“EXTREME HOSPITALITY!”

Ranked #26 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Phoenix, Arizona
“EXTREME HOSPITALITY!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed here a few times last year as our son was at college in Birmingham. We returned this spring to attend some sporting festivities and were amazed, no astounded that everyone remembered us--many by name!! The same friendly attitude, incomparable service and simply gracious hospitality were still the hallmark of this lovely hotel. The lobby and restaurant have been renovated and updated to include a starbucks counter with some pastries and goodies and the restaurant bar is a little more inviting aesthetically. The same great food--try the egg white frittata, it is delicious!!!

Edward, in the Concierge lounge bends over backwards to make us feel as though we are the most valued members of a private club--but talking to other guests over a glass of wine, we realized they all feel the same way!! The rooms are spacious and comfortable, housekeeping is wonderful! Lots of nice amenities in soaps and coffee maker in room, not to mention the complimentary laundry area available to guests!! The work out facility is quite good and immaculate. I truly appreciated the complimentary ear phones!

One evening, we stopped into the Concierge lounge on our way to our room. It was quite late and Edward had begun to put the perishables away. Nelson, the friendliest, most delightful gentleman from engineering happened off the elevator and saw a man looking bewildered and asked if he could help him. Turns out the fellow wanted to buy a beer, so Nelson took care of it for him---totally not his responsibility, but I love this about the folks here, they all step up to help the guest whenever they are needed and wherever they can. We have spoken to Nelson on every one of our visits, and my greatest concern is that someone would steal him away as he is a TREASURE!

The front desk was as always, impeccably professional, quick and gracious in welcoming and addressing our every question or need. The serving staff in the restaurant make you feel as though they have been happily awaiting your arrival....truly, this is a property where we always feel wanted and valued and certainly remembered. The value here is not even in numbers.

Michael Hogan, Kyla Provitt, Edward, Nelson and so many others have made each stay memorable. We will never stay anywhere else in Birmingham--by the way the location is excellent to the Summit Mall, Samford university, UAB and all of downtown Homewood, Birmingham and Vestavia.

You will not be disappointed!!!

Room Tip: We have stayed in many different rooms, all are good. No spa, excuse my mistake in highlighting! A...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bluewar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
French Lick, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Birmingham Marriott in March for a three day siminar for my work. The staff has customer service down to an art! It was a very nice experience. The front desk staff members were very attentive to my needs, sometime anticipating them before I asked. The service was very fast and courteous. The accomidations for the siminar were perfect, and everything that we needed was provided without having to ask for them. I was very impressed.
Stella S.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

I work for a college baseball team & we spent 2 nights at this hotel. The staff was great to work with prior to check-in. When we arrived, everything was ready, very easy. The rooms were spacious & the beds were very comfortable...heard zero noise while inside room...very quiet. The food was outstanding and the wait staff took care of our every need. Also, above aveage exercise room. The location of hotel was easy to get in & out of. Located close to restaurants and The Summit. If you are in Birmingham for business or pleasure, this hotel is a must stay.

Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is one of those cookie cutter hotels that look the same all over the US from the outside. When you pull up the first thought is "Oh well at least there won't be any surprises". Well..... There are suprises, but from a good point of view. It may look the same as hundreds of others, but you can tell when you step in that it is well run and has good management. The front desk isn't just friendly, they do those little things, like step out from behind the desk and show you physically to the elevators etc. When we had leftovers from dinner one night we discovered that we didn't have refrigerator in our room (thought we did). When I called down to the front desk, there were apologies galore. My boxed leftovers were taken by a bellman, sealed and wrapped in plastic wrap, tagged like baggage and put in a kitchen refrigerator for me. I was left standing with a bag claim check for the next day - with a surprised look on my face. Anybody from Marriott reading this? Take note. This is how you do it!

As an Elite member I normally have access to the Conciege lounge, however in North America they all close from Friday noon to Sunday evening. Most properties take the attitude that its just tough if you're there on the weekend. However a really well run property doesn't. We were given apologies for the lounge being closed and coupons for breakfast in the restuarant as compensation - without having to ask. In my experience probably 1 in 10 do this - AND IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED! (It should be standard operating procedure anyway - bad corporate policy).

As far as neat and clean - it is as standard as any other full service Marriott. Location is really good on the Hwy 280 corridor south of the city near lots of good restaurants.

Would I stay here again? Sure would. Matter of fact - unless my business is downtown - it will be my first choice in this area.

Mobile, AL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

This was a good hotel, what I would expect from a full service Marriott. Two things jumped out. One the front desk staff at check in. (Candice & John maybe?). They helped me straighten out a problem with my stay that other folks might have just blown off. On the other side of the equation, is the business center. Like many full service Marriotts, they have a a crazy set up, that makes it almost impossible to print anything; and adding to the mayhem here was some sort of weird firewall that didn't allow me to access the internet at all. No problem from the room, but the business center was a no-go. Bad ju-ju Marriott. You really need to work on that.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel! I am a weekly traveler and I have tried out many of the "top" hotels in Birmingham. Of the hotels that I've stayed at, this hotel stands above the others in the area. The hotel has an atmosphere better than most other Marriotts and rooms that are better than expected as well. The thing that sets this hotel apart from the others is their service. By far this hotel has the best service of any hotel I have stayed at. The welcoming experience, concierge lounge, and restaurant are all built around having great quality of service for the guests. If you are looking for a consistently good hotel that will do whatever is necessary to meet your needs, then this is the hotel to stay at in Birmingham.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is one of my top two favorite domestic hotels. I travel every week and know that I will always have an excellent stay at the Marriott Birmingham. The rooms are always clean, the beds very comfortable, and I can't extend enough compliments to absolutely everyone on the staff. I have never stayed anywhere else where the front desk agents come out from behind the desk to hand you your keys and walk with you to direct you toward your room. I want to extend a special shout-out to Tonya and Allison, who always make sure that I get my favorite room and personally see to any needs that I may have. Kudos as well to Ed in the Concierge Lounge, the perfect host. As an aside, the food in the CL has improved greatly since my last visit some weeks ago. It was always good, but it is now even better. This is the only place that I stay when in the Birmingham area; in fact, I will drive an hour or two to my venue to return here after hours rather than stay somewhere other than this Marriott.

Room Tip: The concierge floor is the best.