“Shame on Hotwire”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Birmingham Homewood
Ranked #22 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Bought as a three star and it was only a two star. Only saved a couple of dollars by booking with hotwire. Big rip off. Motel room and elevator were dirty.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Cwlib

Reviewed May 2, 2012

Stayed here 4 days last week with 15 other guys on a golf trip to RTJ Trail. They guys don't usually stay high end and are not too picky usually. But usually, LaQuinta is at least a fair brand. We were quite disappointed. Each of the rooms we rented had something broken in it, only came with one waste basket, never did get coffee or soap/shampoo refills, and (even for guys) were all pretty dirty. The hot tub was broken x 4 days. The beds are really uncomfortable ! The breakfast was fair to poor. The maid service was abysmal. The only bright spot was the staff, who were at least somewhat cheerful but not exactly helpful. We were sorely disappointed and will not be back.... Oh, and the local, State and county taxes added up to over 18% each night ! YiKES !

Room Tip: Stay away from this place !
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank massimoo1
Reviewed April 21, 2012

For the most part, the La Quinta brand is an "okay" brand. When I typically stay there, I expect a comfortable bed, warm shower, and that is about it. I "won" this hotel off of Hotwire on a golf vacation and it was an absolute nightmare.

This hotel is VERY smoky. If you can't stand cigarette smoke, stay elsewhere. For those of us who aren't used to smoking hotels/restaurants nowadays, it is incredibly off-putting. The hotel was very loud, and the customer service was poor. We did not have towels in our room, and there were about 3 people working in the entire building, so it took quite some time to get our towels. The bed sheets had a very industrial feel (think hospitals, etc.) and just seemed dirty due to the surroundings.

This hotel was poorly kept, and come morning, we just wanted to get out as soon as possible. They did have a continental breakfast, but after seeing the condition of the rooms/general hotel, the last thing we wanted to do was eat food that had been prepared there.

The one thing we did like was that it was convenient to the courses that we played in Hoover, and was right near a mile-long strip of restaurants and shops.

Do NOT chance staying here- I'd have gladly paid to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank parforethecourse
Reviewed April 1, 2012

This was the dirtiest, most run down hotel we have ever stayed at! Filth in the corners of the bathroom, hair on the counter, disgustingly dirty commom areas. The only redeeming factor was that the location was OK.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2012

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 18, 2012

La Quinta is a mid-level brand- not sure why some reviewers expect more. That being said, the rooms are relatively large, beds comfortable, the staff friendly, and the breakfast adequate. Property was clean/neat although it could probably use a bit of sprucing up. Not the quietest of properties (late evening (after 10PM) hallway noise that my ever vigilant dog noticed more than me). Towels could be softer. However, if you are traveling with a pet, a really good value. I'd stay there again on my next trip to the area with my dog. Without my dog, I probably prefer a bit more comfort, but I would be staying in a hotel with a higher price tag as well. As long as you manage your expectations (it's not a Hyatt people), its a pretty good experience.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Traveling with my daughter, future son-in-law and my grandpuppy to do some wedding preparations and shopping. Experience was great from the very beginning. Ty checked me in and was very personable. Keys were ready and they had even paid attention to the request that the two rooms I booked were close together (they were side by side). He even gave us a ticket for free dessert/appetizer at a local restaurant since we would be dining that evening! Both rooms were immaculate, looking as though they may have been recently redone (linens and towels looked and felt new, carpet looked new). Really appreciated that the lights were on and the TV had a very relaxing beach/moon scene playing that could easily have acted as a sound machine to lull me to sleep. There was no problem with traffic sounds even though I was on that side of the hotel. The only thing that disturbed the quietness of the room was in the morning when folks would go by the room talking rather loudly (hotel was full of young people there for a weekend event), but I find this to be an issue in almost any hotel I stay at. Breakfast was good. Waffles made with batter provided, oatmeal, cold cereal, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, bagels, cream cheese and juices, milk, etc. Late check-out was no problem. Indeed, every interaction with the staff was pleasant from the front desk staff to the housekeeping staff encountered in the hallway. So overall a great visit and we will definitely visit this pet-friendly hotel whenever we travel to Birmingham again.

• Stayed: March 2012