“Great property and a pleasant stay”

Sheraton Birmingham
Ranked #33 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 6, 2014

My company moved a meeting here from another location because we had a high headcount. This property is attached to the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex (BJCC). When I checked in, Juan Bass granted me an upgrade at no charge. I was particularly thrilled that he called my room after I arrived to let me know my meeting location (the BJCC is huge). The next morning, I had terrific service from Annie Jackson at BJCC and my meeting went flawlessly.

When I checked out, the no charge upgrade had been billed to my room, but Michael at the front desk fixed it right away.

My blow dryer didn't work but I simply reported it on checkout, since I can live without one and I didn't mind.

There's a coffee shop in the BJCC annex and the service there is great.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor. When you arrive, make a right turn past the hotel front entrance and look fo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Hello professordoctormom,

Thank you for writing a review about your most recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that our staff was able to enhance your stay with their level of professionalism and quality customer service. I will pass your kind words on to them. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

I got this hotel for a steal by bidding on Priceline, but quickly figured out I didn't get the bargain I thought. Parking is in a deck around the corner only labeled "Hotel Parking" which also doubles as parking for the convention center. I entered the parking deck with my fingers crossed I understood the directions the valet guy gave me and I was at the correct place. I arrived in the afternoon just as a convention was letting out and it took me almost half an hour to get up to the 5th floor where hotel guests are supposed to park. The deck is designed with both entering and exiting traffic using the same pathways in some areas which was a nightmare. When I finally parked I took the elevator down to the 3rd floor for the skybridge and luckily saw that it services both the Sheraton and Westin hotels.

I checked in and paid the $12 for self-parking, which isn't horrible, I have certainly had to pay more for downtown hotels. Then I got to my room and had to pay the $10 for internet. It isn't unusably slow, but it is pretty slow. I wish in this day and age if a hotel is going to charge me $10 for internet it would at least be better than 1-2Mbps. Then I picked up the two boxes I had shipped to the hotel. I flew in for a conference my company is sponsoring and already had two bags with me and figured it would be easier to ship the rest of my conference supplies ahead of time. They charged $25 just for receiving my packages. I have done this in the past with other hotels and haven't been charged a dime.

I chose to go out to get dinner because I didn't want to give the hotel another dime after having just given them almost $50 allowing me to park, send some email, and give me two boxes. Therefore I cannot comment on the quality of the food or service.

The walls were paper thin and I could hear my neighbor's conversations like they were in the same room. I almost wanted to knock on the door and say hello because I felt like I knew them after a while.

The bed was comfortable and thankfully my neighbors quieted down about the time I went to bed. The furnishings were nice and the room was well decorated. The TV was pretty small, I think only 32", although at least the channels were in HD. Barely any counter space in the bathroom, and the shower was pretty weak.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Hello Lee668,
Thank you for your feedback, we would like to invite you back to not only change your perceptions, but to assure that your stay with us is the best in Starwood,please feel free to reachout to me directly at angelica.thomas@starwoodhotels.com. I look forward to connecting with you.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

This was an accidental stay - we broke down on I65 south of Birmingham and found the Sheraton to wait it out for two nights while our car was repaired. We had our dog with us. The experience with Sheraton was way above my expectations. I admit it - I'm a hotel snob. I usually stay in boutique hotels. Previously, I would have never booked a big chain hotel like this unless it was my only choice. The Sheraton Birmingham has made me think twice about that. From the moment I booked the reservation with the call center (I was very frazzled), to check-in (still frazzled), to extending the stay an additional night (frustrated) to check out - I experienced the friendliest, most competent, above-and-beyond service imaginable. The Guest Services staff, Registration, Concierge, Bell staff, valet, restaurant, room service - all of them, incredibly welcoming (especially to my senior citizen dog), warm, and the epitome of customer service. Wonderful bed - mattress, pillows and bedding was super luxurious. Very clean, modern room décor. Comfortable desk chair along with a big desk, new flat-screen TV(big, great HD), comfy easy chair with reading lamp, and a little dining room table and two dining chairs. Super big room, lots of natural light from the floor-to-ceiling windows. Nice toiletries. In-room internet is $9.95/day but you can use the new computers in the business center for free. Business center is well-equipped (with large monitors and a free printer) off of the lobby. Room service was very good. They have several healthy choices; I had the egg whites and spinach omelet and it was huge, came hot and was delicious. Casey's Sports Bar food was okay but great service. They have a good local beer on tap. Be aware - takeout orders from Casey's include a 10% service charge. A budget-friendly option to the high-priced snacks in the gift shop is the vending machine in the laundry room (right next to the gift shop) with sixty-five cent bags of chips, etc. Guests who reserved Club Floor rooms have access to the Club Sheraton on the 17th floor - very deluxe and tasty hors d'oeuvres served from 5:30 - 8:00 (I made dinner out of it) and a deluxe continental breakfast in the morning (fresh fruit salad, real oatmeal and toppings, breakfast sandwiches, yogurt, waffles, cereal, breads). There is also a very good restaurant next door at the Westin - Todd English's P.U.B. Sheraton, thank you so much for helping me feel so comfortable and welcome in a stressful time.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Maggers
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Hello Maggers,

Thank you for such a kind and detailed review of your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you weren't here under better circumstances but I am very pleased to hear that our staff was very accomodating and made you feel right at home. I hope we have the opportunity to see you again.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

As an airline pilot I get to experience restaurant service in many different hotels all over the United States, Canada, and Mexico. I want to identify a lady who is a waitress at the Atrium Cafe of the Sheraton Hotel of Burmingham, AL. Her name is Carolyn. Her customer service is among the best I've experienced. Thank you, Carolyn, for your attention to customer satisfaction.

Room Tip: Ask for a floor that is specifically designated as the "quiet floor."
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Greg_Findlay
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear Greg_Findlay,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this fantastic review. There is nothing we love to hear more than our guests loving their service and experience with us! Guest satisfaction is our number one goal and there is nothing better than achieving that! It is so wonderful to hear that Carolyn was able to make your stay with us more enjoyable! Our staff truly cares for our guests and we love to see that shine through. Your kind words regarding the friendly service of our staff are greatly appreciated and we look forward to sharing them with our team. We are so happy to hear you will be back for another stay in the future!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

The location, food, and rooms were excellent. The staff was wonderful; however, the customer service provided by LaKisha M. at the front desk during check out was exceptional. The level of knowledge and patience Lakisha M. displayed when resolving my biling issues was impressive. She was solution driven and refused to allow me to leave the hotel with my situation unresolved. I truly appreciated her concern, care, and the tenacity she displayed when addressing my concerns.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this property for a 3 day conference. This property is huge and is connected to the convention center (Tip: be sure to find out what is going on at the convention center during your stay here. Some of the events are no charge so you can check them out if you have any free time).

The guest rooms are spacious and clean, the bathrooms are on the small side but adequate. I got the feeling that this was an older property, but the rooms have been kept up well. Their brochure indicates they have a whirlpool, but it was tiled over and no longer existed. The gym area is 24 hrs and good enough.

Couple of pluses about this property: free bottled water in your room daily, free usage of the computers in the business center, and the beds are amazingly comfortable. I traveled with a group of six colleagues and we all raved about how good we slept. The property is about 10 minutes drive from the airport and they have a free shuttle (which I did not take). The property is about a 30 minute walk to the Civil Rights Museum which is a must see. Overall good stay.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank bjfraz

Thank you for the great review. I'm really happy to hear you had a great stay with us. I agree with you and your colleagues, our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed are extremely comfortable…it's one of the best things about our guest rooms.I really appreciate the business and your positive feedback. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Excellent location for BJCC events. Concierge level was nice and lounge area was accomadating. Fitness facility is far from rooms. It is a very busy hotel with lots of conference space. Excellent place for the fast paced but if you like slow and quiet this is not the place for you. I will definitely stay here again if I'm back in the area.

• Stayed: March 2014
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear Beth P,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our location convenient. It is great to hear that you would definitely stay here again and we look forward to the opportunity to have you as our guest again soon.