“CRITIQUE OF BIRMINGHAM LAQUINTA INN (exit 147?)”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Birmingham Hoover
Ranked #22 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
A TripAdvisor Member
Lillian, Alabama, USA
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Normally I do not send in a critique of an establishment, but since your requested my opinion of your facility I will be very honest on what my husband and I thought of your establishment.

1. After we were in our room # 308 we tried to turn on the TV. There was no remoted control in the room.
I call the desk clerk's phone but after I let it ring 10 times I decided to go to the lobby and speak directly with the clerk.
When I approached the desk the clerk was definitely having a personal conversation with a woman. The clerk never acknowledged that I was standing there. After a minute I said 'excuse me' to interrupt the conversation and told her why I was there. She immediately picked up a control that was on her counter and inserted new batteries into it. I can only assume that housekeeping gave the desk the battery after they cleaned our room and noticed that the remove was not working.

While in the room there was quite a bit of noise from the unit directly above us. It sounded as if they were moving heavy objects. The noise started up again later in the evening and disturbed my husband's sleep. I slept through that episode.

The toilet seat is the incorrect size for the toilet in that unit.

At breakfast the following morning we noticed the following:

The butter on the table was melted because it was in direct sunlight. The problem cound have been averted it the butter had been placed in a dish of ice cubes.

The coffee dispenser ran out of coffee and the staff did not have a back-up ready.

The window ledge behind the breakfast food table was loaded with bugs and dust. My impression was that housekeeping does not move the tables out to dust and clean.

There is an area where wallpaper is hanging down. It would only take some scotch tape as a quick fix until your maintenance people could secure it permanently.

I must tell you that sometimes I am super critical of establishments because I was a paid Secret Shopper in my younger days. I loved my job but I still look at businesses as though I am working.

Respectully yours,
Sheila R. Clemens
251/91-3295

There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Birmingham Hoover

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stay at La Quinta inn often.First room no a/c, back to front desk, move to another room. Smells bath floors sticky with shoes on, chipping walls, doors look if they were used for drums. Choose somewhere else... Many overherd complants at front desk.!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Go to diffrent hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Fast easy check-in, clean room with comfortable bed. Biggest drawback is the lack of places to eat in close proximity. You have to get back on interstate and drive up another exit to get to a restaurant (even fast-food)!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

My first stay at this hotel went well and without any problems. That's the only reason why I'm rating this "average."
I called the front desk to ask about the air conditioning and the staff member asked if I brought a dog. I said yes and with an attitude, he said "Well you didn't tell me that. Pets aren't allowed on the first floor." First of all, I didn't know that and he didn't ask; next, I heard other dogs barking on this floor and said so. He said if I made sure my dogs kept it down I wouldn't have to move. I find it bad business that I would have to move on my own for their mistake since I checked "pets" on the online reservation. On top of that, the blankets on beds had holes in them and they were out of bar soap.
If it were just one of these problems, it would still have been an okay experience, but the combination of all three (along with one of my keys not working), led to a really miserable stay.

1  Thank Willofthewisp
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Booked this room on line. Arrived late at night. Room requested was smoking. Person on duty was nice, gave us our key and up the filthy elevator we went. Opened door to non-smoking room to see bed clothes bunched up on bed (looked like someone may have been under them), fast food cup on nightstand and lights on. Upon return to lobby, manager(?) apologized and said housekeeping marked room as clean. I reiterated that reservation also had been made for a smoking room.
Got to our "new" room and the door was cracked open. No one was inside and the bed was made so we put our stuff down. Bathroom was disgusting (urine stains down side of toilet and on floor). Carpet nasty. A few tiny bugs in bed. Slept on top of bedspread with clothes on and would not even shower in that skank hole.

Room Tip: Keep driving. This place is gross!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2012

All around clean and pleasant hotel; very friendly staff. Beautiful outdoor pool deck for those hot summer days. Rooms are nice, clean and comfortable. Didn't get a chance to sample the quality of the breakfast, as I slept in!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
Muscle Shoals, Alabama, USA
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This hotel is in a very good and convenient location. The rooms, serivce, and hotel staff were pleasant and it was very reasonably priced. Breakfast was good. I would recommend it and will stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business