“Clean, friendly, but walls thin”

Doubletree Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #30 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Horse Shoe, North Carolina
“Clean, friendly, but walls thin”
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

The staff is excellent here--very friendly and helpful. The rooms are nicely renovated and the gym has new equipment. However, the walls are pretty thin. I could hear my neighbor watching TV and it's not blasting. I hate that.

• Stayed October 2012
medwards1978, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
We appreciate you staying with us. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay. I do apologize about the walls being thin in your room. We do have quieters rooms in the hotel. When you book your stay with us again contact me personally so that I may select a room for you that will be quieter and you'll be able to enjoy your stay even more. I hope you come back and visit and I look forward to speaking with you. Thank you

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Huntsville, AL
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Reading previous reviews made me skeptical of what type of experience we might be in for. However, our recent one night stay was excellent. The staff who greeted at check-in and check-out were friendly and prompt (plus, I got my cookie). The room was clean and nicely appointed. As we frequent the UAB campus and like to stay at a convenient location, we will definitely be back.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
medwards1978, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Hello,
This is Michelle Edwards, front office manager with the Doubletree Hotel in Birmingham, Al. I do really appreciate your positive feedback and I am so excited that you enjoyed your stay and you will be back with us. When you make your reservation please contact me personally if you need anything. I can be reached at the hotel at 205-933-9000 or you may email me at medwards@columbiasussex.com. I want to make your stay even more enjoyable. I look forward to speaking with you soon. Thank you
Dallas
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night on August 28th. Compared to some of the newer hotels in the same area (Springhill Suites and Residence Inn, both of which I have also stayed in recently), the Doubletree is tired. “Tired” might be a little harsh but that’s how I would describe it. If the property were properly renovated, it might be the best hotel in Birmingham based on location and facilities.

With that said, I had a good stay. The service at the front desk and in the parking lot was both terrific (I had my radar up for that based on some the recent reviews). The room I had was clean and well-appointed (pics attached). The HD TV had a nice number of actual HD channels, the internet was fast (handled my VPN connection and a streaming video connection just fine). My corporate rate included internet and the front desk told me to accept the charge when I logged in and that it would be automatically removed when my bill was delivered to the room. Again, based on prior reviews, I was expecting an issue but the charge was indeed removed automatically. The desk in the room was functional and the bed was comfortable. The linens and towels were of better than average quality. I did not observe any of the housekeeping issues noted in some of the other reviews.

There were a few minor negatives. I’m not a fan of CFL bulbs, as they give the room an industrial feel; every light in the room was a CFL. I ordered room service for dinner, which was actually decent in quality; they said would be delivered in 30 minutes but it took over 45. The waiter offered an unsolicited apology about the delay, which was nice. The USA Today showed up at 8:30am, which normally would be well past my departure time. My biggest issue was the noise from the AC. The good news is that the AC works well; the bad news is that the one in my room was louder than it should be and it flipped on and off too frequently. A light sleeper might have an issue with that.

Having the full room service/restaurant option is the biggest differentiator for this hotel, in my opinion. If that’s not important and/or if a more “fresh” feeling place are the priorities, then there are better options at about the same price point in the same area. I knew I would need dinner in the room (and I’m a few stays shy of Gold with Hilton), so I was fine with this choice.

In assigning a 3 rating, I compare this place to other hotels in the same hotel class. On that basis, it’s average. I don’t mean that in a bad way... it’s an average 3.5 star hotel. Service was above the average and the condition of the property taken as a whole is below the average for hotels of the same class.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank businesstravelerdfw
medwards1978, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you for being our guest on August 28th. We appreciate your feedback and your kind words in the review. We value your input as a guest and take all guest comments to heart. Your perspective about our hotel, our guestrooms and our service help us to be better and make improvements.
Please feel free to share additional comments or suggestions with us anytime. We hope you will visit us again in the future and allow us to share our improvements with you.
Madison
Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

The desk staff that greeted me was certianly not out of her way friendly. My room was on the 10th floor, musty and dirty. The one bright white "sweet dreams" pillow looked as though it had been tossed in the dirt, and I found candy wrappers on the floor, and dried stains on the bathroom floor. I didn't complain, because my initial interaction with the desk staff was sub par, and I didn't have the energy to argue. I wish I had read the reviews first, I would've never selected this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Julie L
Hello,
My name is Michelle Edwards, front office manager with the Doubletree hotel in Birmingham, Al. I would like to speak with you personally about your experience and what we could have done to make it more enjoyable for you. We pride ourserlves on giving the best customer service so if there is a need for improvement we definitely need your feedback. Our customer service scores are rated high so not giving great customer service is not a standard. Please contact me at the hotel at 205-933-9000 or email me at medwards@columbiasussex.com and I will be more than happy to discuss your hotel stay. Thank you
Woodbridge
Reviewed August 5, 2012

The first night I stayed at the DoubleTree I tried to order room service at 10:00 PM on the dot... My phone in my room did not work after multiple attempts and I had to use my cell phone to call the front desk. The room service list in the room stated to be open until 11 pm, however it closed at 10 pm and I got attitude from the front desk because they said I should have been told that in check-in (which was new news). I had to go downstairs in my pajamas after traveling all day and get food from the snack area by the front desk since there are no vending machines, although hallways are labeled as so. I complained to the front desk again about my phone and told them I did not want anyone to fix it that night because I wanted to sleep. I never used it again so I am not sure if it was fixed the next day or not. I told the front desk my room was dirty... something resembling fried chicken crumbs was all over the floor in plain sight next to the chair by the bed (I noticed it immediately when I walked in the room to put my things down). Even after room service came three days in a row while I was there... It was never cleaned up! I never told anyone this, but when I walked back up to my room with my food and drink I was going to use the ice container and it was filled with old water?! EW! Anyways back to my conversation with the front desk I complained that I was here on business and the internet description of this hotel was misleading and that I thought each room had internet connections-without charge... After explaining all the issues I had been having, she stated she would comp my internet, which I was pleased about... Until I got my bill before I left and saw the three day charge, which was excessively priced by the way! So once again I had to complain to the front desk to get the charge removed. Whew. Overall, the room was also excessively dusty?? The coffee cups had to be rinsed before use because of a layer of dust. I also did not complain, but I could hear a little kid running up and down the halls throughout the day and night-sometimes screaming and crying. I felt bad for her and I have kids so I did not want to upset the parents, but it was pretty ridiculous. Needless to say I have to come back within the next year to UAB and I will absolutely not be staying at this Double Tree and I am VERY disappointed. The only good thing about this hotel is the conveinence factor to UAB and airport shuttle.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Pr0fessi0nalStudent
medwards1978, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Hello,
My name is Michelle Edwards, front office manager with the Doubletree hotel in Birmingham. I am extremely apologetic that you did not have a delightful stay. I would like to speak with you personally about your stay so that I am able to research and investigate the concerns you expressed. We are dedicated to ensuring our guests enjoy their stay so I would really like to make things better for you and all guests. Thank you and I hope to speak with you soon.
Tennessee
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I stayed for three nights in a king room which was clean and comfortable. The front desk was less than charming or helpful upon my arrival. I suspect if I had been a male businessman in a suit I would have received more attentive service (note to staff: you never know which middle aged female in casual clothes owns her own business with complete say on where her staff stays) -- she did not ask about my Hilton Honors number, did not ask if I had a car, did not direct easiest place to park to access elevators, etc. By the way, the garage elevator directly accesses the 2nd floor of the hotel which is the main floor with the lobby.

I had room service the first night with a nice note to call a direct number to remove my used tray and dishes. No one ever answered that number. I put my tray outside in the hallway --which I know is gross to walk by. Hanging from my doorknob was the notice that I would like breakfast the next morning. In the morning it was apparent that some staff member had taken the order off the doorknob, but left the dirty tray of dishes. I can just hear the mutters of "wasn't my job".

The cleaning service did a thorough job; however -- I am OVER maids touching my personal items in the bathroom. That is a trend that started a few years ago and needs to end. Clean the sink, but don't rearrange my toiletries please. It was a nice touch to have a nice, soft rug in the bathroom sink area, as well as a bath mat to put down.

The gym facility had some nice equipment with each elliptical machine having it's own TV which I liked; when they update it would be nice to get the machines that have personal fans as well.

Overall, I enjoyed the spacious room, great bedding and comfortable desk chair; but Hilton needs some work on front desk help. I will say, any staff I encountered in the hallways were very friendly and personable -- perhaps they should be trained in the aforementioned desk job?

Room Tip: The parking lot elevator opens very close to the 2nd floor rooms (which is the same level as the lob...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Codeedo
Hello,
My name is Michelle Edwards, front office manager for the Doubletree hotel in Birmingham. I invite you to contact me personally about your experience. We are a hotel that pride ourselves on giving exceptional customer service and we treat all guest as very important people. We service not only business guest but hospital guest as well as college students. We are only within a few blocks of several hospitals and the college campus of University of Alabma at Birmingham (UAB) so our guest come from all over nation to be with us . Thank you and I hope to speak with soon.
houston
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Our company stays here frequently, & overall it is a very accomodating hotel. The real complaint I have it that there is entirely too much furniture going on in this room. I had to move chairs to get to the window, or to the other side of the room. I really hate tripping over ottomans when I am trying to get to the bathroom!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank JanetCranky
Hello,
My name is Michelle Edwards, front office manager for the Doubletree hotel by Hilton in Birmingham. I am glad that you and your company enjoy staying with us. I invite you to contact me personally for any selection of furniture you may or may not need in your room. I can help with trying to select a more spacious room for you or removing an item so that you are able to have a more enjoyable stay. Thank you and I look forward to speaking with you soon.