La Quinta Inn & Suites Birmingham Homewood
$100
$170
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewswafflesstate farmcontinental breakfastshopping and restaurantseasy accessthe breakfast arearoom was largeroad tripclean roomsenjoyed my stayfront desk staffgreat place to staystaff was very friendlypetwalmartinterstatecereal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 29, 2010

We got a great rate at this place, we booked way before our stay and got a $35 AARP rate since my Dad was paying. For that amount of money it was an acceptable hotel, had we paid more, we would have been displeased. The hotel is older and worn, since LQ is updating a lot of their properties, hopefully this one is on the short list.

The beds were comfy but the TVs are really old. The hotel only has one luggage cart which can be annoying if you have to wait on it.

The staff was very friendly and helpfiul, the breakfast left a little to be desired but there were the main staples like cereal, bagels muffins and yogurt as well as coffe and juice .

It's in a good location, a little confusing to get to in rush hour traffic but there are TONS of restaurants and shops like Wal-Mart and Old Navy less than a mile away so that was nice after a long day of driving!

For $40 or under its a steal but it's not worth paying anymore than that.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 18, 2010

This is my first stay at a La Quinta Inn and my instincts were correct. While checking in, we could hear a dog barking from someone's room.
This is a very basic hotel. Breaksfast bar is pretty non-existent - unless like you hard boiled eggs. Three stars for this property is a stretch.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2009

I was traveling through the Birmingham area with my boyfriend and two dogs and needed a decent pet friendly hotel to stay at. I read all the reviews about this property so we decided to make this our stop over for one night just after Christmas. BIG MISTAKE! Personally, I have never paid so much for a room (with tax it came to $89 per night) and been so utterly disappointed. Here's what we found (in chronological order, but see #8 for the worst of the worst), you decide if it's some place you would want to stay...

1. Hotel looked average, nothing spectacular, in the lobby and front desk areas. Carpet was worn and the floor wasn't clean but wasn't disgustingly dirty either.
2. The front desk agents were friendly and very helpful throughout our stay.
3. I booked a King, Non-smoking with a microwave and Frig (the frig was imperative as we were traveling with perishable goods). We were put in room 114 and the frig didn’t work (it very obviously hadn’t been defrosted in a VERY long time, there was at least 2 inches of ice build up on the back wall of the interior). The front desk agent offered to move us to room 207. I checked that room personally before moving to be sure the frig worked…it didn’t work in that room either so we stayed in room 114. When I returned to the front desk, the agent told me those are the only two non-smoking rooms available (they never offered to move a frig from another room into room 114 which would have been customary). She was on the phone with the maintenance supervisor (he was not on property, we checked in later in the evening around 8PM) who instructed me to turn the frig down and give it a couple minutes then turn it back up slowly and that should kick start the cooling again. I did this in room 114 and it worked enough to cool the items for the night but the cooling was just enough for our items not to spoil, and the freezer was too full of ice to be useful.
4. Rooms were worn and very “used” looking (both room 114 and 207 were similar in wear so I would bet all the rooms are about the same). The rooms could use a refresh that’s for sure.
5. Bed was comfortable.
6. Large area to walk the dogs was a plus but watch for “land mines”. It was very apparent that the hotel was hoping guests were going to pick up poop and the grounds keeper was not going to do it if the guests didn’t.
7. No trash bags in the trash containers. Could be an oversight on the housekeepers part, could be a cost saving method for the hotel, either way the cans were clean when we got there but it doesn’t seem very sanitary to not have trash bags in the rooms.
8. On the morning we were to check out (we stayed only one night) I got up to shower and as I moved the curtain a dirty washcloth was hanging on top of the shower curtain rail. The washcloth was not from our stay and was apparently left by the housekeeper who had neglected to remove it when cleaning the room. I was horrified and disgusted to find this. Had I found this the night prior I NEVER would have stayed at this hotel. If they can’t even remove a dirty washcloth then lord only knows what else they don’t clean or forget to clean. I immediately reported the issue to the front desk. They offered to move us but I wasn’t going to spend one more second in this hotel; not to mention we were due to check out shortly anyway so moving didn’t make sense. I told her we were leaving and would be out in less than 30 minutes. They did not charge us for the night due to this issue.
I work in the hotel industry and have for 12+ years. In my hotel career I’ve worked at hotels from Motel 6 to Hilton’s to 4 and 5 star boutique hotels but never have I seen such poor housekeeping and upkeep of a hotel. The staff was friendly but there is only so much you can do once a guest has lost faith in your establishment. We chose not to eat the breakfast in fear we might get ill if they had prepared the food with as much carelessness as they cleaned the room. Our stay had been mediocre at best and when we found the dirty washcloth it simply made us happy to be leaving this property as quickly as possible.

If you choose to take the chance and stay here I truly hope your stay is better than ours but at the very least head my warnings that your stay could end up just like ours. Good luck!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2009

Traveled by this place many many times and always hoped one day I'd get to stay here!!!:) Well guess what?? I'm here!!! I love this place!! So very nice staff, great pet grounds, clean rooms, roomy rooms, have all accomidations a true traveler needs. Guest Laundry, fridge/mic in KING ROOMS ONLY (keep that in mind). Internet could be better but the up's beat the downs sometimes!!!:) Wonderful place, Great beds, very clean. Keep it up LQ's you;ve got it going on!!! Love you guys in the big part of the office, I;m an LQ rewards member, I will be bck to this one asap!!!! :) Thank you!!! Great Stay. Could;ve have been happier!!!!:)))))

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Stopped in Birmingham on our way from North Carolina to Mississippi, and needed a place that allowed pets. We didn't do much shopping around because it was spur of the moment, but for a place that allows dogs, I can't imagine that you'd do much better. You stay on the 3rd floor if traveling with a pet, and while not the most pristine accomodations ever, for one or two nights it gets the job done. The breakfast was included in the price, and yes there is a waffle station!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple