“Customer service was horrible”

Sheraton Birmingham
Ranked #33 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Meridian, Mississippi, United States
“Customer service was horrible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

First of all, I made reservations 2 months ago and noted their would be multiple people in this room. 2 weeks ago I called and changed the reservations and added an extra night. I called the morning of check in to clarify that someone else would check in first. The name on the reservation didnt match mine. Finally after confusion we got it so the other person could check in. The night before check out we went to the front desk to pay our tab. The wrong person that was on the reservation a few ago was still listed with their address. .??? Then they told us rate was $15 more a night than what the Internet said. They told us their was no way to comp it and change the price to the $15 cheaper. When asked for a manager to talk to, we were informed we were taking to them. She did give us a number to call 2 days from now when they we in the office. So I called the 800 number. That person was very friendly and filed a complaint for me. She was hoping that the front desk will refund $38. So we are just waiting to see know. Other than that the hotel is nice.oh and no wifi

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Danielle C,

Thank you for posting your feedback from your visit with us. I regret that you were unable to address your concerns prior to your departure, and that there were some issues with check-in.

The information you provide will allow us to revisit our processes.

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Sheraton Birmingham was a pleasant surprise. Arrived later in the evening and decor, lounge and room were a treat. Spacious clean and bright, fully stocked, I was very pleased with my room. Also front desk was just great and dinner at the Atrium was one of the nicest experiences ever. Food was tasty, service with a smile and the Superball on a giant screen, what more to ask?
Hotel has a very good gym facility that I tested at early am before checking out.
Main disappointment was staff at check out, valet that did not even try to help with luggage and morning coffee shop associate that was just not in the mood to work...I guess it happens in the best of families.
Overall...a very good stay and quite a surprise.

• Stayed February 2013
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Thaneco,

Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel. I appreciate you taking the time to say wonderful things about the hotel and staff. It concerns me that the check-out process was not as satisfactory; however, your comments were sent to the appropriate departments to improve their processes.

Thank you again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one evening, while traveling through Birmingham. The hotel is in a great location and is nicely decorated. The staff was superior in friendliness and helpfulness. I asked for a salad to go at the restaurant, it was quickly prepared but was extremely fresh and tasted wonderful! We called for an extra towel and wash cloth and I barely turned around and they were at the door. My key demagnetized (my fault) and the staff quickly got me a new one. The workout facilities had an amazing amount of equipment and were in great condition. Every time I left the room there seemed to be staff member present to assist with directions or just to have a friendly conversation. While I have read that many had problems with water pressure and heating, we did NOT experience any. Our stay was terrific!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Kimberly B,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am so happy to hear about your amazing time at the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel. We look forward to having you again in the near future.
Decatur, AL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed here due to the close proximity to the BJCC. We had a smooth and easy check in. We had a room in the atrium which had a view of the back side of the building with the steam vents blowing. The atrium basically is a large echo chamber for the noise below and it took a while to get to sleep due to the amount of noise coming from the atrium until the wee hours of the morning. We had an elementary aged child with us and this made it difficult for her to get to sleep. Upon waking in the morning and checking out the shower, I noticed that there was dried soap suds stuck to the hand rail in the shower and the tub was dirty. I had no time to try to switch rooms so went ahead and used the shower. The water started out scalding, then quickly switched to moderately warm, then to cold. I began to hurry to finish before getting too cold when the water then switched back to warm and to scalding in a few minutes. I warned my husband about the water and he checked out the water temp and it was cold. He contacted the front desk and was told to wait a few minutes and check it again. The water was warmer than ice cold so he went ahead and showered since he had just worked out. He also received a cold shower. In all of our years of traveling and staying at various levels of hotels, I have never had a cold shower . . . even at hotels that cost a fraction of this one. We were disappointed with the lack of cleanliness in the bathroom and the lack of hot water. The facility is very appealing to see, but was a disappointment during our stay.

Room Tip: I would choose a room away from the atrium to avoid the noise from the atrium at night.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear WhistlersDaughter,

Dear WhistlersDaughter,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Checking into a room that has questionable stains will leave a negative lasting impression. Additionally, it must be frustrating not having a consistent water temperature. It's regrettable that your expectations were not met during your recent stay. Please be assured that your comments were forwarded to the Hotel Management team to look into this situation.

Regards
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

I recently stayed for the night of a concert at BJCC. It was very pleasant as was expected. I had one issue which was immediately corrected. All contacts with guest services were met with quick and extremely courteous response. Bellhops were quick and friendly with your bags. The pool was closed for repairs and this was quickly noted to you with every reservation contact. The parking garage was also under remodeling, but it was not to much of a problem. The valet was full due to the concert, but self park was not too bad. The beds were fantastic. The bathroom was one of the cleanest I have had in a while, ie the wall was scumfree, the caulk was complete and white, need I say more. I will be staying again next week and will report again.

Room Tip: Lower rooms in atrium building are noisier on weekends.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Susie M,

Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel. It’s wonderful hearing that your time with us was enjoyable and worthwhile.

We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed here on Jan 16 with my wife and daughter. We were attending the Justin Bieber concert at the BJCC complex across the street. The lobby was insane due to the concert, BUT the front desk staff got us checked in quickly and were extremely friendly. Our room on the fifth floor was on par with most convention hotels (clean but lacking amenities). There was one stain on the carpet but the beds and bathroom were clean as a whistle. Overall it is a decent place to stay if you are attending an event at the BJCC.

Pros: friendly staff, good location

Cons: $8 a day for Internet access, $16 per person breakfast

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Bp8310,

We’re happy that you enjoyed your experience at our hotel. Thank you for the review, and we hope to see again at the next concert!

Warmest Regards
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Ok overall a nice looking hotel. However if this is a 31/2-4 star service hotel they should think again. Had to ask for valet to get car took 15 minutes for him to being it and they weren't even busy. I'd never pay this much to stay here again and valet was a joke. I could of walked the 3 story parking garage faster and found my car. Only reason we didn't was because I had just had surgery!

• Stayed March 2012
Dear Jennicole,

This is unacceptable; and I’ll like to say sorry for your difficult time with our Valet service. We are in the process of improving our service so that situations like yours will not happen again.

Thank you for the feedback you’ve provided. I know that we did not meet your expectations this time, but I hope that you will give us one more chance to please you.