“Best place to stay in Birmingham, but . . .”

Sheraton Birmingham
Ranked #31 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Best place to stay in Birmingham, but . . .”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The property is somewhat run down. The rooms are OK; they are decent-sized and have been updated, but there are problems with the water (sometimes too hot no matter what you do), and the hallways and carpets are dingy. The restaurant is passable, although it sometimes closes befo it's supposed to, and the bar is way too loud and the food way too fried. The staff, however, is exceptionally friendly and helpful; I would give the staff close to a 5-star rating. If there is a convention or some other large gathering at the hotel, it can be very loud, because people hand out in the atrium, and all the rooms on the atrium side of the building can hear the noise reverberating throughout the atrium, which seems to amplify it. A Westin is opening next door in 2013; I suspect that will immediately become the best place to stay in downtown Birmingham.

Room Tip: Tough choice. The atrium rooms can be noisy; the tower rooms are a bit smaller.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you RDWilson for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay did not meet your expectations; we are aware of some of the challenges that the hotel faces, and we are taking needed steps to help improve our processes.

We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments about the team - it’s always great to hear that our guests appreciate our incredible staff at the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel!

Your online review provides our hotel with valuable information; thank you for your comments and I’ll make sure to address your feedback to the team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I will start with compliment with Bellman Byron Woods who greet us with a smile and handling
of baggage with best of care. The staff check us in short amount of time. I was their for the SWAC Championship week. I enjoy my stay with the Sheraton.

Dear gene1111,

Your review is very important to us. Thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful comments about our staff at the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel. Byron will be pleased to hear about your review. Thank you, and we look forward to having you again when you’re in Birmingham.
Tarheel
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I wanted to take a moment to write this letter on behalf of Carolyn Todd. I was really impressed with the excellent service she provide at dinner. on 6 Dec.2012. The food was out standing. If am every in Birmingham for any reason I will stay at the Sheraton.

Dear Edward S,

Thank you so much for your review. It’s always a pleasure reading wonderful comments about the team at the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel. Carolyn will receive the credit she deserves.

Thank you.

Regards
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I always stay at the Sheraton when in Birmingham, because they allow pets up to 80 pounds and I travel with my dogs. It is an average Sheraton, however, as a result of the design, the rooms overlooking the atrium are VERY loud. I have also had many issues with getting a room at check-in as they are always "sold out" every time I have stayed. I find this annoying, especially at a Platinum SPG member. This last stay, one out of two of my rooms was not available until after 6:00PM, although I arrived at the hotel at 1:00PM to check-in! Also, I was told I would receive a call when my rooms became available, and after 3 hours still had not received a call although I was told it should be no longer than an hour.

In general, the Sheraton is a great location if you have an event at the convention center, but I can't wait for the Westin to open next door!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear jaitraveling,

Thank you for your loyalty to the Starwood Preferred Guest Program and for writing a review about your stay. The popularity of our frequent traveler program was not demonstrated during your check in process and we certainly apologize that you encountered this delay. I appreciate the comments that you have shared as a loyal traveler. I will make certain to address your concerns with the Department Leaders to improve our check in processes.

Thank you for your review, and we anticipate your return (as well as your wonderful dogs) to the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed December 7, 2012

The staff at the Sheraton is what makes this hotel. The shuttle driver, front desk, gift shop and restaurant servers are all awesome. Jasmine in the Sports bar is a GEM!

I had to give this hotel an average rating, however, because my room really was just "average". It was a double and seemed very cramped. The one bed was right up against the window with no room to get around it. Bathroom is very small with no vanity space. Shower temperature was very temperamental as it was either too hot or too cold. I couldn't get that "just right" temperature using the handle, and it also varied on its own. I love the make-up mirror in the bathroom, but it was loose and wouldn't stay in position on its own. The bed and pillows were comfortable. Flatscreen TV and single cup coffee maker with Starbucks brand coffee.

There is wired internet in the room for a charge, but no wireless. Wireless is only available in the lobby. I travel with my IPad and Iphone so this is not a positive for me.

Dear theokitty916,

Thank you for connecting with us!

With regards to the Internet access, it’s a pleasure to inform you that the hotel will have WIFI in the near future. While you may categorize the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel as average, I am happy to read that our exceptional commitment to customer service exceeded your expectations; Jasmine will be recognized and congratulated for her efforts.

Thank you again.
Georgia
Reviewed December 4, 2012

This is a typical unkept, convention center hotel. Kept alive by the continuous inflow of convention attendees, it would die a quicker death if it had more competition. Hallways are littered with leftover room service trays, carpet stained and soiled throughout. The sports bar in the atrium filled with so much smoke from an apparent broken grease ventilator, that you really can't stay in there to eat. The rooms have a tiny bathroom with virtually no vanity, even though our room was an upgrade.
But the best part is the greedy manner in which they rip you off in their parking fees. It's $20 which might seem a little much for a medium sized town in the south, but that's apparently not enough profit for them. If you leave your car after 4pm, they won't give it back to you without paying another $10! So even though our car was parked for only about 20 hours, the charge is in reality $30.

Room Tip: Better to drive in daily from a nice clean and reasonably priced suburban hotel
1 Thank elaine30004
Sidonia S, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear janjanllc,

I am deeply troubled to hear about your experience at our hotel, and I apologize for the inconveniences. From my understanding, you’ve had a chance to speak with someone from our hotel about the issues you've addressed in your review. Our priority is to make sure that you leave happy; we failed this time. Yet, I hope that our efforts to correct your situation will give us an opportunity to have you with us again. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel if you have any questions or additional concerns.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Great customer service at the breakfast buffet from Carolyn Todd! She was very friendly and took good care of our family. Thanks Carolyn for your excellent service. We thought you did a great job and the food was good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sidonia S, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear SMS186,

Thank you so much for the great feedback about Carolyn Todd! I've forwarded this information to the Hotel Management Staff so that Carolyn is recognized accordingly.