“OK stay, don't let the photos scare you”

Sheraton Birmingham
Ranked #30 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, WA
“OK stay, don't let the photos scare you”
Reviewed October 24, 2009

This is a fairly typical convention hotel. Large, convenient to convention center. Nicely renovated lobby. My room was on the 3rd floor which was convenient as the workout room and pool were on the same level. Typical business traveler's room, updated with marble, dark wood, suede chairs, lots of lamps, but still looking a bit rough around the edges (ceiling tiles in bathroom chipped, trim pieces looking quite worn. Room was very warm my entire stay (2 nights). Male staff at check in was helpful; female staff at check out was not (tried to charge me for the room, which was prepaid). At the rate I paid, a good value but I would be upset if I'd paid the conference rate.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank dpenta
carrbur, Hotel Management at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, January 21, 2010
Dear Guest,
It is always a pleasure to receive feed back from our guest regarding their stay. I am delighted to know the location of your room to the fitness center, and the location of the convention complex were accommodating. Unfortunately, there are missed opportunities by our staff. I do apologize for the issue you had at check out. We value you as a guest and look forward to your return stay.
Warm Regards,
Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Nashville
Reviewed October 15, 2009

Our family stayed two nights at this hotel. The service we recieved was exceptional. All of the people there were very friendly at the time. On a sad note, the check out bill was wrong but the service desk ladies did get it sorted out. But...they had still not taken care of the debit for over a week even though I called and left messages but not one returned my call. I had to get corporate involved and it did get sorted out. Over all a nice hotel... just wish we didn't have to pay for parking!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
carrbur, Hotel Management at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, February 15, 2010
Dear Guest, the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel takes pleasure in communicating with our guest regarding their stay. We are delighted to know you received warm, sincere hospitality from our staff along with good service. Unfortunately, there are some missed opportunities. We do apologize for your check out experience. All comments are taken seriously and shared with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. Please know all your comments have been addressed. We value you as a guest and hope to see you soon for your return visit to our hotel. Thank you again for your feedback and being a guest at the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel.
Warm Regard,
Alabama
Reviewed October 7, 2009

I cannot lie. The Sheraton is your average big star hotel. Clean rooms, helpful staff, even the little shops in the hotel were enjoyable, but what dissapointed me was that breakfast was not included in the bill. I've stayed at hotels with fees much more affordable than those of the Sheraton that offererd all-you-can-eat breakfasts. Don't get me wrong, they DO serve breakfast, but a somewhat hefty price. Another downfall was the internet area. They have far too few computers for the size of the hotel (four or five if I'm not mistaken)!! And what annoyed me was that, despite the long queue of people waiting to use one of the computers, the people at the computers took as much time as they felt like taking. I honestly think if Sheraton is to have as few comps as they have, they could at least stipulate a certain amount of time for each user, say 60 or 90 minutes per person. I had to wait for almost an hour to use the comps only to give up 'cause no one would budge!

Anyways, apart from that it's not too bad. (although the coffee bought downstairs next to the computer area was awful!)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel takes pleasure in communicating with our guest regarding their stay. All comments are taken seriously and are shared with our staff to insure resolution. We are excited to hear that your room accommodations were pleasurable for you. Our staff takes pride in our property and the level of service rendered to our guest during their stay. We do apologize for the extended use of the complementary computers in the Link. As we continue to upgrade our facility, the amenities of our property will greatly enhance our guest experience. We do value you as a guest and look forward to your return stay.
Warm Regards,
dragondream7
Reviewed October 4, 2009

Price: In addition to room price, they charge for internet access and parking (see next line).
Parking: Parking is in a garage a few blocks over. $12/ day, and yes you have to park in the garage. There is off-street parking, but it's metered. Also, there is a sky walk from the parking garage to the hotel, but you have to walk through the convention center to get to the hotel so it's a 5-10 min walk from your car to the hotel and back.
Location: The convention center is right next door as is a concert hall. There is absolutely nothing for several blocks surrounding the hotel. However, you are only about 2 miles from downtown.
Room amenities: No in-room-safe. No mini-bar/ fridge. Had a coffee maker with Starbucks coffee & tea selection. Blowdryer. The usual shampoo/ condition/ soap. Nice towels. About 20 TV channels.
Room service: No late night menu. Service stops at 11p.m. I browsed over the breakfast menu. $6 for a bagel. $9 for yogurt & fruit. I passed, so I can't speak on the quality of the food.
Overall, I thought it was your typical business traveler hotel. I would assume that they do a lot of business from the convention center/ concert hall. Nothing stood out to me as spectacularly good or bad. However, I would not pay the 4-star price unless I was there for a convention.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank dragondream7
New Jersey
Reviewed September 2, 2009

The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly but nothing too impressive. Location is near the convention center which is good for business but nothing was going on near there in the evening. Cabs were easy to call so you could venture out into the city and it is near the citys tram/bus (but I did not use it). The food in the hotel was average, I suggest you venture out to find a place to eat. price was OK but I think there are better values if you look around.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed August 30, 2009

We stayed one night (Saturday) with our 15 month old. This is a typical Sheraton with the added feature of a connected convention center, so there were a lot of things going on (wedding, body building competition, some sort of family oriented ball, beauty pageant, gun show). They apparently had 700 people in and out that day, but we didn't notice.

The room is typical Sheraton style -- large, comfortable bed, roomy shower with good water pressure, Starbucks coffee. We had an atrium room so no complaints about the freeway view. There was plenty of room to move around, but fee based Wi-Fi is ridiculous at this point.

In all we found the hotel pleasant and convenient. There was a nice sports bar, indoor pool and a game room with about 6-8 video games. The facility seemed safe, the staff extremely nice (southern hospitality). I would definitely have no problem staying here for a few nights for either business or pleasure

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Louisville
Reviewed August 18, 2009

Desk Clerks could be more efficient: Checked in -- asked for parking; Desk Clerk did not add; Not on bill had to return to desk clerk to update bill before car was released; Walls to thin; Noise from hall and next room irritating.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business