“Check your debit card!!!”

Sheraton Birmingham
Ranked #31 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seminary, Mississippi
“Check your debit card!!!”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed at the hotel with a friend to attend a concert. Nice stay or so I thought at the time. When we checked out we paid our account,she paid her part with cash and I paid with debit card. When I check my debit account the next day, they had charged me twice for the room. So I called sheraton Birmingham to fix error. They informed me I could get my money back in 3-5 business days. I feel like if they are going to charge you twice you should be able to get YOUR money back. Little quicker!!!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Dbullock1
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Dbullock1,

I am very sorry you had the experience you did and assure you I have spoken with the necessary department heads to ensure that a situation like this does not occur again. We strive to provide the best customer service experience possible, and although we may have missed the mark this time we hope you will give us an opportunity to show you the experience we are capable of providing our guests.

Warmest Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Montgomery, Alabama
Reviewed October 26, 2013

The Club Lounge had wonderful, fast and great service!!!! The nice kind host Mrs. Carolyn was very helpful and was able to answer any questions that I had!!! I was in town for the Magic City Classic Weekend!! This was a great choice to join the club lounge on the 17th Floor! The Club Lounge was clean, bright and the food was 5 star tasting!!! I will be back next year !!!

Thanks,
Classic ASU Student!!
Rock-on!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank willie4413
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear willie4413,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with us. Guest satisfaction is our number one goal and there is nothing better than achieving that! Your kind words regarding the friendly service of our staff are greatly appreciated. We were so proud to acknowledge Carolyn for her excellent service. We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit!
Gonzales, United States
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We arrived at this hotel to attend a Women's Travel show at the Convention Center next door. We were expecting a package that we needed for the show. The front desk was not able to find the package even though we had verification that it had been received by the hotel. We were very frustrated by this and determined to find it. We were assisted in our hunt by Thomas Tolliver. He was relentless in his search and even hosted us for dinner and drinks while he searched for our package. Thomas was successful after a 7 hour hunt and it is hard to admit, but had my office marked it properly it would not have been such a challenge. My thanks to Thomas and all the others at the Sheraton for all their hard work and help in locating this package. The hotel experience was a great one that I will not forget. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Great service, hospitality and great customer service.

Room Tip: I am a light sleeper. If you are, ask to be placed away from the interstate.
1 Thank Sharon S
Dear Sharon S,

It sounds like you had such a memorable stay with us. Your kind words regarding the friendly service of our staff are greatly appreciated and we look forward to sharing them with our team, especially Tom!

We hope to see you soon!

Warm Regards
Brentwood, TN
Reviewed October 14, 2013

First, all of the staff were great. Very friendly and efficient check in and check out. Could not have been nicer. The attendant in the club lounge made me feel at home. Sheraton should be proud of these folks. Second, the hotel is pretty tired and it looks like they are going through a renovation like most Sheratons these days. Best I can tell the room was redone maybe 5 or more years ago and it shows its age. Just worn out and a bit tattered. Third, the hotel itself is one of those big atrium types that is past its prime. The workout room - while renovated - was too stuffy and unfair conditioned to get a fierce work out in. My recommendation is that you stay and the very new Westin right next door. The rates are comparable, the rooms are a bit smaller but certainly ok, and nothing beats new.

2 Thank Eurorunner
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Eurorunner,

Thank you for the great feedback. There is nothing we love to hear more than our guests loving their experience with us, and we are a bit disappointed that your stay seemed tolerable. Yet, we are happy our staff met all your needs during your stay and made you feel at home! We hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Hello...my name is Cynthia Nixon..i was in town visiting some relatives and had to make a last minute reservation...check in was a speedy process and I was elated at how friendly everybody was..after settling into my room and making a few phone calls I decided to explore the hotel not knowing it was also connected to a convention center..as I was crossing the street to the convention center I kind of got lost..i ran into an employee whose name is Anisha (hope i spelled it correctly)..she was coming out of a side door and asked could she help..i explained what I was doing and with a smile she asked if I would like a tour...i didn't want to hold her up from doing her job so I told her I would try again later..she explained that she had just clocked out for her lunch break and it would be just fine.. Before I knew it we were on our way..there was the arena,concert hall,exhibition halls,the piazza and she even took the time to show me the new uptown..it was alot for only thirty minutes..she showed me great dose of southern hospitality and I am grateful..please send her my best wishes and let her know I appreciated her taking time out of her day to keep me entertained..i will definitely be back..Cynthia Nixon

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank atrysum
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Ms Carolyn was very helpful for my three kids and I as we walked in 5 minutes past 8 pm from a 6 hour drive. The food was partially put away but Ms Carolyn gladly offered to put food back out and went downstairs for more fruit.As a gold for life member and platinum for many years, situations like this are the reason I remain a spg member.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Greg W
Dear Greg W,

Thank you for your loyalty to the Starwood Preferred Guest Program and for writing a review about your stay. The popularity of our frequent traveler program was demonstrated during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels.

Thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I stayed here for a conference and after reading the reviews was very nervous. I stayed in the Atrium building and it was fine. I heard other rooms were older. The gym was well outfitted but crowded. I was disappointed the pool was not open.

When I made the reservation I was given a club level room and quoted a room rate. The hotel sent the reservation confirmation to my email--it indicted a club level room and did not say anything about other charges. When I checked out I saw on the first receipt I was given that I was charged a higher rate for the room AND there was a separate surcharge for the club level. I didn’t have access to that email and the receptionist was not budging at first. And then she said, "Well, did you use the club lounge." Sure but what does that have to do with you adding it to my bill when an additional charge was not my reservation and the reservation clearly states Club Level and does not have any wording on it saying there would be an additional charge. I told her what the rate was supposed to be from memory. Kind of surprised they didn't have this in their own data!???? She went in the back to talk to a manager and the charges were adjusted. In the meantime my husband found the reservation confirmation and it was still lower. I just decided to forget it.

I would stay here again for a conference but I would bring my reservation and evidence of the quoted rate with me. For the rate they tried to charge me I would have stayed at the Westin—for sure.

Hotel transportation to and from the airport was reliable. It did seem like most hotels provide this though.

I did have conversations with two exceptional employees. A nice doorman who worried about me running on my own after giving me directions and a handyman who walked me to wear the gym was located in an adjoining tower.

Excellent location if you are at a conference using the Convention Hall otherwise on the edge of downtown with few restaurants.

Green Features: You have to indicate before 2 AM if you don't want them to clean your room to get the enviro credit ($5 off each night you stay if they don't clean your room that day).
1 Thank ColoradoLiketoTravel
Dear ColoradoLiketoTravel,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and we are deeply sorry for the lack-luster service you received with the billing process; please understand that this is never our intention.

Your comments will be communicated to the Front Office management team. During the check-in process, every guest should be informed of all charges and fees associated with their stay. We clearly missed the mark on this and we are very sorry about any inconveniences this may have caused.

The time spent writing your review is appreciated and we hope to welcome you back for another opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel.

Warm Regards