotel is truly a strong leader in customer service and I am never disappointed about my stay. The decor may be outdated in the hotel bedrooms but the customer service here will keep you coming back. Marriott Birmingham employees keep up the great work you are all awesome!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The room was average but the bed was quite comfortable! The outstanding aspect of this hotel, besides location, was the service was a welcome surprise! From the greetings at the front desk to the manager's offer to help with our luggage ( he had walked into the parking area as we were unloading), and to the restaurant downstairs the service was outstanding! Exceeding expectations in all areas except, and this was also a surprise, the attendant in the ex lounge. He seemed rather uninterested in the guests.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business