“Really pleased”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Greenville, South Carolina
“Really pleased”
Reviewed November 19, 2010

I was a vendor at a show in the ballroom area. Arriving a few minutes late, I asked for valet parking, according to a great man named Arthur, he was glad to handle my parking, help me unload my car and ask if I needed help getting to the banquet area. Then I realized I had no cash for a tip, Arthur immediately said "Don't worry about a tip, just tell me how I can help".
You never hear that from a valet depending on tips for most of their salary.
He smiled and wished me a great day. I told him I would get back with his tip, but business demanded that I could not before the end of his shift. I explained to his supervisor and left his tip with the Banquet Manager. We need more Arthurs in the Hospitality Industry.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Soubelle
carrbur, Administrative Staff at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, December 1, 2010
It is always a pleasure to receive correspondence from our guest regarding their stay with us at the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel. We are delighted to know the valet attendant engineered an enjoyable experience for you. We take all comments seriously and share them with our staff to insure adequate and incisive training. We value you as a guest and look forward to your return stay.
Warm Regard,
Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Fairhope, AL
Reviewed November 19, 2010

If you like badly stained carpets, tiny rooms, no drawers for clothes, no free in room internet access, no minifridg, overpriced restaurant, spotty housekeeping, insolent staff, you will love the Birmingham Sheraton. Two of the six days we were there they failed to clean the room. If as they claim it has been refurbished, they did a cheap, cheap job.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
The Sheraton Birmingham takes pleasure in receiving correspondence from our guest regarding their stay. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Our staff takes pride in the level of cleanliness, personal service to each guest, and the overall presentation of our hotel. Unfortunately, there are missed opportunities. We do take all comments seriously and share them with our staff to insure adequate and incisive training. We do apologize for the inconveniences during your stay. We value you as a guest and hope this experience did not impact your stay and the possibility of your return to our hotel. Thank you for your feedback and being a guest at the Sheraton Birmingham.
Warmest Regard,
Pasco, Washington
Reviewed November 19, 2010

Nice hotel, with free shuttle airport service. The hotel, however, isn't in an area where guests can walk to restaurants and shopping; for those you'll need to drive or take a taxi.

The rooms are of standard fare; nothing exceptional but not missing anything either.

Internet service fir a fee in the rooms and there's complimentary wifi in the lobby.

• Stayed November 2010
The Sheraton Birmingham takes pleasure in communicating with our guest regarding their stay. We do take all comments seriously and share them with our staff to insure adequate and incisive training. We value you as a guest and appreciate your feedback. We look forward to your return stay so that you may enjoy Sheraton’s Brand promises; the Link @ Sheraton with complementary use of computers and internet service, Sheraton Sweet Sleeper, Sheraton Club, Sheraton Fitness by Core Performances, and also to take advantage of the Starwood Preferred Guest Program. Thank you again for your feedback and being a guest at the Sheraton Birmingham.
Warm Regard,
North Carolina
Reviewed November 17, 2010

We are SPG Gold members, but that was not noted on the reservation at the hotel although the reservation clerk on the telephone acknowledged the fact. Ok, so that is rectified, and now we are to receive a room on the top floor of the atrium, but before that can happen, another clerk comes up behind our clerk waiting to talk with her. When our clerk does not interrupt her conversation with us, the 2nd clerk starts tapping her finger nail on the desk. Our clerk turns to talk to the 2nd clerk, and we are all but forgotten. Finally, I clear my throat to get our clerk's attention and she puts her hand up to me in a gesture to say, just a minute, just a minute. I then tap my fingernail on the desk, and our clerk came to her senses and finished our check-in, but without a word of apology or thanks for your patience.
I park the car and return with our luggage and go to the elevator to go to our room. The elevator would not go to the 17th floor, so I return to our clerk and ask how to get to our room. See motions with her head, while still talking to the 2nd clerk, to a different elevator in the corner behind the escalators. We go to that elevator and are in line behind 3 people in wheel-chairs. It is the handicap elevator. I return to the desk and if the handicap elevator is the only means to reach the 17th floor. Her rather condescending reply was, No, you were supposed to go up the escalator. She never gave us complete directions to the elevators to the Gold rooms even thought we could not use the elevators that were visible to us and that we had to go to another floor to catch the proper elevator.
That young clerk had no idea of the duties of her job. That is the responsibility of management. We had stayed at the Birmingham Marriott 8 days prior, and there was a world of difference in the actions and the abilities of the staffs. Marriott is head and shoulders about Sheraton in Birmingham.
Avoid the Birmingham Sheraton.
WHL

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
The Sheraton Birmingham takes pleasure in communicating with our guest regarding their stay with us. Feedback of your experience allows us to implement more adequate and incisive training of our staff. We do take all comments seriously and share them with our staff so we may resolve any and all issues. Regrettably, there are missed opportunities. We apologize for the inadequate service during your check in process. We value you as a guest and hope these issues did not impact your stay and the possibility of your return to our hotel. Thank you again for your feedback and being a guest at the Sheraton Birmingham. Warm Regard, Hotel Management
Covington, Georgia
Reviewed November 12, 2010

We checked into the Sheraton around 10:30 at night so we decided to use the valet parking also because of the bad reviews from trip advisor about parking your own vehicle! We left our truck with no problems to the bellman. The next morning at 7 am we checked out and called for our vehicle. When they brought it up the bellman captain was out front and another bellman got out of the truck. My husband immediately noticed his very heavy truck box was completely detatched from the truck and setting in the bed of the truck. So my husband said what happened to my truck box and the bellman captain said "It wasnt like that when you got here?" My husband said NO but of course no one knew anything they never offered to find out what happened or to find out who parked it the night before or question who had pulled it up that morning. We were in a hurry to get to the hospital because a parishioner of our church was having surgery so we didnt have time to find the manager and report it but I am gonna call later today to report it!!! It appeared as if someone tried to steal the truck box and didnt realize it was so heavy and decided to leave it in the bed or maybe someone was planning on coming back to get it but we checked out to early. We paid $20 to park in valet because the reviews were not good from trip advisor if you parked on your own your vehicle might have gotten broken into!!! Well now you might want to avoid this location all together!!! Very suspicious acting bellman that works for this Sheraton!!! Not professional at all! I will not be staying at this location again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
The Sheraton Birmingham takes pleasure in communicating with our guest regarding their stay with us. Feedback of your experience allows us to implement more adequate and incisive training of our staff. Regrettably, there are missed opportunities. We do take all comments seriously and share them with our staff so we may resolve any and all issues. However, our parking accommodation is a separate entity from the hotel. We value you as a guest and hope these issues did not impact your stay and the possibility of your return to our hotel. Thank you again for your feedback and being a guest at the Sheraton Birmingham.
Warm Regard, Hotel Management
Huntsville, AL
Reviewed November 1, 2010

First things first: Ms. Phyllis Gilchrist and Paulette (front desk supervisors) BOTH went above and beyond the call to ensure we were welcomed at the Sheraton. Phyllis talked with us while we were just driving into the hotel area and gave us several parking options, several dining options, hotel and shuttle information ALL before 7 a.m. AND before we had checked in.

Paulette assisted us once we had eaten in the Atrium and realized that we had lost the credit card somewhere between home and Birmingham. She assisted us in an early check in and made what could have been a horrible experience for us very pleasant by her calming demeanor and excellent service.

The breakfast buffet at the Atrium was delicious, the wait staff attentive, the security people in the hotel all were very helpful and friendly. Everyone wearing a uniform and working for the Sheraton during my stay wins the Customer Service award as far as I'm concerned. This was my first stay at the hotel and first Classic. I will be back and will reserve at the Sheraton in Birmingham. Thank you for an excellent stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Lovejones4u
It is always a pleasure to receive correspondence from our guest regarding their stay. We are delighted to know you enjoyed your visit along with the sincere hospitality of our staff. Our staff takes pride in engineering an enjoyable experience for all guests. We value you as a guest and look forward to your return stay.
Warm Regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 26, 2010

I have no complaint about the hotel, its staff, or the amenities. they are all in keeping with what one should expect from a Sheraton. The staff really stood out and were very kind and welcoming. The type of Southern Hospitality you hear about b ut do not get to experience until you run into it in the "real" South. Birmingham is not a tourist mecca - dieing steal town so I would not take the family unless you are visiting relatives. (Born and raised in Alabama so I have a license to comment) People who are upset about service that does not snap to are simply nut understanding of the pace of life in the South as compared with Major Metro areas. Expect service to be efficient and polite but do not expect rushing about to take care of requests. You will be well taken care of but no one is going to pull the fire alarm to get things moving.

Restaurant was good but nothing to write home about - just as one would expect from Hotel Cuisine.

The Hotel was renovated just a few years ago and they added several new amenities including upgraded beds and furnishings.

Rooms are large and comfortable with great views of the city from the upper floors.

The one issue I had was that the air conditioner was set to a motion detector. so, if you go to sleep with the temp set at 72 in the Alabama humidity and heat of August do not expect it to stay that way. the motion detector turns the AC off after a half hour or so and
the room temp starts to rise. I woke up 4 times with the room temp at near 90. I called the management but they could not do anything about it. Who was the dim witted engineer that thought motion controlled AC was a good idea in Alabama?

Good deal for the price for those who do not mind the heat.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Philip_Herring
It is always a pleasure to receive correspondence from our guest regarding their stay. We are delighted to know you enjoyed your visit along with the sincere hospitality of our staff. Our staff takes pride in engineering an enjoyable experience for all guests. We do apologize for the automatic thermostat control not cooling your room to the desired temperature during your stay. Thank you for your feedback. We value you as a guest and look forward to your return stay.
Warm Regards,