“Ghetto, Hood, Slum, take your pick”

Days Inn Birmingham/West
Ranked #59 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Operators of the hotel were no help with problems on the property. Breakfast area filthy with over flowing trash cans, tables dirty. Had to pull a gun on a black man trying to get into my room. People hanging around on the walkways drinking outside of my room. Was asked a number of times for money in the parking lot from people just "hanging out".

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank stealthhunter

Reviewed February 13, 2010

I booked this hotel online because it looked nice and clean and the pictures it showed were very inviting! I totally agree with the majority of the people here.....THIS ROOM WAS BEYOND NASTY!!!!! The tub was stopped up, so I showered in standing water with black stuff all over the tub, on the hand held shower head, it was yellow, but had greasy black looking stuff on it!! the ironing board looked like a cat had pissed all over it....ewww so nasty. There wasn't a thing in the room that was dusted, and hadn't been in some time. The bathroom floor was so wet I almost slipped and fell!!! The toilet had not been cleaned in weeks....and was nasty even on the outside and under the seat.....I cleaned it before I even sat on it!! There were 3 major light bulbs out, so I only had the bathroom and the desk light. I really like reading and it was impossible to do on the bed with no light!!! I was so mad, I called and told them I wanted towels right now and light bulbs too! Also I requested a smoking room and they gave me a non-smoking room, so when my hubby went to get the towels he also got me a ashtray. It smelled so badly, and not like cigarette smoke, just nasty!!! The man refused to fix the lights that night, said he would take care of it in the morning. Acted like I was was a bad person for complaining....it was just sickening! I hated it and will NEVER stay there again. If I had come here first and read the reviews I would not have stayed there at all, and why I didn't, I don't know!! Valuable lesson learned....always read the reviews when booking online!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CovLuv1956
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Do not stay here. I had booked online and when arriving the room smelled so horrible I went back to the front desk and requested another room. It was no better, It was the worst hotel stay I had ever experienced. DO NOT STAY HERE !!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank miwitraveler
Reviewed September 15, 2009

Dreadful stay - no food - cook had gone home ill. Area ruff. Room stank of cat's p. I ended catching some bug and went home ill as well. Don't ever stay there.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank SallieKent
Reviewed September 5, 2009

I reserved the room with this hotel online and upon viewing the photos on the days inn website thought this would be a descent place to stay for the price. I was so wrong!!! my daughter had to be in the hospital at childrens in birmingham for a bone marrow biopsy.. her rest was very important. Upon arriving the first thing I noticed was the neighborhood.. and I do mean "hood". The surrounding neighborhood was horrifying.. our first question to the front desk person was "is it safe"? Tired and ready to rest we checked in and upon opening the door to our room the smell was awful.. the room smelled like death. The sheets were filthy.. there was dried something all over the table and the ironing board. The phone was so overcrusted with filth I was afraid to touch it to complain. We wouldn't even let our child touch anything. Calling from our cell phone to inform the desk staff that we would not be staying.. the man at the desk began yelling at me to exit his room immediately. Needless to say my husband was in rare form upon approaching the front desk to get our refund. We were not charged a cancellation fee!!! This was the most disgusting hotel I have ever seen. How the health department can in good concious pass such a dump I will never know. I hope that my experience steers some other unsuspecting family clear of this establishment... and we didn't even get to discussing the swampy green pool!!!lol.

We found a wonderful days inn on exit 252 Hoover exit off of I65 going towards Montgomery.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank amberpvhs
Reviewed August 15, 2009

It's nearly midnight, and we are comfortably ensconced at the Hampton Inn. We just arrived here after leaving the Days Inn at 905 11th Court West in Birmingham. I have never stayed in a hotel that bad in my life. We found bedbugs. The whole room felt damp on arrival, and we didn't realize we had a problem until we got bitten. Disgusting. And the man at the desk was unbelievable -- he tried to charge me a $15 cancellation fee. Heck, he could have PAID me $500 and I would still sit down and write this review. It was horrid.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank mguerard
Reviewed August 2, 2009

We wholeheartedly disagree with the awful comments made previously about this hotel. We found the room to be very clean. The bed was way more comfortable than the one we slept in the next night in a much more pricey hotel in TN, and the a/c worked much better, also. Unless you count my husband's snoring :), the noise level was almost nonexistent, and we were on the highway side of the building. Easy access after exiting interstate. Friendly, efficient staff on check-in and check-out. The only real complaints we had were very trivial and will not prevent us from staying here again if needing a place to stay in the area. We would have preferred to have been able to have gotten our breakfast and taken it back to the room. Also, we would have liked to have watched CBS on TV, but the CBS station was not available due to a satellite problem.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Extended Stay America - Birmingham - Wildwood
Comfort Inn Birmingham - Irondale
La Quinta Inn & Suites Birmingham Homewood
Quality Inn & Suites Birmingham Highway 280
Candlewood Suites Birmingham/Homewood
Hampton Inn Birmingham/Bessemer

Been to Days Inn Birmingham/West? Share your experiences!