“Wonderful night in a wonderful hotel”

Sheraton Birmingham
Ranked #33 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Wonderful night in a wonderful hotel”
Reviewed February 27, 2011

Spent just one night at this hotel and loved it...comfy beds in a nice clean room not too far from where we needed to be. I believe they had valet parking on site, but there was a cheaper garage right around the corner that's actually connected to the hotel's conference site. The interior of the hotel itself was beautiful and the room was large, clean, and comfortable. Everything you'd want from a hotel!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 17, 2011

On a getaway weekend with a friend. Parking is either valet for $20, or a block away for $12. As a solo female, I wanted valet, but none to be found. After 15 minutes, one showed up, told me to check in and come back. I did so. I had "cumbersome" luggage, dresses on hangers, some bags, etc., and needed a porter. Waited 20 minutes. None. The worst was no one said anything. I finally just dragged my stuff to my room. The worst was the next day. We slept until 9:30--housekeeper came by, we said come by later. We left at 10:30--I saw her, gave her $5, and said we were out for the day. We came back at 5:50--Room never touched!!! We called front desk, and after a couple of calls they say they would send housekeeper. We had to leave the room for half hour--hotel did not comp us a drink, or a $5 credit for food--nothing. They acted like it was our fault. Horrible service, no one cares because it is such a BIG hotel. Also, no taxis. Only good thing was comfy bed. I would never go back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
carrbur, Administrative Staff at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, February 24, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. We are glad to know you enjoyed the comfort of our Sheraton Brand Sweet Sleeper bedding. All feedback of your stay is taken seriously and shared with our staff. Unfortunately, there are missed opportunities. I do apologize for the issues you encountered with our housekeeping service and the lack of assistance by our guest agents. Your response helps to initiate adequate and incisive training for our associates. We value you as a guest and appreciate your confidence in us for your traveling need.
Warm Regards,
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 14, 2011

We arrived during a crowded concert night and was told valet was full that I would need to park in a crowded garage 2 blocks away & walk to lobby to check in with a long line of waiting guests. The couple checking in next to me were heard complaining that they needed an upgrade from their top of the line suite at $109/night as I checked into my small double room for $170/night. I went to my room complete with brown & red stains on the carpet, stains on the bed linens and black whiskers (I'm assuming from the last guest) in my hand towel. We slept in fits as the concert party people loudly roamed th hallways throughout the late hours of the night. Restaurants in the hotel were uncrowded, but I am guessing that was due to the low food quality at high prices. This is not a place that I would

• Stayed February 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. All feedback of your stay is taken seriously and shared with our staff. Unfortunately, there are missed opportunities. I do apologize for the issues you encountered with parking, the noise throughout the hotel during a concert weekend, and the cleanliness of your room. Your response helps to initiate more adequate and incisive training for our associates. We value you as a guest and appreciate your confidence in us for your traveling need.
Reviewed February 11, 2011

I am here at the Sheraton now in Birmingham for the world of wheels and this is the worst place I've ever stayed at!! There is a party going on and about 200 young people screaming from balcony to balcony and I've tried to reach the front desk multiple times! No answer. If you have to come to birmingham take one bit of advice DON'T STAY HERE!

• Stayed February 2011
carrbur, Adminstrative Staff at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, February 24, 2011
Dear Guest, It is always a pleasure to receive comments regarding your stay with us at the Sheraton Birmingham. We appreciate your confidence in us for your traveling need. All feedback of your stay is taken seriously and shared with our staff. Unfortunately, there are missed opportunities. I do apologize for the excessive noise during your stay. Your feedback is necessary for our ongoing efforts to improve our service. We value you as a guest and look forward to your return visit.
Warm Regard,
Tuscaloosa
Reviewed December 31, 2010

If you get a deal on Priceline, this hotel is worth it. However, parking charges and the fact that you'd have to eat in the hotel can add up. The room was relatively clean, however a few long hairs were on the bathroom floor. The bedding is nice, but the down comforter can be a little noisy if you toss and turn a lot...it kinda crunches. It's not in a good looking part of town and all that can be seen from the windows is the interstate. If you park in the deck, it's quite a walk to check-in. I'd recommend leaving your bags with someone at the front and then parking to avoid the hike with heavy bags. The pool was nice as was the sauna. It's pretty close to UAB hospital - about 7 minutes by car. In short, it's a solid hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your objective comments posted on Trip Advisor. We are glad to know you enjoyed your overall visit with us. All feedback of your stay is taken seriously and shared with our staff in an effort to improve the quality of our service, and better enhance our guest experience. We value you as a guest and look forward to your return stay.
Napoleonville, Louisiana
Reviewed December 23, 2010

My daughter and I stayed at The Sheraton Birmingham on December 21, 2010. We stayed here because of the close location to the BJCC for the Justin Bieber concert. If we would have know how bad the service and stay would have been, we would have stayed somewhere else.
When we arrived and went to check in, they had managers everywhere in the lobby. But, come check out time when managers would have been needed there were none.
First, valet parking was so unprofessional and unorganized. Second, one elevator was broken and the remaining where way to slow. Third, we had yellow, cold water to take showers. No Hot Water.
I would like to know where they spent their money on the renovations. They knew it would be a busy day with the concert. Why could they not have things fixed and ready.
For the amount of money they charge per night people should get much better service from a hotel.
We are very dissapointed and will not recomend or stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Dear Guest, the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel takes pleasure in communicating with all guest regarding their stay. Feedback of your experience allows us to implement more adequate and incisive training of our staff. Regrettably, there are missed opportunities by our associates. We do apologize for any inconvenience during your stay. We appreciate you for taking the time to post your comments. Thank you again for your feedback and being a guest at the Sheraton Birmingham.
Enterprise, Alabama
Reviewed December 8, 2010

I NEVER stay at rooms that are rated this low but a good friend said she had stayed here since it was remodeled and that it was very clean and nice. So, on her advice and because i was going to a conference at the BJCC I stayed here. I will never stay here again!

When I arrived it was chaos due to absolute full capacity. (14,000 people attended the conference.) I asked for assistance with my bags and valet parking so I skipped a lot of the long lines. I only was in line to check in - not to store my luggage. The young man who had my bags came to the elevator (where I was waiting in a line) and motioned for me to follow him. He took me up the service elevators straight to my room. He was very nice and helpful. All of the staff the whole time I was there were wonderful.

The room.....that is a different story. Tiny and closed in with an unvacuumed floor and dirty bedskirts, the room was less than what I expected. The only windows were to the atrium. The bathtub was dirty and the toilet looked as though it had never been scrubbed. There was a hair in the sink. The towels were the worst I have ever used and I have been poor. Because of my friends and the fact that I had to pay for the room either way, I just cleaned it as best as I could and stayed there. The convenience was nice (it is connected to the BJCC) but that is it. If you do not mind the state of the room, stay.

Check out was crazy. I called for assistance with my bags and had immediate help. The elevators were slow and some did not work for both days. Many of my friends took cold showers....the ones who had water at all. Luckily, I got up very early and had a good warm shower.

Valet parking $20. Breakfast with tip $21.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest, Thank you for your comments posted on Trip Advisor. I am glad to know that the team members you encountered were cordial and helpful. We are proud of our associates and the overall service they provide. Regrettably, there are missed opportunities. I do apologize for the issues you encountered in your room and your departure experience. We appreciate you letting us know so that we can be attended to. All comments are shared with our staff in an effort to improve all guest experiences. We value you as a guest and look forward to your return.