“Most Unorganized and Unprofessional Hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles

Sheraton Birmingham
Ranked #33 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Most Unorganized and Unprofessional Hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

I stay at business hotels all the time, as I travel for work and attend close to 20 conferences a year. This hotel was an absolute nightmare from the start. The valet/parking service is unorganized, and although I was the first car in the line, I still had to wait so long I ended up leaving the valet area to try and find street parking. Street parking required payments throughout the day, so I ended up returning and waiting it out for valet, where it took them exceptionally long to understand that I had two luggage deliveries, one for my room and one for the conference area. I am pregnant and my conference items were quite heavy, so I was happy to let them handle the delivery. Although there weren’t many people in the lobby, it took almost an hour to get someone to deliver my items to the conference (I waited in the lobby while the bellman manager ran around with a walkie talky but didn’t actually do anything). Finally a manger helped me after I started pushing my conference items by myself, and he offered to take everything for me. Finally, after getting into my room (they were supposed to deliver the luggage to my room during this time), I get a call from the front desk asking if I know where they put my luggage. They are asking ME where THEY put the luggage??? After many phone calls they finally found my luggage and brought it to my room. The food in the restaurant is terrible (although the waitstaff are excellent) and the salad I ordered had wilted cucumbers and avocados that shouldn’t have been on a salad. The vending machines on the 9th floor were all broken (all had change stuck in the change slot, however I didn’t realize this until after I put my dollar bill in). When I called to tell them the machine ate my dollar, they said I had to come to the lobby. By this time (again, pregnant and needing sprite), I was very sick, in my pjs, and had no intention of being in the lobby when I felt miserable. I asked if they could just credit my room the $1, which the woman on the phone became argumentative with me, because the front desk apparently doesn’t have phones so she’d have to walk over there and request them to credit my room for the $1. Lastly, anytime I’ve called down, they are very unprofessional, not putting me on hold but putting the phone down while I listen to all them yack away about “girl, you won’t believe what happened” and all the while I can listen to this.

In summery, this hotel is unorganized, apathetic, and unprofessional. I was going to have my son and husband join me for this trip but I am very glad I didn’t!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Hello lauren015,

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time out to write a detailed review of your experience during your stay with us. On behalf of the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel I would like to extend a sincere apology for all the inconveniences you experienced. This level of service is not acceptable and the appropriate department heads have been notified. This is not the type of service you should expect from the Sheraton brand. I would like to invite you back for an opportunity to regain your confidence in the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel.

Angelica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Palm Bay, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

We spent three nights in this hotel while in town for the Verizon IndyCar race. The hotel is very nice, well appointed, in a good location, well-equipped with an exercise facility, indoor pool, restaurants, etc.

Check-in was a breeze, and the staff was helpful. The room was clean and well-equipped.

We didn't like the parking. Self-parking is in a garage around the corner. Access is very tight when you're in a full sized pickup. Additionally, it's a long walk from a tower room to the garage.

We also have a problem with a hotel that charges $13.00 a day for parking, and $9.95 per day for internet access. Sorry, but there's no excuse for a daily internet charge.

We also had a problem with our coffee pot. The coffee packets were much too large, the wrong size for the coffee maker, resulting in a flood each time we tried to use it. I mentioned it to the maid, but perhaps we had a language issue, as nothing was done. It's a small thing, but annoying.

Beautiful hotel, but a few annoyances.

Room Tip: Tower rooms, higher floors are very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear JRS358,

Thanks for taking the time out to write a detailed review of your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that your overall stay was a nice one. I would like to extend an apology for the few annoyances you encountered during your stay. We hope we have the opportunity to make up for those incoveniences the next time you stay with us.

Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

I just want to say that the staff was very nice. Jocelyn and Britney were very pleasant to work with and they represented the Sheraton very professionally. I will most definitely recommend the Sheraton to friends and family. Also the rooms were a nice size and very comfortable. Its also family friendly. I have nothing negative to say about your company.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hi Hellen V,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this fantastic review. There is nothing we love to hear more than our guests loving their service and experience with us! Guest satisfaction is our number one goal and there is nothing better than achieving that! It is so wonderful to hear that Jocelyn and Britney was able to make your stay with us more enjoyable! Our staff truly cares for our guests and we love to see that shine through. Your kind words regarding the friendly service of our staff are greatly appreciated and we look forward to sharing them with our team. We are so happy to hear you will be back for another stay in the future!

Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

We stayed one evening at this Sheraton. The meal at the Westin next door (Todd English's PUB) was the highlight but the Sheraton had nice rooms and decent service. However, we stayed on a designated "Quiet Floor" and yet were shocked to hear screaming and talking in the hallways throughout the night. Multiple complaints without apparent reaction by the staff. This was unfortunate as it is disrupted what was otherwise a nice hotel. As others have commented about the parking, I will note that we parked directly in the ramp and paid event parking for the evening - $8.00. Hardly outrageous for downtown parking.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the blocked convention rooms to avoid inevitable late night noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank FrequentlyinItaly
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Hello FrequentlyinItaly,
Thank you for your feedback, we would like to invite you back to not only change your perceptions, but to assure that your stay with us is the best in Starwood. please feel free to reachout to me directly at angelica.thomas@starwoodhotels.com.

Sterling Heights, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

My company moved a meeting here from another location because we had a high headcount. This property is attached to the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex (BJCC). When I checked in, Juan Bass granted me an upgrade at no charge. I was particularly thrilled that he called my room after I arrived to let me know my meeting location (the BJCC is huge). The next morning, I had terrific service from Annie Jackson at BJCC and my meeting went flawlessly.

When I checked out, the no charge upgrade had been billed to my room, but Michael at the front desk fixed it right away.

My blow dryer didn't work but I simply reported it on checkout, since I can live without one and I didn't mind.

There's a coffee shop in the BJCC annex and the service there is great.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor. When you arrive, make a right turn past the hotel front entrance and look fo...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Hello professordoctormom,

Thank you for writing a review about your most recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that our staff was able to enhance your stay with their level of professionalism and quality customer service. I will pass your kind words on to them. We hope to see you again soon.

Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

I got this hotel for a steal by bidding on Priceline, but quickly figured out I didn't get the bargain I thought. Parking is in a deck around the corner only labeled "Hotel Parking" which also doubles as parking for the convention center. I entered the parking deck with my fingers crossed I understood the directions the valet guy gave me and I was at the correct place. I arrived in the afternoon just as a convention was letting out and it took me almost half an hour to get up to the 5th floor where hotel guests are supposed to park. The deck is designed with both entering and exiting traffic using the same pathways in some areas which was a nightmare. When I finally parked I took the elevator down to the 3rd floor for the skybridge and luckily saw that it services both the Sheraton and Westin hotels.

I checked in and paid the $12 for self-parking, which isn't horrible, I have certainly had to pay more for downtown hotels. Then I got to my room and had to pay the $10 for internet. It isn't unusably slow, but it is pretty slow. I wish in this day and age if a hotel is going to charge me $10 for internet it would at least be better than 1-2Mbps. Then I picked up the two boxes I had shipped to the hotel. I flew in for a conference my company is sponsoring and already had two bags with me and figured it would be easier to ship the rest of my conference supplies ahead of time. They charged $25 just for receiving my packages. I have done this in the past with other hotels and haven't been charged a dime.

I chose to go out to get dinner because I didn't want to give the hotel another dime after having just given them almost $50 allowing me to park, send some email, and give me two boxes. Therefore I cannot comment on the quality of the food or service.

The walls were paper thin and I could hear my neighbor's conversations like they were in the same room. I almost wanted to knock on the door and say hello because I felt like I knew them after a while.

The bed was comfortable and thankfully my neighbors quieted down about the time I went to bed. The furnishings were nice and the room was well decorated. The TV was pretty small, I think only 32", although at least the channels were in HD. Barely any counter space in the bathroom, and the shower was pretty weak.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hello Lee668,
Thank you for your feedback, we would like to invite you back to not only change your perceptions, but to assure that your stay with us is the best in Starwood,please feel free to reachout to me directly at angelica.thomas@starwoodhotels.com. I look forward to connecting with you.

Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

This was an accidental stay - we broke down on I65 south of Birmingham and found the Sheraton to wait it out for two nights while our car was repaired. We had our dog with us. The experience with Sheraton was way above my expectations. I admit it - I'm a hotel snob. I usually stay in boutique hotels. Previously, I would have never booked a big chain hotel like this unless it was my only choice. The Sheraton Birmingham has made me think twice about that. From the moment I booked the reservation with the call center (I was very frazzled), to check-in (still frazzled), to extending the stay an additional night (frustrated) to check out - I experienced the friendliest, most competent, above-and-beyond service imaginable. The Guest Services staff, Registration, Concierge, Bell staff, valet, restaurant, room service - all of them, incredibly welcoming (especially to my senior citizen dog), warm, and the epitome of customer service. Wonderful bed - mattress, pillows and bedding was super luxurious. Very clean, modern room décor. Comfortable desk chair along with a big desk, new flat-screen TV(big, great HD), comfy easy chair with reading lamp, and a little dining room table and two dining chairs. Super big room, lots of natural light from the floor-to-ceiling windows. Nice toiletries. In-room internet is $9.95/day but you can use the new computers in the business center for free. Business center is well-equipped (with large monitors and a free printer) off of the lobby. Room service was very good. They have several healthy choices; I had the egg whites and spinach omelet and it was huge, came hot and was delicious. Casey's Sports Bar food was okay but great service. They have a good local beer on tap. Be aware - takeout orders from Casey's include a 10% service charge. A budget-friendly option to the high-priced snacks in the gift shop is the vending machine in the laundry room (right next to the gift shop) with sixty-five cent bags of chips, etc. Guests who reserved Club Floor rooms have access to the Club Sheraton on the 17th floor - very deluxe and tasty hors d'oeuvres served from 5:30 - 8:00 (I made dinner out of it) and a deluxe continental breakfast in the morning (fresh fruit salad, real oatmeal and toppings, breakfast sandwiches, yogurt, waffles, cereal, breads). There is also a very good restaurant next door at the Westin - Todd English's P.U.B. Sheraton, thank you so much for helping me feel so comfortable and welcome in a stressful time.

Green Features: They have a recycling bin in the room. I am glad they are making a solid effort to practice environmental awareness.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Maggers
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Hello Maggers,

Thank you for such a kind and detailed review of your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you weren't here under better circumstances but I am very pleased to hear that our staff was very accomodating and made you feel right at home. I hope we have the opportunity to see you again.