“Best Service Ever”

GreenLeadersSilver level
panama city fl
“Best Service Ever”
Reviewed April 19, 2009

We stayed on our trip back from tennessee and the people working were the most helpful and professional employees I have ever seen. We always stay at a 4 star Hotel through priceline and I am so glad they picked The Sheraton. Our room was beautiful and clean. We need an extra bed for our child and they offered to switch rooms for us, but we took the little bed and it was so comfy. When we needed something we called the front dest and it was there within minutes. The night before we stayed at a Sheraton downtown Nashville, no comparison. Also the pool in Birmingham was so warm and relaxing. Computers were plentiful and easy to get on. Cannot wait to come back.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
carrbur, Management at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, April 27, 2009
Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed March 29, 2009

This is an expensive convention hotel, so the traveler should expect it to be at least very good in every respect, and this hotel, this stay was not. What's worse, a year ago when I stayed at this hotel, there were elevator problems that persist and are now even worse.

Check in was quick and convenient and I was able to check in early with no problems. There was a problem with my bill - a double charge - but the clerk quick fixed it and gave me a revised bill quickly. There were no problems with check in.

I will say that the arrangement of the hotel is odd. If you do not use the valet parking, the parking is more than reasonable at $7/day, but it is a long walk from the parking deck to the hotel and the elevators.

The elevators were a seroius problem. Of the five elevators on my end of the hotel (and not all elevators access all floors) two of them were inoperable. The ones that worked were pretty quick but on my floor, and by report of others, on other floors, the "down" buttons did not work. I had to press the up button and get on an elevator going up in order to go down. I even held the button down and the descending elevators did not stop at my floor. Of the three elevators on the "atrium" end of the hotel, only one or two were working at any given time. When I arrived (and before I realized that I couldn't get to my room on those elevators) only one of them was working (and this is for 17 floors) and later, a friend complained that only one was working again and it took him a very long time to get from his room on a higher floor down to the lobby. I would hate to be staying at this hotel if there were a big convention and before I stay here again, I'll check the elevators to make sure they are working.

The rooms were very nice and clean as they should be, with nice furniture and bathroom and amenities. No refrigerator or microwave, though. The maid did not show up to clean my room until I was back in it at almost 3pm however, so I had to vacate to have it cleaned. Internet access was an extra $13/day and there is no wireless internet. The internet is hard wired through an ethernet cable, but their cable is very short and hard wired into the wall so you can only use your laptop from the desk and desk chair. I like to sit in bed and to my research and writing there but was not able to do so or in any other chair than the desk chair.

The drink machines on several floors were completely empty. I finally found one with drinks on the highest floor after checking several. Restaurants are expensive and other than a Subway on the outside of the hotel, there is no place to eat without driving or taking public transportation. There are two coffee shops, one of which was almost always closed. The other was very busy and insufficiently staffed in the mornings when a lot of people were ordering coffee.

One final issue: while I was there, there was some sort of "world hour" during which energy was to be saved, and to do so, the lights in the hotel lobbies were dimmed but in one lobby they were turned off so that when I descended on an escalator, it was into darkness, lit only by a few candles. I appreciate the hotel wanting to participate in a conservation event but it seemed a little dangerous, especially if elderly people with less acute vision were moving about.

Due mainly to the problems with the elevators, but also due to the extra expense of the iinternet and the lack of wireless access - or at least a reasonably long ethernet cable - I will not likely choose this hotel again if I am in Birmingham.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Dear Guest, it is always a pleasure to receive correspondence from our guest regarding their stay with us at the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel. We take all comments seriously and share them with our staff. We are delighted to know you were pleased with the cleanliness of your room. However, we do apologize for the extended wait of the elevators during your stay. The Sheraton Birmingham Hotel is nearing the completion stage of a 16 million dollar renovation and is very excited to see our renovations come to a conclusion. For our guest convenience, we do have complementary internet access in our lobby and also have The Link which is free to guests providing computers, printing and access to the internet. We hope you can return to experience these services. We value you as a guest and look forward to your return stay.

Pensacola, FL
Reviewed March 20, 2009

Over half the elevators aren't working during the Mary Kay conference weekend. Restaurants are woefully inadequate for the number of people. Although the hotel is connected to the convention center, there is nothing else nearby except for the lone Subway which is also woefully understaffed. The hotel staff is slow, slow, slower than slow. This hotel is separated from all the nice hotels. There is nowhere to park convenient. Valet parking is overworked. Many of the conference attendees gave up trying to get something to eat or drink. MK screwed up royally on this one. With many of the MK girls bringing their families, this was not the hotel. There is nothing within walking distance to do with children. The restaurants in the hotel are not child-friendly. The rooms are old and worn. The heating/cooling thermostat is poorly designed. The hotel looks like an old Embassy Suites. The atrium is noisy. The hotel is a labyrinth worthy of Theseus and the minotaur - not a good place to be with small children. I would never come back here of my own choice. In fact, I'm sorry my wife made the reservation here. I wish we had stayed home. Fortunately, my five-year-old and two-year-old were just fine with the peanut butter sandwiches I brought along.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank chemguy
Dear Guest, the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel takes pleasure in communicating with our guest regarding their stay. Feedback of your experience allows us to implement more adequate and incisive training of our staff. Unfortunately, there are missed opportunities by our staff. We do take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. We do apologize for your inconvenience during your stay. We value you as a guest and hope these issues did not impact your stay and the possibility of your return to our hotel. Thank you again for your feedback and being a guest at the Sheraton Birmingham.
Warm Regard,
VA
Reviewed March 16, 2009

I have, for sometime, learned to never expect anything to be as discribed or promised when ordering or buying sight unseen.....BUT THIS HAS CHANGED MY PERSPECTIVE. This Sheraton in Birmingham, AL is now my Reference Standard that I will compare all other stays from this point on. I was told that this is the largest motel in Alabama. Yes, it was. 700+ rooms.....and the service was big, as well. I could not ask for a more accommodating staff, cleanliness of facility, excellent dinning, and with a good in-town location. The BJCC Arena was next door. The Dart transit took us to Five Points (way across town) to find any style restaurant one would want for .25 each way. We never moved our car from the time we parked until we left. ABSOLUTELY a place I will recommend.

• Stayed March 2009
carrbur, Hotel Management at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, March 18, 2009
Dear Guest, We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel. Our staff takes pride in the level of service rendered to our guest during their stay. We appreciate you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay with us. We value you as a guest and look forward to seeing you again very soon for your next stay in Birmingham.
Warm Regards,
Austin, Tx.
Reviewed March 9, 2009

My room face faced the atrium and I didn't have any noise problems. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable.
The elevators were out of order or really slow. There was no excuse for this.
To use the internet in the room you had to pay an exhorbitant fee. I camped out in the lobby to use the wifi for free.
The lobby cafe was below par. I'd suggest the subway situated in the same building.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
carrbur, Management at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, May 19, 2009
Dear Guest, it is always a pleasure to receive correspondence from our guest regarding their stay with us at the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel. We are delighted to know you were pleased with the comfort of your bed. I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. We are currently ending a 16 million dollar renovation and are very excited to see our renovations come to a conclusion. We do apologize for your experience with our elevators. We value you as a guest and hope this issue did not impact your stay and the possibility of your return to our hotel. Thank you again for your feedback and being a guest at the Sheraton Birmingham. Warm Regards, Hotel Management
San Diego, CA
Reviewed February 25, 2009

I had never been to Birmingham before, but went to see an old friend. The hotel itself was average. It was clean and had all of the basic amenities you would expect. The city of Birmingham itself was very disappointing, but if you have to go there, I would definitely stay here.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
carrbur, Hotel Management at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, March 3, 2009
Dear Guest, thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Sheraton Birmingham and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Birmingham. Hotel Management
Hot Coffee, Ms
Reviewed February 6, 2009

Sheraton overbooked hotel and members of our party were relocated to another hotel away from convention area, we arrived to our room and we found a shortage of towels and face cloths,. It gets better, no Hot Water. Called the desk and they said they would check the boiler and Let it run longer. Talk about not having it together.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Dear Guest, It is always a pleasure to receive feedback regarding your stay with us at the Sheraton Birmingham. We appreciate your confidence in us for your traveling need. I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Sheraton Birmingham. I do apologize for the shortage of towels and the lack of hot water in your room. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. We value you as a guest and hope these issues did not impact your stay and the possibility of your return to our hotel. Again, thank you for your feedback which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service. Warmest Regards,