“Bumbling staff” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Atlanta, Georgia
“Bumbling staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

Every staff member offered different answers to our requests, there were constant up-charge requests - all of them differed from the Doubletree website. I'll be back to Birmingham, but I would never stay here again.

Room Tip: The facility is fine, but avoid the place - the staff will make a significant impression ....
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
medwards1978, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Hello,
My name is Michelle Edwards, front office manager with the Double tree hotel. I sincerely apologize about any miscommunication that may have occurred during your stay. I would like to speak with you about the details of your stay because our goal is to ensure our guest are knowledgeable about the hotel and the city. Perhaps speaking with you will allow us the opportunity to clarify any confusions in hopes you wont be discouraged from staying with us again. I do hope to speak with you soon. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2012

Stayed at this property on a Sunday night for an early morning appointment at UAB Hospital. Property was clean and the staff were all very nice.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Hello,
My name is Michelle Edwards, front office manager with the Double tree in Birmingham, Al. I am so excited to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our staff exemplified great service. It is always a pleasure to hear positive feedback especially when its concerning our customer service because we take pride in giving the best customer service. I do hope you come back and visit. Thank you
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

Stayed here on an overnight. The room was clean and the bed was comfy. My room had an adjoining door, and I could hear the person next door. Thank god they were relatively quiet, or else I would have had trouble sleeping! I'd ask for a room that does not adjoin another.

• Stayed December 2011
Hello,
I am Michelle Edwards, front office manager, from the DoubleTree hotel in Birmingham, Al. I would like to thank you for staying with us and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. The beds are our signature mattress called sweet dreams and we have had many guest that love the beds. But I hope you come back and visit. Thank you
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2011

My husband and I were in Birmingham last week for a business-related trip and stayed at the Doubletree for one night. I frequent the Birmingham area and have stayed in 5 other hotels in the area. The Doubletree is now my new "in-town" favorite ( Ross Bridge Rennaisance is my favorite hotel for the outskirts of Bham). Here are the highlights:

* We got complimentary downtown parking for staying at the hotel.

* Check-in was easy. The front desk assistant was familiar with the group that we were traveling with

* We stayed on the 14th floor--which they consider to be the Hilton Honor Floor-- our room had a wonderful view of the city

* All "high-end" amenities in the room: Crabtree and Evelyn soaps and lotions, Wolfgang Puck coffee, a mini-fridge, warm cookies in the lobby

* The internet was NOT free. You have to pay $9.99 for access. If you choose to use the business center, the computers are older and very slow.

* The hotel is located downtown and is right across the street from the hospital. If you are planning to visit one of the hospitals or need to be downtown, then this hotel is ideal. If you are not, then you may want to look at other hotels in Birmingham. The downtown area is not the "most happening" part of Birmingham. There are a few nice restaurants about a mile from the hotel (Hot and Hot... ) and a few casual places (Slices, Moes BBQ, Newks).

Bottom line: Would I stay here again? Yes, if I was visiting the hospital or doing business downtown.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank JustCallmeTourGuide
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2011

I attended a coaches conference here a few weeks ago, and I had a good experience. The front desk staff was very accomadating and helpful. The rooms were large and very clean. I felt very much at home. The restaurant had a variety of foods at a reasonable price. I would definitely suggest that others should stay here as well.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Tommy C
Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for three nights with my daughter and infant grand-daughter for a weekend event at the hotel. The room was clean and the beds very comfortable. There is a little too much furniture in the double room, which is already small and the lighting in the bathroom leaves much to be desired.

Curiously, the carpet in nearly all the public areas (hallways, ballrooms, and coference area) buckles in many places causing a real safety (tripping) hazard. They should consider having all the carpet stretched to rememdy this.

Overall our stay was good and the staff was pleasant and accommodating.

Room Tip: The king rooms have more space.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Arlington, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2011

I wasn't sure whether I should review this property, because the experience I had seemed likely to be out of the ordinary. After some thought, I wanted to warn other travelers of the experience.

I checked in to the facility late in the evening after a full day of meetings. I was exhausted and just wanted a place to sleep. The hotel lobby is nice, the staff on check in was helpful and pleasant, and parking was simple, although not included in the room rate. (In a city like Birmingham with limited public transportation options, this last item struck me as disingenuous at best.)

The room was spacious, and had plenty of furniture, although the furniture was worn. In a couple of places, the veneer was peeling or broken.

After climbing into the bed, I noticed...a viscous substance...on the nightstand. It was...fresh, or at least not dry. Since I was so wiped out, I got a wet washcloth and soap and cleaned it myself. I laid down on the other side of the bed and went to sleep.

The next morning, I discovered a pair of (fairly large) earrings on the floor.

I don't care to speculate further here as to what had occurred in the room before I got there, but since the bed was well made and undisturbed, I can imagine fairly clearly.

I informed the front desk of the situation when I checked out, and was given a heartfelt apology, and a promise that if I called before I came in the future, they would make sure the room was "spotless."

After returning home (and giving the matter some thought) I decided that an apology and promise of future cleanliness was inadequate. I called Doubletree Guest Services and told them about the situation; they are providing a refund.

I hope this situation is out of the ordinary, but I will not be staying at this Doubletree property again in the future, and have to advise others to avoid it as well.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business