“Nice hotel, a little pricey”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #29 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
“Nice hotel, a little pricey”
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Spent one night here for an event in downtown Birmingham. Hotel is located in a very good location, just a couple of miles from downtown. There are a wide variety of restaurants, all within walking distance. I thought the room was furnished nicely and was very clean. The bed was extremely comfortable. Very nice amenities in the bathroom. The only negative to the room itself was the outside noise. I was woken early in the morning by the sound of sirens on some sort of emergency vehicle. Wasn't anything major, though. I really didn't hear much hallway noise or noise from rooms next door, which is a big plus! The front desk service was so-so. They were efficient, just not overly friendly. I ran into an employee in the elevator, and again not much customer service personality. Nothing really bad, just didn't seem overly happy to be working there. The hotel was a little pricey. I could have probably saved a few dollars by staying at a couple of the hotels located within walking distance from this one. There is an attached parking garage, which was really nice. I think it was $10 per night. One last thing though: I have not stayed at a Doubletree in several years. I thought that the cookie was much better back then! Now, they just hand it to you at check-in, with your room key. Almost like it is a burden, instead of a nice little perk.i would recommend this hotel, and I would stay here again, but I would definitely look on-line for a discounted rate.

• Stayed February 2013
medwards1978, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Hello, my name is Michelle Edwards, guest service manager with the Doubletree hotel in Birmingham, Al. I apologize about the service not exceeding your expectations. We sincerely pride ourselves on giving the best customer service to all of our guests. I am glad to know that you will return and if you do please feel free to contact me personally because I would like to ensure you get a great rate and I would love to help make your stay even more enjoyable. Also it would give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations and show you outstanding friendly service. Thank you and I hope to speak with you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Birmingham
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed one night in a top floor king. Great view of the city. Clean room, comfy bed and friendly staff. Not liking this review app though it is forcing me to give a 200 character minimum.......not happy with that.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
medwards1978, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Hello, my name is Michelle Edwards, guest service manager at the Doubletree hotel in Birmingham, Al. I hope you come back and visit us and I will try to get you a room on the top floor again. Besides the view, there are other great attributes the hotel as to offer. Maybe your next visit could be to our newly renovated fitness center. And this easter which is only a week and half away our pool will be opened and we have revitalized the patio area. So I hope you come back and visit with us very soon. Thank you
Norcross
Reviewed February 24, 2013

No free Wifi??????? Move up to the 21st century.The heat did not work but they took care of it promptly. The bar tender was a life saver. He told us about a free ride supplied by the hotel to the restaurant and pick us up.Also made great Cosmos.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hello, my name is Michelle Edwards, guest service manager at the Doubletree hotel in Birmingham, Al. It is great to hear a guest say they enjoyed their stay and was treated exceptionally by our associates. We do have free wireless in the lobby area, restaurant, lobby bar as well as our 24 hour business center. I hope you come back and visit and perhaps visit some more restaurants, there are over a dozen in the 5 points district area that's only 2 blocks from the hotel. And I'm sure we can arrange our shuttle driver to assist you again with transportation. Thank you
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

The staff was amazing!! I made the trip to birmingham to visit my dad who I haven't seen in over 20 years, and I chose this hotel because its near his home. From the moment I checked in I was greeted by name and given all the gold member perks. The front desk staff in particular are some of the friendliest I've ever met in all of my travels. After meeting my dad I came back to tell them about it, next thing I know we spent almost an hour talking (it was 1130 so it was pretty slow). Room was decent, all of my request were fulfilled and I honestly can say this has been one of th best hotel expirences I've had. I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Hello, my name is Michelle Edwards with the Doubletree hotel in Birmingham, Al. I am so pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and your visit with your dad was an extremely positive one. We pride ourselves with making guests feel welcomed and at home and I am glad to know that we succeeded with you. I hope you come back and visit with us. Thank you
McDonough, Georgia
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This site is an excellent location and within walking distance to UAB, Medical Center, and Five Points. The front desk staff and bartender are extremely friendly, although drink prices are high ($5.65 for a beer). Lighting in the rooms and bathrooms (low output) are TERRIBLE as the hotel is environmentally friendly. The fitness room is excellent with multiple treadmills, weight machines, and free weights.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hello, my name is Michelle Edwards, guest service manager, I am happy to know that you enjoyed your stay. I hope you continue to visit with us and please to contact me personally so if there's anything I can do to make it better and I would be more than happy to assist you. Thank you
Bella Vista, Arkansas
Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

This is my second stay at this hotel and once again pleased. I saw other's comments about noise. There's no more noise here than at any other hotel in a big city. There will always be some just because its all cement and sound cascades upward, give the hotel a break there. My room was huge and clean. The ac drowned out any outside noise the thick curtains didn't, and I'm a light sleeper. Although the 808 Bistro was closed the full menu was available from the lobby bar. I had an amazingly tender filet and margarita.

• Stayed January 2013
Hello, my name is Michelle Edwards, guest service manager with the Doubletree hotel in Birmingham, Al. I am glad that you came back to visit with us and you had another great stay. I hope you keep coming back and contact me personally when you do because I would love the opportunity to try and help your stay be even more enjoyable. Thank you and I hope to speak with you soon.
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We always enjoy our stay at the Doubletree Birmingham. The rooms are clean, staff is great, and of course the location is ideal.

I do, however, had a few concerns about hotel amenities. This is one the few hotels I have stayed at that charge a surcharge for using their internet. Most hotels have complimentary wifi, Hilton brand included. I think it is ridiculous to have such a surcharge. No refrigerator or microwave in the rooms! Again, most hotels have one or both in their rooms. I believe their competitor across the street offer these complimentary amenities. For these reasons, I wished we booked elsewhere in Birmingham for our trip. We come back every year at this time, and i believe I will look into other hotels nearby that offer more for the same rate.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike and John D
Hello, my name is Michelle Edwards, guest service manager with the Doubletree hotel in Birmingham, Al. I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay but if you will provide us with another opportunity to impress you further it would definitely be appreciated it. We have complimentary refrigerators available upon request. When you come back to visit just ask for me and I can help ensure that this amenity is available for you. We do have a central location for the microwave for our guests to use in the hotel. Also, we have rates that includes breakfast and our breakfast is hot and fresh with over a dozen items to choose from. So we do have some great amenities you didnt have an opportunity to experience. But if you come back and visit and ask for Michelle I can help ensure you experience all that we have to offer. Thank you and I hope to speak with you soon.