“Not worth it!”

Ranked #34 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Clayton, Georgia
“Not worth it!”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

This hotel, though staffed by very helpful and courteous front staff, is not what you would expect from the Hilton name. For what you get, it is extremely overpriced. The hotel is OLD and only has a cosmetic face lift. The appointments are no better than those at hotels of half the cost. the walls are paper thin. It is VERY noisy. The ice machine didn't work. The cleaning staff seemed to be on vacation somewhere else. On top of this, there is typically a charge for internet access. cheaper hotels give it for free. What was I paying so much money for? I was extremely disappointed.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Openco
DOS_Birmingham, Director of Sales at Hilton Birmingham Perimeter Park, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Hello and thank you for your comments for your recent stay with us. I will agree with you, we do have a great, professional team that truly cares for all our guests. This is why your comments are so important to us. Without them we would not know what we can do to better service everyone.

You are correct our building is older. Depending on groups/organizations in the hotel noise can be a factor. I can flag your next reservation with us to be sure we accommodate you away from any groups we have in the house. I will address your remarks in regards to our housekeeping department, we do encourage our team members to address guests with hello, good morning ECT. The charge for internet service is based on brand standards, created by Hilton. Yes, some brands do include this service in guest room rates. The Hilton brand standard we follow does require a charge for internet service.

Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us your personal feedback. We will be sure to utilize this information to ensure all our guests enjoy staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Very nice hotel. Beautiful from the outside and great views from the executive lounge. Staff is very curtious and friendly. Great access to a major road. Front desk staff was fantastic and helpful. Hope to return here on business again.

Room Tip: 8th floor rooms are very nice and close to the executive lounge
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mgobluebison
Hello and thank you for your remarks. We do have a great hotel and our team, well we could not ask for any better. I will be sure to share your positive feedback with them. So often these days’ people only hear about the bad but the good is just as important.

Please keep in mind in the future we do provide a shuttle service too/from the airport and any offices within 5 miles of the hotel. Please let us know if we can ever assist.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for business two nights in June 2012. LoriBeth at the front desk was so friendly and made us feel welcome. The hotel was clean and nice but seemed a little overpriced. Our room didn't even have a microwave or refrigerator. The outdoor pool was also closed while we were there. They did have a nice fitness area. Overall, we were pleased and would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Director of Sales at Hilton Birmingham Perimeter Park, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear TNtravelfan067,

Thanks for your feedback! I just personally shared your comments with LoriBeth. She is one of our most recognized team members and was thrilled with the positive feedback.

It is true that our rooms are not equipped with microwaves or refrigerators as those are not standard amenities found in full-service hotels like our Hilton. We do have microwaves and refrigerators available for $10 each so when your travels bring you back through Birmingham, please let us know in advance that you'd like to have these in your room, and we'll make it happen for you.

I'm sorry that our pool was closed during your stay. There is a crack in the bottom and we were concerned that someone's foot may get hurt. We've now partially reopened the pool and have blocked off only that particular area. Several guests have since been in the pool with no issues reported. We plan to have it fixed very soon.

Again, thanks for the feedback and we look forward to your return very soon.

orlando, florida
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I stayed for two nights (June 20 and 21, 2012). I am a Hilton Diamond member and found this hotel to be "average" except the fact that the employees were very professional and helpful. I concur with the recent opinion & observations of "Alabama Traveler ()" with respect to the soft beds, location near a very busy corridor and status and quality of the food on the executive floor. I will add that I found the breakfast fruit selection very nice and fresh as well as the choice of either grits or oatmeal. The only true reason that I rated this a 4 star was the caring nature of each and every employee I encountered during my stay. All exhibited an honest concern for my comfort even, as in the case with the soft beds, they couldn't offer me a harder mattress. I will stay at this property again.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing SOUTH..the rooms facing north face the very busy highway and if you are a light...
1 Thank rggsquared
, Director of Sales at Hilton Birmingham Perimeter Park, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Greetings, rggsquared! Thanks for your comments about your recent stay at our Birmingham hotel. We pride ourselves on the service our team members deliver, and it sounds like you weren't disappointed while you were here. They make sure our hotel and its guests are well-loved.

I appreciate you following up with me offline about your specific room so the situation with your bed may be investigated. The next time you're with us, please note that you'd like an especially firm mattress, and we'll coordinate with maintenance to see if we can make magic for you.

Again, thanks for the feedback, and we all look forward to your return. Take care!

205-972-1123
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for business on a weeknight in June 2012. The hotel seemed to be showing its age, but has a very lively lobby bar.

Check in was very prompt and efficient. I was assigned Room 828, which was on the top floor. Because the 8th floor is also the executive floor, you have to swipe your room key in the elevator so that you can choose the 8th floor. The elevator never worked properly during the entire stay, so I just gave up trying to make it work. I would get off at the 7th floor and take the stairs to the 8th floor.

The size and amenities of the room are standard Hilton. When I first got to my room I noticed the bed was very soft. I asked the front desk if there were any rooms with a firmer bed, but I was told this was all that was offered. The rooms do not have refrigerators, but the front desk did send one up when I requested one.

The room had a damp smell, though overall it was clean. Also, you could see that the ottoman for the easy chair had some faint stains on it, which I guess is to be expected. The room was very quiet and had very thick curtains that overlapped, making the room very dark.

I visited the Executive Lounge to check out the evening and morning offerings. In the evening they had some mini quiches (like you get at Sam's Club), some sweet cheeses (fruits were mixed in the cheese), and chips and salsa. The plates in the lounge were very small so you couldn't get very much even if you wanted to. For breakfast the hot offering was some frozen biscuits that had been baked (think Pillsbury) with smoked sausage links on them. There were also some pastries and cereals available.

I ordered room service for dinner since the lounge appetizers were not what I wanted. I got a steak that was pretty well prepared. Strangely though the t-bone only had the strip steak part and was missing the tenderloin part, thus I should have just gotten the sirloin steak and saved some money. The mashed potatoes seemed real watery, but the grilled asparagus was nice.

The hotel is just off the US 280 corridor in Birmingham. While this area has plenty of stores and restaurants and is near the Summit shopping center, it also has very heavy slow moving traffic at most times of the day. Thus be prepared for the traffic.

I could not get very good mobile phone reception on my Verizon phone (though I could use the text messaging and web browser on the phone). I noticed that the hotel had an outdoor pool but it was roped off during my stay.

Overall, this hotel is fine, but other area hotels likely offer a better value.

1 Thank AlabamaTraveler0
, Director of Sales at Hilton Birmingham Perimeter Park, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Hello, AlabamaTraveler0! Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your recent stay at our Birmingham hotel. Based on your comments, we're taking a look at the key access situation for the Executive Level. When you return, please allow one of our team members to help you with this so you're not frustrated with that experience.

Regarding the bed, maintenance and housekeeping are evaluating the bed and box spring to ensure that they're set to a comfortable level. Housekeeping will also look into the ottoman. It is true that our rooms do not come with refrigerators unless specifically requested. Typically the fee is $10.

The food and beverage offerings in the Executive Lounge are not intended to serve as full meals so I'm glad you decided to take advantage of room service. Your experience with the T-bone offering is odd so we're also looking into that.

Our location along the 280 corridor puts guests in the mix of many of the businesses in Birmingham so traffic can be challenging during the morning and evening rushes. If your destination is within 5 miles of the hotel, please allow our shuttle to fight the traffic for you so you can start and end your business day hassle-free.

Unfortunately, our pool has cracked slightly so it was roped off for guest safety. We were concerned that someone may be hurt, and our guests' safety is our utmost concern. We've since reopened the pool roping off only that area. Several guests have enjoyed the pool and have reported only a lot of fun in the sun!

The next time travel brings you to Birmingham, I hope you'll give us another opportunity. I'm confident we can demonstrate the value with our warm, personalized service and attention to your needs.

Burbank, California
Reviewed May 29, 2012

My wife and I are from California and did not know what to expect since neither of us had been to the south before this trip. Knowing how the LA customer service level is, we were not prepared.

Upon entering the hotel, LoriBeth greeted us and checked us in with a smile and the welcome of a mother welcoming her children back home. She kept calling it 'her house' and you could tell she took pride in the hotel and wanted all the patrons to feel the same. Although we were bummed that we couldn't get a Queen or King size bed, the two doublebeds worked out just fine.

We had dinner that night at Steel's and Ethel was nothing but great with us. She never let the smile leave her face and was great at suggesting plates and drinks for us. She even spent some time to just chit-chat, which was very nice. The restaurant was closing so there was not a lot of people in there, however, she could have hid in the back and not engaged us, so that really stood out.

Other great employees were Shannon at the front desk (I think that was her name) and CeCe in the restaurant (for breakfast the next morning).

The food was great and the room was nice. The only complaint would be the noise in the hallway was not blocked by the front door. A better seal would fix this issue.

4 1/2 Stars

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
DOS_Birmingham, Director of Sales at Hilton Birmingham Perimeter Park, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Dear RedCab,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review of our Birmingham hotel. It's great to hear that your first trip to the South did not disappoint! LoriBeth, Ethel, Shannen and CeCe will all be recognized in our next team member function for having gone above and beyond in making your experience so memorable.

The next time you venture to our part of the country again, I hope Birmingham is on your list of stops and we have the chance to welcome you back "home."

All the best to you and your wife!

Hilton Birmingham Perimeter Park
Texas
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I stay frequently at Hilton properties and have stayed at the Perimeter many times over the past ten years since my employer is based in B'Ham but this is just an average hotel in my opinion. They did a refurb a few years ago but it still always seems worn to me. There is nothing necessarily wrong with the hotel but for some reason I am never able to sleep very well at this hotel. I do like the bar downstairs as it provides a nice meeting area for our team. The breakfast buffet was not worth the price and you may be better off just paying a la carte unless you eat a lot of food. I also hate hotel rooms where the bathroom doors swing within millimeters of the toilet. The location is one huge positive for the hotel. Very close to our business, and its close to the shopping and restaurants at the Summit. The place is comfortable , the staff is always nice but there is just something about this place that makes it still very average.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
DOS_Birmingham, Director of Sales at Hilton Birmingham Perimeter Park, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Dear HollyB,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. We very much value the relationship we have with your employer and your personal loyalty over the past 10 years. I appreciate your feedback that there's not necessarily anything wrong with the hotel and that you're comfortable here and find our staff to be nice, but clearly, we've lost the "wow" factor in your eyes. We're committed to regaining that.

Just the other day, I overheard a guest comment that the sleep he had here was even better than his sleep at home. Since you do travel here so frequently, I'll work to get you blocked into that room since the bed seems magical.

With regards to our breakfast buffet price, it important that our guests feel that there's value there. In addition to the hot and cold items available directly from the buffet, our breakfast chef is also delighted to prepare for you cooked-to-order eggs or a customized omelet and even a fresh Belgian waffle. Pricing those items from the a la carte menu is significantly more than the $13 buffet price. If you haven't had the opportunity to take advantage of the breakfast buffet features I mentioned, please do so the next time you're here.

In our next renovation, we'll look into the bathroom door/commode situation, but that may be a structural issue over which we have no control. I appreciate the comment!

HollyB, I'll keep an eye out for your next reservation, but please reach out to me directly when travel brings you back to Birmingham. Thanks again for your feedback about our Birmingham hotel!