“Surprisingly Pleased Sheraton Birmingham”

Sheraton Birmingham
Ranked #34 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Surprisingly Pleased Sheraton Birmingham”
Reviewed November 23, 2008

After reading all of the reviews, i was concerned that I might forfiet my money and drive 2 hours back to Atlanta. Fortunately, I was plesantly surprised. I asked for a renovated room at check-in. We got a room on the 10th floor that looked close to brand new. The beds were soft, comfy & had fresh clean linens, even down to the comforter. The bathroom had granite countertops and siding on the tub walls. The bathroom floor was some sort of ceramic tile, very aesthetically pleasing. All of the fixtures in the bathroom were new. There was a big work desk with nice comfortable leather chair in our room, plus 2 nice faux suede covered chairs & a small table. There was also 1 more lounge type chair. There was an iron and an ironing board and a hair dryer. Complimentary Starbucks self brew coffee bags and a coffee pot were provided also. Only bad was small stain on floor & it looked like robe hook on back of door in bathroom was missing and hole on door had not been filled in. This was really minor. Also walk from parking lot was not bad. Most of walk was thru enclosed corridors in hotel. I would definitely stay here again. I am a seasoned traveler & usually hard to please. Our accomodations were 3.5 to 4 stars. The buffett breakfast was also very good and had lots of variety.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — $20 Valet parking
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank deehp41
carrbur, Hotel Management at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, March 6, 2009
Dear Guest, the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel takes pleasure in communicating with our guest regarding their stay. We are excited to hear that your room accommodations were pleasurable for you. Our staff takes pride in our property and the level of service rendered to our guest during their stay. Our property is nearing the end of a 16 Million Dollar renovation and we are very excited to see our renovations come to a conclusion. We value you as a guest and look forward to your return stay.
Warmest Regards, Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed November 19, 2008

This is a typical conference/convention hotel. Do not stay here unless you have a conference in the same area or at the convention center, which is right across the street. It is not worth it, otherwise. The place has nice areas and poor areas; my room was fine, but some parts of the hotel were worn. There are not many choices for food inside the hotel, and one must walk some blocks to get to any sort of downtown stores. But there is really no drug store or convenience store anywhere close for walkers. This is not a hotel for a pleasure trip, and not a great hotel for tourists or those without a car. Do not pay full price for this hotel.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Nashvillecat
Alabama
Reviewed November 9, 2008

My husband and I stayed here on a Friday night because we had a class to attend in Birmingham. We booked the hotel through priceline and paid half the normal price.

My intial impression was that the hotel halls were dirty and outdated. There was trash in the fake potted plants. The room was okay, although I thought there would be a mini-fridge in it and there wasn't.

On a positive note, the beds were very comfortable and I slept great! The staff was fast with check-in/out and friendly. The sports bar was dirty, but the burger was okay (and our server was very nice).

In the end, I would not stay here and pay the full price because I don't think it's worth that much. Plus, you have to pay for parking ($12/day) and just about everything else. No complimentary anything here. I realize that the reason it is so high priced is because it is downtown and it is a huge convention place. Still, I would rather spend the money somewhere else.

• Liked — The beds
  • Disliked — The price
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear Guest, it is always a pleasure to receive correspondence from our guest regarding their stay with us at the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel. We are delighted to know you were pleased with your room accommodation. I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize for the isolated areas of the hotel that needed additional attention by our housekeeping staff. All comments are shared with our staff in an effort to improve all guest experiences. We value you as a guest and look forward to your return stay.
Thank you again for your comments.
Hotel Management
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 21, 2008

This place is so big, it should have its own zipcode. Really interesting architecture, with an atrium-type design, only immense. Parking is a long, complicated hike to check-in. Check-in was easy and fast, and the staff was friendly. The room itself was gorgeous, modern, and super-clean. Nice little balcony overlooking the open restaurants below. Comfortable beds and bedding.

I don't know why folks are complaining about this place, I found it to be of exceptional quality and perhaps even a cut above many of the other Sheraton locations I have stayed in.

• Stayed October 2008
Houma, Louisiana
Reviewed September 2, 2008

We evacuated from Louisiana for Hurricane Gustav and had a 4-week old infant with us. The a/c in our room did not work, the bathroom was dirty, the towels were in shreds, and the room was run down. Only 1 of 4 elevators were working and the hotel was full. The pool was closed for maintenance. The most awful part is that the hotel was accepting guests with dogs. There was excrement in the main connecting hallway which we rolled over with the baby stroller. When we noticed it, we saw that the entire hallway carpeting was stained with urine and feces. At one point when we entered the elevator, there was urine sprayed all over the elevator wall. It was disgusting and that's when we checked out .

On the positive side, the bedding was new and very nice and comfortable. The hotel staff was wonderful, friendly, and very kind to us and we were very grateful for their hospitality, Hotel management should consider opening a boarding facility for its guests' pets instead of letting pet owners ruin its assets..

• Liked — Hotel staff were wonderful
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Clemmons, NC
Reviewed July 22, 2008

Our room was located on the 8th floor adjacent to the Atrium and next to the stairs exit. There was a fraternity conference and the hotel was full of fraternity members, of which we were not involved. We stayed three nights and the first night I had about two hours of sleep because of the loud noise in the hallway, Atrium noise and people slamming the door to the stairway and yelling as they went down. There were prostitutes and strippers passing out business cards and DVD's! At 2:00 AM I called the front desk and asked if a security guard could come up and speak with the guests causing disturbance. No one ever came to our floor. The next morning I asked if we could change rooms and was told that no other rooms were available, however later in the day there were long lines of people checking in. My husband again asked if we could change rooms and was again told that there were no rooms available.
Our room was very hot and we had to lower the temperature to 65 degrees before feeling any relief. The room was not clean. The bedspread had greasy looking stains on it. There were urine stains around the base of the toilet when we arrived and it was never cleaned up. We saw a cockroach crawling on the wall. My husband knocked it down, stomping it on the linoleum. The cockroach was still on the floor after our room was "cleaned" the next day and when we checked out.
I have stayed in a number of Sheraton hotels and look forward to their soft plush mattresses and pillows. This hotel did not offer a plush mattress, instead it had a mattress cover that did not even stay on the bed! When we got into bed on the third night I noticed that a pillow case was dirty. It had sticky looking pink stuff--looked like dried up candy--on it.
The breakfast bar was extremely overpriced for what they offered--$15.00. Be sure to look over your bill before leaving. They added a $12.00 per day parking garage fee to our bill. The maximum garage fee was $7.00 a day and we paid that ourselves when we drove our car out of the garage each day. An additional night charge was included on the bill as well and charged to an American Express card belonging to someone else! I do not have an AE card.
Park your own car. We witnessed a parking attendant attempting to move a SUV. He damaged it, and another vehicle because of poor judgement when trying to pass a parked car.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Tennessee
Reviewed May 30, 2008

Well, I was there NCAA Tournament in late March 2008. We took our bags to are room but the room had siding and paint sitting on the floor. So we called the front desk and the came up and decided to move us to a renovated room. It was a whole lot nicer, it was noisy outside the room but inside it was quite. It was convient to the BJCC. I would call this a good choice.

• Liked — Convience to the BJCC and the downtown area.
  • Disliked — Liked just about everything.
  • Stayed March 2008