“Wonderful location for BJCC Events!”

Sheraton Birmingham
Ranked #32 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Prattville, Alabama
“Wonderful location for BJCC Events!”
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I have stayed here numerous times for country concerts in the past two years. After my first stay, I decided to become a Starwood Preferred Guest. The hotel is safe and the staff has always been top rate. I live about 1 1/2 hour south of Birmingham and don't wish to drive home after a late concert and the Sheraton is the perfect place to wind down afterwards. It also has numerous eateries within the hotel and wonderful room service. If you are attending an event in the downtown Birmingham area, treat yourself by staying at the Sheraton!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I stayed at the Sheraton the Friday before the LSU vs. Alabama College Football Game. The hotel was packed, and the anticipation for the following game was clearly evident. Prior to arriving at the hotel, I had extremely high expectations because a colleague of mine said that he stayed at the Sheraton and had a very pleasant, satisfying experience with an associate: Anas Khan. Afterwards, he strongly recommended that I stay at the Sheraton because of the hotel's professional staff. Upon arriving, I was greeted by a young man with a warm, welcoming smile. He asked me if I had a comfortable trip and to please let him know if he could do anything to assist me and make my stay more enjoyable. This really stood out to me; to that point, I had never had an employee approach me at the front door and immediately try to make a connection with me. After our engaging conversation, he escorted me to the line for checking-in and returned to his post behind the concierge desk to assist other guests with their luggage. The check-in process was swift and delightful. The issue started when I entered my room and noticed it wasn't clean. I immediately returned to the lobby and saw the young man who greeted me at the the entrance earlier. I approached him but he was already looking at me and greeted me with, "Hi! How has your stay been so far, sir!?" I responded, "It was great, until I walked into a dirty room." He asked me to follow him to the front desk and wait while he addressed the issue. I was expecting something along the lines of, "The room will be ready in an hour or so, I'm sorry." But when he returned ten or so minutes later. He personally escorted me to my room and made engaging conversation with me again. By this time, I was sure that this young man was a manager or supervisor. When we got the my room, the housekeeping attendant was leaving my room, he ran in and gave the room a quick scope before giving me the green to go in. I deeply thanked him and asked him for his name and whether or not he was a manager/supervisor. He said, "My name is Anas, and no, I'm not a manager or a supervisor." When he said that, I remembered his name from my colleague's suggestion. My stay was flawless because of Anas. He made the effort from start to finish. It wasn't about what he offered me; it was instead the fact that he would rather have his guest be genuinely pleased than buy him out with free things. Anas Khan and the rest of the staff at the Sheraton make its location issues not so problematic. My compliments go out to the Manager at that facility and the individual employees for not just going the extra mile but going the extra 10 miles to please their guests. I will definitely return if I ever come back to the city.

Room Tip: You never know what you'll get, apparently, nothing is a 100% given.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 9, 2011

The staff at this hotel are excellent. I was always greeted with a smile and they were always happy to help however they could. The hotel is very clean, and very, very big. Lots of walking involved to get from my room to the front of the hotel to catch a taxi. One big downfall to this property is it's location. There is absolutely no convenience stores, pharmacies, or any other stores at all (other than a subway restaurant) outside of the hotel within walking distance. There is a convenience store, restaurant and bar within the hotel however prices of basic goods in the convenience store were ridiculously inflated. It was a definite sore point and added to my disappointment with the obvious complete lack of services available in the area surrounding the hotel. Taxis were in short supply, I had to wait 40 minutes for a cab to show up at 2pm. The hotel operates a shuttle, but only to and from the airport. Unless you are attending a function at the convention center or within the hotel itself, I would recommend looking for a hotel closer to a part of the city away from the downtown as it does not have much to offer other than a few historical points of interest.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed November 8, 2011

This was my second stay at the Sheraton in Birmingham. Both times Jocelyn Stubbs (Front Desk) was a pleasure to deal with. She made thoughts of the long trip there quickly dissipate with her warm smile and friendly demeanor. She handled issues of the people in line quickly, efficiently and professionally while maintaining a positive atmosphere that had everyone leaving the front desk with a smile. She definitely should be training others how to handle front desk duty and I could see her easily managing the group. The concierge worked quickly to handle the large group that was there and kept people smiling as they waited to be attended to. Our bags were quickly delivered to our room after parking our car (they also have a valet service). The room is simple and efficient and provided good space. We had two doubles, a small table with chairs and a desk. The desk was a little small for a modern work space, but you could still use it if you needed. The atrium cafe provides great food, and the breakfast buffet is worth enjoying. Casey's bar and grill provides good bar food and enjoyable place to kick back and relax. The fitness room has multiple treadmills and eliptical machines that are very new and in great shape. They also provide free weights and some benches for a good workout. The pool is a fair size and the hot tub is worth a stop. The locker rooms have saunas for a complete experience. Overall the facilities provided are excellent and there are great places you can easily get to nearby. Take a bus for a quarter and you're by UAB and tons of restaurants and food. If you like BBQ, I highly recommend checking out Jim and Nicks (their cheesy cornbread is awesome). All in all, this is a great place to stay with excellent facilities and a fantastic staff. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Doug L
Golden Colorado
Reviewed November 8, 2011

The Sheraton Birmingham is directly across from the convention center.Rooms are large and beds ideal. But, the staff is terrible! Managemnet cannot get these people to do their jobs! Our room had not been cleaned until after 4PM. When I questioned it, I was told that many people had checked out of the hotel that day. No one , however, was checking in so why couldn't the rooms be made up? By 5 PM the hotel manager had to make up the room. Also, no one answers the phone with their name. This hotel needs new management!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Helenewe
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I was a late arrival a few weeks back yet the friendly staff left an impression from the moment I arrived. Jochelle Fikes in particular, greeted me at the desk- she was energetic, warm, and friendly. I and my business partner encountered her several times during our stay and she was always eager to assist us and greeted us with a genuine friendliness. Additionally, Cynthia who was working in the restaurant Casey's, was also very authentic in her friendly and warm demeanor. We returned to Casey's several times during our stay mainly because of her. The Concierge was staffed by several different gentlemen and women who were all utterly professional and eager to offer help as well. The Valet supervisor made several good local food recommendations also- try Nikki's West if you appreciate real down home Southern style cooking.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Anniston, Alabama
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Their is nonthing better than being able to relax after a day of shopping, right girls! Just imagine if you could do this in a beautiful Hotel located in a huge Mall, were everything is located in one place.. You can shop till you drop, really! lol. Spend a couple of hours Christmas shopping go back to your room and get cozy in one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in! You will be so at ease knowing that when you wake you can change clothes in the comfort of you room, go eat in the same location with out getting out in the cold weather and then shop some more. This can be done with you and your girls as a Mother~daughter get away..A birthday present with your daughter and her friends or why not you and your husband, you know how restless they get shopping..So let them go to the room and watch some cable or hook up to some wi-fi. The rooms have everything you need to make you feel right at home or you can bring the romance back into your life after visiting Victoria's Secret..giggles. :) ..Enjoy your stay , you will make this a yearly tradition!

Room Tip: I would try to get a lower level room...You will have so many bags to carry from all that shopping...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family