“good hotel for BJCC”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Montgomery, Alabama
“good hotel for BJCC”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

this hotel is an ideal location for the BJCC, walking distance. i would use the public parking which is well lit, had a security guard present, and a very close walk to the hotel. I stayed on a tuesday so the hotel bar was closed, and the westin, had a very close and nice bar, but closed early, on weekends I could see it more happening. slept well here and the service was excellent

Room Tip: save money and self park in parking structuture
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The Valet service is recommended as a friend from Birmingham said it is not in the greatest of areas but it is mainly a conference center. There are shuttles to different local restaurants but the hotel has everything you need. It has an enclosed walkway to the convention center. The valet was excellent and only $20. The concierge and guest services were happy to help and very friendly. My room was nice with two comfortable full size beds, nice linens and pillows, Leather desk chair and a suede sitting chair. The bathroom had granite counter tops and was very clean. I had to really look for a fault and the only one I found was the tiolet paper holder was loose and would launch the roll on the floor with the gentlist tug. I thought it was funny and just set it on the counter. I called guest services and asked them to log it. Check-in and check out, even during a major convention was a breeze. I was very impressed and wouldn't mind staying there again.

Room Tip: The pool and Spa were under construction during my stay
Green Features: The rooms take a minute to cool off but the recognize when you leave and come back and turn themselves off.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Kirk G
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This hotel delivers on its promises to provide a great stay for a large group! The staff is friendly and helpful. We encountered a few difficulties at check-in, and the hotel staff (particularly Mary McAdams -- Front Office Supervisor, and Freddy Rivas -- Front Office Manager) worked to ensure we had a convenient and comfortable stay. I'll book my group here again next time our event is in town!

Room Tip: You can rent a refrigerator for $25... wish it was included.
Green Features: They have a special green housekeeping program, which they promote.
1 Thank Kristen P
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 18, 2013

hotel rooms that were promised and reserved did not get.. which at check out found out they charged us for 2 rooms instead of one.. AC did not work properly, had to fix the toilet our selves 2 xs , 3rd time not able to, neither of the phones in the room worked, had to travel down to main lobby each time to get assistance such as asking for an extra roll out bed, then had to travel again to get blankets and pillows that were promised. bathroom and shower had mold on floor, only one key for the room worked, and the pool was closed .. we are in june so pool would be great to use... was told that the Westin could help accommodate for the pool.. not true.. Food was fine but the service at the Sheraton over all would have been better at a Holiday Inn... I had explained everything that had happened and all we got was sorry for your inconvenience "Have a nice day"... WOW!!!! Extremely disappointed with the Sheraton!!! I would have expected this at other hotels but not Sheraton..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear lovingfamily4,

I am so disappointed to hear about the issues you experienced during your stay. I can assure you this is not typcial for our hotel, and we do not find it acceptable. I am also sorry to hear that we were not able to exceed your expectations during your visit. We always want our guests to feel at home, and I do apologize if our associates did not provide you with that. Please know that your comments will help us with improving our services for future guest experiences.
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Great Staff, hotel was great, especially the morning breakfast. They also are pet friendly. Birmingham is a great town. The parking garage was secure. This was very important to us since our luggage was stolen the previous night in Dallas, TX at a La Quinta Inn (Walnut Hill Lane & I35). Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: sign up for the breakfast.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is not your average hotel. It is a "convention hotel". Which means they cater to large groups. If you are a one night stay person...look elsewhere. Very expensive food and services. $17 for breakfast...and that was buffet style. No fridge or mircowaves in rooms. Police patrol area but still witnessed a purse snatching on a Sunday morning. Hotel will not confirm this, but it was the buzz around the side of the building! (Police substation built in same building!!!) I still had a comfortable stay. Rooms are cozy and beds very soft. Starbucks coffee in room!! Elevators very fast!! Staff very very helpful. This hotel is a great place to stay if you have large group. I just wish this Sheraton was like the Sheraton in St.Louis. (must use your room key to activate elevator)

Dear Greydog98,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and share your feedback. We are pleased to be able to offer our guests the best location in the Magic City but are disappointed about your less than stellar experience regarding a robbery. I'm not aware of any situation happening at or near the property, but your comments will definitely be investigated and shared to the appropriate individuals. Thank you again and we hope that you would consider us again.
Missoula, MT
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We were told the Sheraton, Westin and neighboring convention center were all managed together. Our group needed a large convention space w/lodging and the management put together a very reasonable lodging and convention package. The hotel isn't terrible but it needs a little TLC here and there. (The Westin is right next door, is newer and seems in better condition.) If it was a Holiday Inn I'd probably rate it a 4 but as a Sheraton I expect better. My biggest issue is with the inconsistency of the staff. Numerous times someone in our group would ask for something for our meeting rooms (extra key) or personal room (more coffee) and they'd tell us they'd get it right to us but would never deliver. I had wait to check in because there was no one at any of the 4 places for checking in. When I went to ask the concierge a question there was nobody at the desk. We had slow service in Casey's restaurant because the staff was either: a) standing around talking to each other or b) watching the TV. The staff is pleasant enough but they need some service training. I will say that when we needed to run to a store the shuttle driver took us right up there so we could get a few groceries. Which brings us to the rooms - no refrigerator (they'll bring one to your room but it'll be $25 for the week), and no microwave. Our bed was comfortable, our bathroom was acceptable and our room was quiet. We got complimentary internet with our group but I believe it is usually $10 a day. Basically, there are 4 places to eat within a 5 block radius: Subway, two restaurants in the Sheraton and one in the Westin. We ate several times at Casey's restaurant and the food was okay but expensive. We didn't eat the breakfast buffet but I think it was $12 per person. (Note: you can opt to not have housekeeping come to your room and get a $5 off coupon in the restaurants.) Food in the Pub at the Westin was a little better and a little more expensive. Looks like some locals hang out there and they have an awesome beer selection. There is very little in terms of entertainment right around the hotel but there is an inexpensive bus (the DART) that is $.25 or free, depending on the night, that will take around town. We took the bus to eat at Taziki's and Jim N' Nick's BBQ and thought both were decent. Consistency of the DART bus's schedule leaves a little to be desired. I don't get why "high end" hotels charge for everything when I can stay at a Homewood in a bigger room that has a kitchenette and get free breakfast, dinner, internet and parking. So the Sheraton is an okay place to stay if you have to be there. The Westin might be a little classier. Be prepared for, typically, slow service, to pay for every amenity and to pay more for the food than it is worth.

Room Tip: Our room faced into the center of the hotel atrium and was quiet.
Green Features: They have a recycling bin in the room. Can opt out of housekeeping.
Dear picgla,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your time in Birmingham. I am sorry to hear about the issues you encountered during your visit. I am glad that The Westin Birmingham was able to make your stay more enjoyable with the amenities and service offered. We apologize for the disappointing customer service you encountered during your stay with us at one of our restaurants. Yet, we thank you for letting us know about your experience. Feedback like this will only help us to improve.