“Excellent Value”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Birmingham Homewood
Ranked #20 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Washington, Indiana, United States
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I wanted to stay here after our spring break trip as it is half way home, I booked it a week ago. get here and there are people running around like crazy, the carpet it filthy and bubbled up, you could about trip on it. The elevator is nasty, don't touch the rail, wallpaper is peeling off the walls. Went to get in the whirlpool and there's a lock on the gate so I went to the desk and was told it's closed. needed to hang up some clothing but no hangers, most LQ's have refrigerator, but not here..towels are thin and stiff. Very disappointed in this LQ, they're usually a favorite chain. I sat in road construction for over an hour just to keep my reservation but if I knew I was expecting this I would've kept going. There's another LQ not too far from here.

Room Tip: drive a little farther to the next hotel or just drive home
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Fieldale, Virginia
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Was there 3/17/13. Great location for the area. Had to wait to check in - only one person on duty and they were away from the desk. Room was on the bottom floor and window was open to courtyard - made sure to lock it & check room for safety reasons. Comfortable beds & average breakfast. Okay room for the price. Little older & worn, but you get what you pay for.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 19, 2013

this was a wonderful trip and nice hotel. i am planning another trip in birmingham in may and i will stay at this hotel if at all possible. the room was very nice and the staff was so sweet, the breakfast was nice with a good variety....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We have been staying here for over 4 months now and would not stay anywhere else. This place feels like home.
Courtney at the front desk is absolutly amazing! Always greets us with a huge smile and makes sure our reservations are made for our return trip and makes sure everything was in perfect order during our stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This WOULD have been a bad review, but they made things right. Over 2 weeks before our stay, we reserved a double & confirmed it had a mini-fridge & microwave (traveling with our 2 kids). When we arrived, we went to our room & NO f. or m. ... We called the front desk & explained the situation & she said she'd call us right back. We waited, waited & waited... No call. We called back... No answer. Tried again.... No answer. A 3rd time... No answer (calls were in a 15 min. time frame). So, my husband went all the way back to the lobby (our room was located on the 2nd floor on the opposite side of the building from the lobby). A little while later he called me from his cell, to tell me they only had 4 dbl. rooms with mic. & fridges & they all had occupants - sorry. I told him to request an upgrade since they didn't reserve the room we'd asked for... They said no. Uhhhh... I think they must've heard me through my husband's cell (I'm sure I was loud enough), that I would be leaving feedback on every travel site on the web, b/c this is ridiculous & awful customer service! They upgraded us. Let me clarify... I normally wouldn't make such a big deal about something, but we had traveled all day & had to have a place to store sandwich fixings & other small perishable things for our 4-day stay. So, a fridge was important & the reason we made a point to confirm our room would have one.
So, we get to the room & start unloading... Turned the fridge temp up to cool it down & it didn't cool much. Then, I realized that it was b/c the seal apparently didn't function anymore, so the door didn't completely close. We had already unpacked & were exhausted, so we just kept a suitcase propped against it the whole time & that worked.
The positives: It's a nice, clean place to stay that's reasonably priced. They offer a continental breakfast (muffins, bagels, coffee, make-your-own waffles & etc...). It's close to restaurants & shopping. The room had flat screen T.V.'s & was comfortable.
We would stay there again & I would recommend staying there... but, in the future I would request a written (e-mailed) confirmation of what kind of room (amenities) are being reserved & still call ahead to confirm. But, the bottom line is... They made it right. So, that's good customer service & very important! And again, it's CLEAN... & that's of upmost importance to me when staying at a hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Chatham, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The lobby of this hotel is lovely and so are the grounds. I could see myself having breakfast in the courtyard outside in the summer.

The hotel is a little tired but I think they are slowly renovating. The front desk staff when we arrived where delightful.

The room was next to the elevator which was not a problem from about 11pm to 7am. It certainly did not keep us awake.

Unfortunately I wanted a shower, my husband was still sleeping and when I tried the shower I could only get hot water. No matter how I turned the tap it just came out at various degrees of hot also there was hardly any flow, just a trickle. I did not have time to have maintanance look at it as by the time I took a good all over wash my husband was up and awake and almost ready to leave.

I told the girl at the front desk and she said I should have called but I explained the circumstance. She said she would have to get maintainance to look at it but she could not find the employee responsible. She trusted me and honoured their policy and gave me the room free. I was very grateful that first she trusted my word and second that she stood behind the company policy. Thank you very much. If I stay the next time I will check the shower when I first get in the room and if I need to change rooms. Other than that a good stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple