“Very nice boutique hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB

The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB
Ranked #24 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“Very nice boutique hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at the Hotel Highland. We were very pleased. The room was a little small (we had king bed though), but well appointed. The air conditioning worked wonderfully, as our room was freezing when we entered. A quick adjustment to the thermostat and all was good. The bed was very comfortable. The staff was extremely friendly and check in/out was quick and painless. We did not get a chance to try out the hotel bar but it looked kozy. My wife enjoyed the free breakfast while I slept in. The hotel offers valet parking, which we used. The valets were attentive and friendly. All in all, a great trip.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review of our hotel!! We are pleased that your experience with us was a fabulous one, as that is our goal!! We hope you and your wife will come back soon, as we would love to h ave you! Have a great day and thank you again! Renee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Jackson, Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

if you are looking for a clean and affordable hotel in a great part of Birmingham, look no more!

Hotel Highland is a great alternative to the big chain hotels and overall is a score in every way...( so that is the good).

But, I was there for three nights and two days, worked in my room until noon. each day, housekeeping knocked on my door and asked if I needed anything. It was an unusual exchange to say the least.. I felt as if the standard ( and my thought is this is not the hotel standard...but the particular housekeeper standard). I wasn't asked if I needed service nor did housekeeping come in and empty trash, take out used towels... it was more as if I was staying at my grandmother's and she asked me if i needed anything.

The topper offer moment was when I said I needed trash taken out and was provided with three huge plastic bags... and the housekeeper stood and watched me as I proceeded to open bags and attempt to empty trash. I finally just told her there was no need to worry about trash. It was unprofessional and odd..... ( this is the bad... and kinda ugly)

I will definitely stay here again. However, I will be out of my room before housekeeping begins their knocking and i will be sure to give VERY detailed directions to the housekeeping staff to be sure all points are covered in my absence.

I travel 90% of the time and am in hotels most of the time. The housekeeping staff I encountered at this true jewel of hotel was certainly a cubic zirconia...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank eam66
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you eam66 for letting me know about your experience with our housekeeping staff, as I must admit I am so very surprised. I have already given a copy of your comments to our Exec Housekeeper who was just as shocked and will be having a serious conversation with her team members this morning. I can assure you this will not happen again, and should by chance it does, I would hope you would call me right away so we can take care of it! Again, my many thanks for bringing to my attention, as these details need to be known! Have a great day and we are looking forward to seeing you again in the very near future! Renee
Hattiesburg, Mississippi, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

This hotel was located in the heart of downtown within walking distance of several restaurants. The hotel was clean with top notch courteous staff. The room was great overlooking the dowtown area. Very clean and spacious rooms. Would recommend to anyone traveling in the area!! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Thank you Beth B for taking the time to tell us about your experience here at The Hotel Highland! We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and look so forward to seeing you again! Have an wonderful day~ Renee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

I booked 15 nights at the Hotel Highland for guests for my conference in June 2014, nearly $2,000 to be billed to my account. Rather than follow my instructions, the hotel billed several of my guests. This was damaging to our event's reputation and was the last impression these visitors had upon leaving Birmingham.

I asked for help and answers from the hotel for 4 weeks before giving up. The hotels' owners in Atlanta chose instead to make (empty) threats and skip the courtesy of a simple phone call.

Needless to say, I will never do business with this hotel again, though I have paid the bill in full. If you have a billing problem of any kind with the hotel, you have been forewarned. They will ignore you. They will attempt to intimidate you. But they will not try anything remotely resembling accountability or reasonable customer service.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank WadeKwon
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Wade, We are truly sorry that you feel this way. But as you well know, these remarks are false and untrue. We have worked with you and gave you many room credits from something that was not even our fault, as if you had your payment in order, none of this would ever be an issue. From the start you wanted free rooms and have tried every way possible to get them. Our staff has been nothing but polite and responsive to your needs. You are the only one who has done damage to your reputation and should take accountability that you dropped the ball and stop blaming it on the hotel. As of this date, the remaining balance has not been paid.
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

We enjoy older hotels and this one was good. The service was great and friendly. It is located near the University so there are plenty of moderately priced restaurants nearby. We found a pub that had good barbeque. The beds were comfortable with crisp sheets. Breakfast included, though it was minimal.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beenthere1950
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Thank you Beenthere1950 for writing such a nice review of our hotel! Our team members will be excited to hear that your stay was an awesome one! We do so hope you will come and visit with us again in the very near future!! See you again soon and have a wonderful day~ Renee
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

We recently stayed at Hotel Highland and I have mixed emotions about it. First, the employees were terrific! Very helpful and nice. Hotel was in a convenient part of town, but we didn't really care about any of the restaurants or shops in Five Points. I was there as part of a conference, so had a discounted rate. Not sure, but maybe this was why we were given the smallest room on the floor. Each floor has just 9 rooms and the ones ending in "05" are very small - one of the smallest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. Tiny bathroom! But, it was very quiet, especially considering we were by the elevator and the room was at the front of the hotel on the busy street. As mentioned by others, the decor was eclectic - the chair in the room was definitely more of an "art" piece than designed to sit in. You also don't have any control over room temperature, just how much the fan blows, but it was comfortable most of the time. Very comfy bed, but it could have been a queen to give more space in the room. The breakfast was very good. They have a bar, but we didn't go to it. The major drawbacks were things that "chain" hotels always have - no refrigerator in the room and no way to get ice except through a bellman (so it wasn't free because we tipped). A can of soda (at the front desk) was a whopping $2. Parking wasn't convenient either. You could park on the street (metered) or in the public parking lot a short distance away but that didn't look safe. So, we used the $16 per day valet parking - and invariably left something in the car that we needed! As others have said, a boutique hotel has its positives and negatives.

Room Tip: Unless you're traveling by yourself, avoid the rooms ending in "05." Very small.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you Deb K so much for taking the time to tell us about your stay here at The Hotel Highland! You are so right with a boutique hotel, as they do have some quirky features that some of the bigger chains do not have...that is why we love it so! We do hope you will come and stay with us again in the near future, as we would love to see you again! In the future, please reserve a suite to have a few extra amenities, as the rate is not too much more that what a big chain would charge for a standard room! See you soon and have an awesome day! Renee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

This hotel is located in the heart of Five Points South in Birmingham. This area has multiple restaurants, bars, coffee shops, music stores etc.... all within walking distance of the hotel. We stayed with our kids. The room had two double beds plus a separate living room with a large couch. Great views of the city! Yes, we heard other hotel guests coming in at 3 am, but this hotel is in the heart of a night life district - it's to be expected! They do have a free breakfast and a cute hotel bar. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are so very pleased you had a wonderful experience here at The Hotel Highland, as our team members strive each day to make everyone feel welcomed and at home! We certainly hope to see you again in the future and so appreciate your telling us about your stay!! Have an awesome day! Renee