“Two amazing employees at the Hotel Highland, Birmingham, AL!”

The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB
Ranked #28 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed February 18, 2014

My wife and I stayed at The Highland for two nights this past week (2/16/14 & 2/17/14) and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The bed was super comfortable, the room spacious, and the shower hot and powerful.

In particular, there were two employees who were lifesavers: Gloria and Kenneth.

1) Kenneth -- he helped us move our many suitcases into the hotel late Sat night (2am arrival) and set us up with valet parking. Kenneth was calm and unbelievably helpful, as we required two carts to haul our many packages and suitcases. He was a godsend because we were very tired from our 10 hour drive from Chicago that night. What a great guy (and hard worker!).

2) Gloria -- she saved me today when I opened up my suitcase here in Atlanta and realized that I had left all of my sweaters at the hotel in two of the drawers of our room. I panicked and immediately called the hotel and Gloria was super helpful in locating the sweaters and arranging to ship them via Fedex to our next stop, Nashville. Along with Andy, who helped with filling out the Fedex forms, Gloria went the extra step to deliver the box to Fedex herself! In addition, she called when our Fedex number couldn't be processed due to my giving her an incorrect number (off by one digit). It was a regular comedy of errors on my part, and Gloria really worked hard to rectify my mistake so that I can have my sweaters when we head on back North on Friday (driving to Cleveland).

Thank you Gloria and Kenneth! You guys are THE BEST! I hope you guys get big raises for your extraordinary efforts on our behalf...;) Both of you stayed past your regular work hours to help us out, and we will always be grateful for that. :)
---

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank V2fromBrooklyn
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Thank you V2 for taking time to write such a wonderful review, not only of our hotel but our staff as well! They will be so pleased to see that you have recognized them for the efforts and service! We are also pleased that your experience with us was a positive one and look forward to hopefully seeing you in the future! Again our many thanks for sharing~ Have a great day! Renee

There are newer reviews for The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB

Reviewed February 18, 2014

We stayed on Valentine's Day weekend. It was really good. The area around has great places to eat, good places for music and even an art museum is not too far away. We went up to the Vulcan park and walked around. Check-in was smooth and we just dropped our keys off at the desk on the way out. Very clean room and wonderful bed. Had a great time, a nice get-away. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: 807 is the BEST ! The only queen room, beautiful bedroom set & headboard. Overlooks the castle...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Melissa B

Thank you so much for your awesome review of our hotel! We certainly thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your experience with other travelers! Thank you again and have a wonderful day~ See you again in the future! Renee

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Stayed at the Highland on 2-13-14. Suite room was small but clean. Bed comfortable.
Staff was friendly. There is no free parking. Valet parking was expensive but nice and safe.
Next trip to UAB, I will stay in Homewood and drive the 5 miles each day.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank swn g
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review of our hotel! We certainly appreciate our guests and their feedback to hopefully make the next visit even better! Other than valet parking, I wasn't sure if you knew about the public city deck directly behind the hotel....it is $4.00 which is a bit less expensive, but it is $4.00 per exit. Do be careful when picking a hotel in Homewood, as in the downtown area they do charge for parking, but in the outer area (near the interstate) they do not! If we can be of any assistance to you, please do not hesitate to ask! Of course, we would love to have you stay with us in the future! Have a great day and thank you again! Renee

Reviewed February 13, 2014

For those who just want to walk in and have a semi casual experience: sit at the bar! The fish, steak, grits, and creme brûlée were some of the best we have ever had. I would go back for the creme brûlée alone!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review and tell us about your experience at what I believe is probably Highlands Bar & Grill which is down the street from our hotel. They have wonderful food, as I am sad to say our bar does not serve any food! The next over this way, please do stop by and and check out our hotel, as I know you would love it too! Have a wonderful day and thank you again~ Renee

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I recommend Hotel Highland all the time as a local boutique hotel and now that I was stranded there during our recent snow storm, I am even more impressed with the Hotel and the staff. The accommodations were very nice and clean, roomy and a great view of the city. The breakfast was nice with lots of choices. The staff, as stressed as they were, remained kind and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Thank you Toby for taking the time to share your experience here at our hotel on TripAdvisor! Though I hate it was under such stressful circumstances, we certainly loved having you with us!! We look forward to seeing you again (hopefully happier times) in the near future!! Thank you again for all the recommendations and for your review! Have a fabulous day~ Renee

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Heard it was a good hotel, but something is wrong with its management. Renee (claimed to be hotel manager) overbooked the hotel, phoned us up and asked as if we would be willing to cancel, and then cancelled our reservation anyway! She then said that the highway from Tuscaloosa (where we were driving in from) was closed even though it was not, and that previous nights customers had to stay in our room because there was no other rooms in Birmingham (another lie). I guess we were unlucky because of flight cancellations at BHT forcing people to stay over another night, but seriously, transparent lying to customers is no way to do business.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Thank you for writing this review of our hotel, as we certainly appreciate your thoughts and comments~
In good faith I must say that we, the hotel, could not turn our stranded guests away when they returned to the hotel from trying to get home, as the roads were too dangerous to drive on, in which they had to leave their vehicles parked and walk back in the freezing temperatures to hopefully get their room back. I did ask if you would still be trying to come to Birmingham as the road where very dangerous, and perhaps my terminology was incorrect in stating the roads had been closed. I do so apologize for these unforeseeable conditions and can also assure you that the many stranded guests are very grateful to you for your sacrifice.
We did search for available hotel rooms in the downtown and airport areas, to no avail. So I am glad that you where able to find one and do so hope that you and your wife made it safely to Birmingham to catch the early morning flight on the 30th~
You can berate and humiliate me as much as your would like, as that is your opinion.
Again, I do so apologize for not being able to honor your and several other reservations during this terrible snow/ice storm here in Birmingham.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

This is a nice hotel great staff I needed help on where to eat and the staff helped me out a lot. also they have a good nice breakfast !!!!! I will be staying here more often. the rooms have a different style to them not every hotel has that

Room Tip: The top floors have a nice city view
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Thank you Artie D for such a great review and for taking the time to tell us about it!! Yes, the breakfast is really a good one....but am more happy that the staff was helpful to you, as that is our goal to make sure we provide a certain level of service to all of our guests! Hope to see you again soon and thank you again! Have a great day! Renee