“average”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #32 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed January 19, 2014

This Hotel was nice, but could use some attention to detail. The room has a char that was in need of replacing due to slits in the vinyl covering. restaurant service was much better than menu offerings which did not offer much for customers taste in the local area.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Michelle E, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2014

Hello,
I am Michelle Edwards, guest service manager with the Doubletree hotel Birmingham. I am glad that you were a guest with us and I hope you arent discouraged from staying with us again. Feedback is very important to us and it is greatly appreciated because we know what improvements we can make for our guests to be happier. And our restaurant has very excellent chefs so if something is not on the menu, let us know and we will see if we can accomodate you. I am glad that you enjoyed the service from our excellent staff. I hope you visit with us again. Thank you

Reviewed January 16, 2014

This hotel is accessible. The staff is great. Special shout out to JD the bellman who went out of his way to acclimate me to the hotel and my room. The exercise room has the first accessibly equipped treadmill I've encountered. It actually allows you to zoom the screen to enter your choices. Great touch. Every member of the front desk staff is friendly and helpful early in the day and later in the evening, I was always treated with respect. Although they do not have a Braille or large print menu available in the restaurant or bar, or it was just not offered, the staff did a really good job of giving me the selections available, Nd they did it in an extremely professional manner.
Only one complaint and that was that on my last night I returned to my room and found housekeeping had not taken the care I received my first few days there and had not taken the time to put the trashcan out of the walkway.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Michelle E, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Hello,
This is Michelle Edwards, guest service manager with the Doubletree hotel in Birmingham, Alabama. I am so pleased to know that your stay was great and the staff was friendly. I hope you come and visit with us. Please feel free to contact me when you make your next reservation because if there is anything I can do to help make your stay even more enjoyable it would be my pleasure to asist. Thank you and I hope to speak with you soon.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Good choice for those who are looking for an upscale hotel experience in Birmingham. Excellent staff, good food, and clean, comfortable rooms, in an area close to the medical district. Good nearby restaurants from fast food to 3 star. Good beer and wine culture in the district.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Michelle E, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Hello,
I am Michelle Edwards, guest service manager with the Doubletree hotel in Birmigham, Al. I am so glad you had a chance to experience our 5 points south district which has an array of restaurants and lounge facilities. It is only 2 blocks from the hotel and does not offer any dull moments. We are also only a half a mile away from the historic district located on the north side of downtown. So its plenty of activities nearby to keep you and your family occupied with tons of fun and education. I hope you come back to visit. Thank you

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Reason for stay was appt. with UAB. Other than the noise at night of the ambulances etc., which is to be expected since near the hospital, this hotel was very convenient, staff was friendly and very helpful in getting us to where we need to be.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Hello,
I am Michelle Edwards, guest service manager with the Doubletree hotel in Birmigham, Al. I am very glad that you experienced a great stay and our stay treated you well. I hope you are back to visit with us very soon. Thank you

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We were only here for one night so this review only includes room service, staff and the room itself.

In the mornings the first thing I do is make my coffee and we were surprised to see that the coffee pot hadn't been cleaned in some time. When I pulled out the container to place the coffee pod in there was a dried up one still in there. Needless to say we didn't clean it or use the coffee pot.

As an HH member, I've always been placed on the designated HH Floors where it's clearly marked. Maybe this hotel doesn't have it marked? We also were not offered any cookies upon checkin (a staple of staying here) but my husband saw trays full in the garbage the next morning.

I felt the room service we ordered was overly priced pub food at best. I've come to realize that room service really doesn't = quality food anymore.

They have a private, manned parking garage for parking which helped alleviate our security concerns but they do also charge you for this.

Front Desk staff was very friendly.

The room was very comfortable and spacious in my opinion. We had our daughter with us who slept in a gocrib and there was plenty of room even with that up. They were pretty up to date which was nice to see. Modern fixtures and lots of outle plugs to charge all the techy stuff.

Microwaves and refrigerators are big additions these days. As the cost of things go up people travel more with their own items and having these available is a huge plus. Also, as a mother, it's very helpful to have a microwave in the room for heating any necessary items! This hotel lacks both (in the standard King room anyway)

Overall Cons:
No free internet
No free parking
No microwave
No fridge

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Hello,
I am Michelle Edwards, guest service manager with the Doubletree hotel in Birmigham, Al. I apologize about the coffee pot in your room. We could have certainly taken care of that for you. We do offer refrigerators available upon request at no additional charge. I am glad that the service you experienced was exceptional. I hope you come back and visit with us again. If you do, please contact me personally so that I may help ensure your stay is more exceptional. Thank you and I hope to speak with you soon.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in December 2013. I've seen some reviewers complain the rooms are too small for the price and that the room doesn't have a fridge or a microwave.The room is an average size hotel room, and is comfortable, appealing and clean. Yes, there was not a fridge nor a microwave but on a short stay why would one need it. I wanted a cold drink one night and used the ice machine in the corridor and the ice bucket in the room. Location is central to downtown. Staff were good. I didn't make use of any of the amenities or breakfast so can't comment on that. But overall and especially given price, I would definetly stay here again. No complaints.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
medwards1978, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Hello,
This is Michelle Edwards, guest service manager with the Doubletree hotel in Birmingham, Al. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We want you to be excited when staying with us and we strive to make your stay exceptional. I hope you come back and visit with us soon. Thank you

Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the DoubleTree for one night when in Birmingham for a concert. Hotel seemed quiet when we checked in around 6pm, but the staff members were all very helpful and friendly. Gotta love the warm cookies upon check-in! Reggie, the shuttle driver, was especially hospitable and offered to drive us to dinner. He even took us to the concert later that evening, saying he'd rather drive us than have us walk. I hadn't even realized the hotel had a shuttle! We found out about it when requesting a cab. Our room was on the main floor (Hilton Honors floor), and light sleepers might have trouble with the noise since it's next to UAB hospital and ambulances come in at all hours. We had no trouble sleeping, though. For a hotel whose exterior appeared older, the room was modern and very clean. My only complaint, and this is very minor, would be that the water temperature in the shower never got hot-- just warm. I would, however, definitely revisit this hotel when in Birmingham again.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello,
This is Michelle Edwards, guest service manager with the Doubletree hotel in Birmingham, Al. It is wonderful to know that our staff treated you exceptionally well. We pride ourselves on giving our guest the best service. We dont want you to feel like guests here at the Doubletree hotel. We want you to feel like this is your home away from home so we will do our very best to accomodate your needs. I hope you come back and visit with us soon. Thank you