“Great Stay Just One Snag . . .” 4 of 5 bubbles

Sheraton Birmingham
Ranked #33 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Memphis
“Great Stay Just One Snag . . .”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Our stay was pleasant and staff was very accommodating and friendly. Did not have the fastest check-in or valet but everyone was friendly so I did not mind. Room service, although outrageously expensive, was good and staff called daily to check and see if everything was okay with the room service as well as other services. I don't know if this was standard or because I used in room dining. The hotel had several restaurants, two bars, gift shop, and a coffee shop. The food in the restaurants was good but the coffee shop sometimes closed early or ran out of ingredients for chai lattes or other coffee drinks. Some historic things are within walking distance(Civil Rights Museum) but there is a trolley that will drop off guests at local shopping and restaurant areas near UAB. The one drawback is that there is no in room wi-fi free or otherwise. The ethernet access is around $9. Wi Fi is available in the common areas near the business center but I found it slow. Guests can gain internet access using the business center computers but there is a wait duirng peak times. When there is an event in the lobby, can get a bit noisy as some rooms overlook the lobby. I would stay again.

Room Tip: If concerned about noise, ask for rooms that do not overlook lobby.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

As we all say, first impressions are everything! Our first impression was with valet as they highly encouraged us to use their service. When my husband asked about alternate parking possibilities, she acted as if there weren't other good options. It turns out that there was an attached parking garage for visitors for only $8 rather than $20 for valet. We then went to our room, which had a dirty wash rag left in bathroom as well as someone's dinner left in the ice bucket! BUT the customer service was amazing in rectifying the errors. They were apologetic and very kind and issued us 3 passes for breakfast the next morning. Although I believe they probably need to. "Clean house" and get rid of employees who do less quality work, they also have dedicated employees who do excellent work. I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Deborah K
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Deborah K,

Thank you for reviewing the hotel. I am sorry to hear about your check-in experience. This is great information to assist us in ensuring that a situation like yours does not occur again. I am happy that our friendly staff was able to turn your situation around. Moreover, we welcome having you again at the hotel in the near future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

The Kappa Alpha Psi's Southern Province Meeting was held here in April. Many of the men were accompanied by their spouse (Silhouettes). An early morning Silhouette business meeting was held at the Sheraton. Carolyn who works in the lobby area's food shop provided service well beyond expectation. Not only did she locate items for the Silhouettes, she did so with a beautiful smile and a caring tone in her voice. Thanks Carolyn for your help during our grand occasion, you made it even more memorable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Deborah G,

Thank you so much for taking time to recognize Carolyn! We appreciate the comments you've provided about Carolyn and your experience at the hotel.

Warm Regards
birmingham al
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed here on business . This hotel has a contract with my employer. As for as ease of location , it could not be better. It is situated right next to the interstate and connected to the Convention Complex. The sleeping room it self was clean and comfortable but the bathroom is the smallest I ever saw in any hotel -PERIOD!! It was like a half bath with a tub. The sink had a small shelf above it in lieu of a vanity but I did not feel safe in using it in fear of dropping something down the drain. I did not dress in the bathroom in fear of dropping an article or my jewelry in the toliet. I know the history of this hotel and this room was in the original building built in the early 70's. A fellow employee pointed out the hallway carpet was dingy dirty and should be replaced. A a big No-No - no WiFi.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer building.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear oldschoolgirl,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. You are correct in your perception; the bathrooms in the Tower section were built in the early 70s, so they are smaller in comparison to hotel bathrooms built in later years. However, they are definitely not the smallest bathrooms in the world. For example, many European hotel bathrooms are much smaller than the standard American size (incredibly smaller than the ones at our hotel).

Please note that we’ve completed some carpet replacement late last year; and the current plan is to continue with this renovation in 2013.

I am elated to state that the Wi-Fi installation is almost complete! We anticipate having this service available in the upcoming days. This is exciting news for our associates and guests.

I know your experience did not live up to your expectations; however, I hope the recent improvements are enough to have you visit us again.
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I enjoyed my stay February 26-27. I agree about the lack of WiFi in the rooms in previous reviews...frustrating. I did speak to someone in management and they are in process to have it installed... However, I would like to recognize one employee I encountered on two occasions. Linda Bailey was a server in the Atrium Cafe on the first night of my stay. She was professional and pleasant. I encountered her the next day at the Sports Bar. Her warm and friendly attitude made such a difference. I travel so much and it was refreshing to cross paths with such an exceptional employee.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear AtlantaFlygirl,

Thank You for taking time to provide us with a wonderful rating - we truly appreciate it! Yes, we are very excited about the installation of Wi-Fi in the guestrooms. Moreover, thank you for taking time to recognize one of our associates. It's such a rewarding feeling hearing about your positive experience with Linda.

I look forward to seeing you soon!
Gronlid
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Our room was nice, but very loud as it overlooked the interstate, which has big trucks roaring by all night. The staff was all very nice and helpful so that was a plus.
We are going to the Maroon 5 concert, so I chose the Sheraton because it is close to venue.
The bad is that it is far from everything, The had no WIFI, not even sure how that happens these days when a person is spening $140/night. If you wanted to be on the internet you have to sit in the lobby, or use the computers provided, either way there was a time limit on usage. I would not stay here again, I expected more for the price we paid.
Also, for a place this size there is one place to eat breakfast and the buffet is $16/person. I think you could find a much better place and get more for you money elsewhere.
Glad to check out tomorrow and move on!!

Room Tip: Do not book at this hotel, look elsewhere
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Wambus,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable. Allow me to address your concern about the Wi-Fi. Because we received numerous concerns about the Wi-Fi services being limited to the Link@Sheraton, we have used this information made needed improvements. As a result, we are in the process of installing Wi-Fi in the guestrooms so you can stay connected with work or your loved ones.

Thank you again for your comments and the information you’ve provided us. We will definitely use your comments for future use.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

This hotel gets 5 stars for customer service, but I have to give it a 4 overall because the rooms need a bit of an update - starting to show their age. When it comes to customer service specifically there were three people: Atrium Restaurant: Linda B and Dannete H - amazing!!! 17th floor lounge: Stephanie - amazing!!!! All valet staff also rocked!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear pkern1512,

Thank you for providing us with delightful comments about staff! I am so happy to hear about your wonderful experience at the hotel! Thank you again and we cannot wait to have you with us again.