“Our Trip to Florida”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Birmingham Hoover
Ranked #25 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
delta,mo
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I've always been impressed with LaQuintas, but not this one. The room looked o.k.and the tv was on when I entered the room, it was on a beach scene. When i went to make coffee the pot was missing parts! So i go to call the front desk and I can't find the telephone !!! So I went to the desk to get parts for the coffee pot and find out about the phone. I asked the lady if I had checked into a Motel 6 because there was no phone! I don't think she understood what I was talking about. She said they were having problems with the phone wiring and were going to have to rip the walls out to repair them and that they had taken the phones, that didn't work, out of the rooms. I think I should have been told this before I was given this room. It's sloppy housekeeping to not make sure the coffee pot was complete. The little box that holds the kleenex box was sitting on the back of the commode. the room did not have a refrigerator ( I have medicine that I have to keep refrigerated). I think the garbage trucks ran every 15 minutes all night. At least it sounded like it. And I think leaving the t.v. on is a waste of energy. All hotels have that "go green" sign so go figure. I won't ever stay here again.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Normally I do not send in a critique of an establishment, but since your requested my opinion of your facility I will be very honest on what my husband and I thought of your establishment.

1. After we were in our room # 308 we tried to turn on the TV. There was no remoted control in the room.
I call the desk clerk's phone but after I let it ring 10 times I decided to go to the lobby and speak directly with the clerk.
When I approached the desk the clerk was definitely having a personal conversation with a woman. The clerk never acknowledged that I was standing there. After a minute I said 'excuse me' to interrupt the conversation and told her why I was there. She immediately picked up a control that was on her counter and inserted new batteries into it. I can only assume that housekeeping gave the desk the battery after they cleaned our room and noticed that the remove was not working.

While in the room there was quite a bit of noise from the unit directly above us. It sounded as if they were moving heavy objects. The noise started up again later in the evening and disturbed my husband's sleep. I slept through that episode.

The toilet seat is the incorrect size for the toilet in that unit.

At breakfast the following morning we noticed the following:

The butter on the table was melted because it was in direct sunlight. The problem cound have been averted it the butter had been placed in a dish of ice cubes.

The coffee dispenser ran out of coffee and the staff did not have a back-up ready.

The window ledge behind the breakfast food table was loaded with bugs and dust. My impression was that housekeeping does not move the tables out to dust and clean.

There is an area where wallpaper is hanging down. It would only take some scotch tape as a quick fix until your maintenance people could secure it permanently.

I must tell you that sometimes I am super critical of establishments because I was a paid Secret Shopper in my younger days. I loved my job but I still look at businesses as though I am working.

Respectully yours,
Sheila R. Clemens
251/91-3295

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Hoover, Alabama
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stay at La Quinta inn often.First room no a/c, back to front desk, move to another room. Smells bath floors sticky with shoes on, chipping walls, doors look if they were used for drums. Choose somewhere else... Many overherd complants at front desk.!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Go to diffrent hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Fast easy check-in, clean room with comfortable bed. Biggest drawback is the lack of places to eat in close proximity. You have to get back on interstate and drive up another exit to get to a restaurant (even fast-food)!

Gulfport, Mississippi
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My first stay at this hotel went well and without any problems. That's the only reason why I'm rating this "average."
I called the front desk to ask about the air conditioning and the staff member asked if I brought a dog. I said yes and with an attitude, he said "Well you didn't tell me that. Pets aren't allowed on the first floor." First of all, I didn't know that and he didn't ask; next, I heard other dogs barking on this floor and said so. He said if I made sure my dogs kept it down I wouldn't have to move. I find it bad business that I would have to move on my own for their mistake since I checked "pets" on the online reservation. On top of that, the blankets on beds had holes in them and they were out of bar soap.
If it were just one of these problems, it would still have been an okay experience, but the combination of all three (along with one of my keys not working), led to a really miserable stay.

1 Thank Willofthewisp