“Beautiful hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Elm Grove, Wisconsin
“Beautiful hotel”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I stayed here for one night, booked and paid for by Southwest when a flight delay meant I would not be able to get home.

Check in was quick and courteous. My room was in the Atrium section, on the 10th floor. I had a beautiful view of downtown. The room was tastefully decorated, very spacious and the bedding was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was clean and modern. I called the front desk a couple of times with questions and both times I was greeted by name, and my questions were answered politely. I can't comment on the value for money as I didn't pay, but the amenities and service were excellent for my stay.

As other reviewers have mentioned, you can hear noise from the Atrium cafe or bar, not sure where it came from really, but it did not prevent me from falling asleep. Could be an issue for light sleepers.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank momof4Wi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Wexford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Simply not up to normal Sheraton standards. Room was ok (I believe I was in an SPG Preferred room), everything else was miserable. For example: noise from atrium permeates everywhere, slow service, 30 minute wait for cab, bad water pressure, little hot water, toilet paper not refilled, shampoo different colors from day to day? It was odd how bad this was. The only positive was the friendly service. I'll stay somewhere else on my next visit to Birmingham.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Rebbones
New Jersey
Reviewed February 21, 2014

2 of us traveled to Birmingham for the marathon and suffered 3 horrible nights of sleep due to the noise in the hotel, horrible heating/cooling and minimal hot water in the shower.

We spent our first night in a room in the atrium and I could not even sleep with the noise from downstairs. We could hear every fork hitting the plate, laughter and chatter coming up from the lobby. Our room was adjoining with another guest who had a young child that was up screaming and crying at 5am - sounded like the kid was in my room. The shower was COLD, barely any water pressure so we asked for a change of room. They gave us a very hard time about changing a room saying that we paid extra for a room with a balcony (we didn't and we didn't even have a balcony). They also claimed we paid extra for a handicapped room (we didn't and we have no need for this room type).

After moving to another room which was smaller and still experienced the same water pressure and lack of heat. The heating/cooling system was horrible. would blow freezing cold air on 68 and heat on 69 I was up several times each night trying to adjust.

The pool was very nice looking but FREEZING. Couldn't even get in past my calves, even children were jumping in and right out again. Just way too cold to even enjoy. We also definitely could have used a hot tub for after race - especially since the water temp in the shower was so cold.

Disappointing for a Sheraton - really expected more. When you pay for Sheraton you expect a good night sleep and excellent service. We were very disappointed.

Room Tip: Stay away from the atrium - TOO LOUD. Be prepared for a longer walk for tower rooms.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank lilemoevie
Pace, Florida, United States
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Before I even checked in there were billing issues and my credit card was charged 3 times for a single night stay. After dealing with the accounting department and getting a fix for that issue. I arrived for the stay. Paid 160.00+ with no free WiFi and parking 8.00 a day in a parking desk about 1/2 mile away. WIFI was 9.95 for 24 hours for a slow connection. (Should have tethered off my smartphone). There was a COMIC CON convention in town and the noise from the courtyard was heard for most of the evening and part of the night. The rooms are arranged in a balcony setting overlooking a grand courtyard. This was my first and last trip to Birmingham AL. I chose this hotel for distance to race start/finish. Also, if you are host hotel for a marathon, at least offer the runners late checkout options. Many will pay an extra amount for a hot shower before driving long distances or flying back home. Since I was by myself, I had plenty of room and the mattresses/linen were OK and no cleanliness issues. I will not be going back to this hotel since many other options exist

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Roger T
Reviewed February 16, 2014

To start off we needed a hotel because some off our family members were running in the Mercedes marathon and it was only a block away from the start line. That was the only good thing about the hotel. For one it is WAY over priced, and for the price they don't offer breakfast and you have to pay for parking, which was 8$ for parking over night. Then when we got to the room (it was a double, four of us were staying). The room was TINY we had to squeeze to get anywhere in the room. Then that night no one got any sleep because the mattresses were AWFUL, they felt about 15 years old, at least. The sheets were not soft they were crunchy you could hear every move anyone made that night. And because the mattresses were awful my brother (the one running the marathon) got hardly any sleep before his race. The hotel charged us about $160 for one night, which was expensive for our budget anyways. But for that much money it didn't have a microwave or a refrigerator in the room. It was also a very long walk to carry your baggage, or even just walk, from your room to the parking deck. Needless to say we will NEVER be staying in this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Conway, Arkansas, United States
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Sheraton Birmingham would be a smart choice for lodging when you are staying in the Birmingham area. The hotel is located in an ideal spot in Birmingham's downtown area, making many of Birmingham's attractions only a few minutes away. The area in which the hotel is located comes off as being a safe area, at least by Birmingham standards. The restaurant has great breakfasts. They can be a little bit pricey but it is worth it. The rooms are nice and the beds are comfy, my only complaint towards the rooms is that the bathrooms are a little too small. The atrium is cool and makes for a nice view, especially if you are on one of the top floors. The Sheraton Birmingham is apparently the largest hotel in the state of Alabama, so that makes for a more interesting place to stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

This was my second visit to this hotel.

Some quick notes: Its centrally located downtown. The hotel itself is huge. Also, the mattresses are a bit on the firmer side.

I would of given a 3 star average hotel rating, but due to the issues we had during our most recent stay I believe it earned a 2 star rating.

1. When we walked into our hotel room, the bed looked very lumpy. It didn't exactly look appealing.

2. Once I turned on the lights, I noticed a big yellow stain on the ceiling above the bed. This stain was about 4 to 5 feet long.

3. I asked the women at the front desk about getting a taxi. She assured me that the taxi would arrive in 5 to 20 minutes. 40 minutes later we still were still waiting for a taxi. Long story short, we never got a taxi and we were late for our dinner reservations. I understand that it's not solely the hotels responsibility for the taxi problem, but they should take some of the responsibility by offering to call me a cab that never came. My boyfriend expressed this to the staff and they gave us tickets for a free breakfast buffet at the Atrium Cafe. I appreciated the gesture.

4. Unfortunately the Atrium Cafe breakfast buffet was pretty bad. I can't complain because it was free. But if you were a paying customer, and paid $24 for the breakfast buffet, I'm pretty sure you would be disappointed. The sausage was hard, the eggs looked powdered, and my coffee was burnt. The hash-browns looked like someone sprayed cheese whiz in the middle of it. But, the French toast was pretty good. Also, the servers were very nice as other people have stated past reviews.

This hotel is rated as a 4 star hotel. The star rating is supposed to indicate a level of luxury that is lacking at this hotel. I will not be returning to the Sheraton.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple