“Perfect place to stay in downtown birmingham'”

The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB
Ranked #26 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham, Alabama
“Perfect place to stay in downtown birmingham'”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay in the middle of 5 points. Walk to all the restaurants & bars. Hotel staff was very personable & accommodating. A fun surprise was finding sticky notes in the room from the house keeper with nice welcome statements. A nice touch. So we left her thank you notes & dollars strategically places around the room.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you Karen B for your awesome review of our hotel! And the housekeeper was so excited...thank you from her to you!! We certainly appreciate your taking the time to review the hotel, as we know how busy one can be! Thank you again, and please come and visit anytime!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Heflin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

The pictures for this hotel are misleading. It was hard to find because of the trees growing ove the name of the hotel. It looked nothing like the picture displayed when I made the reservations. I choose it because it was close to the hospital and I was traveling with my 86 year old mother who was unable to walk very far but that was a mistake. There is no parking for the hotel except for valet parking. This would have been fine if I had of known before hand. The heat and air conditioning cannot be controled by a thermostate because it is in an old building. You could either have air or heat or off. We had to choose off. When we went for breakfast the next morning. The food was all but gone and was not replenished. We were able to have enough batter for a waffle and I gave my mother the last piece of sausage and I didn't tell her it was the last piece or she would not have ate it. This hotel cost 20,000 points and it wasn't worth 8000 points. Then when I check my credit card statement the hotel charged my card $16 for valet parking and did not even mention the cost when I went to the front desk the next morning. My advise to avoid this hotel even if you have to stay 10 miles away. The driving in Birmingham is not bad enough to stay close to the hospital if it means staying at this hotel. Thanks Hotel Highland for nothing. Judy Williams.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you JWilliams821 for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our hotel. I do so apologize for not meeting your expectations and appreciate your comments~ I do hope you will stay with us again in the future. Thank you again and have a wonderful day
Montana, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

I have stayed at the Hotel Highland a number of times and it is always a pleasure. The staff is terrific and they have great memories...many say hi to me by name, which is always nice after a long day of travel. The rooms are really nice - comfy beds, most are suites and have a separate living area and a kitchenette with microwave and fridge. And they allow pets! They also include a nice breakfast, including hot items every morning. Their fitness center is small, but I rarely run into anyone in it. The location can't be beat - they are close to many really great restaurants, the requisite Starbucks and still close to downtown. From a weary traveler perspective...feels like home!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you Kristine O for such an awesome review of our hotel! We are always so glad to see you! We are happy to make a wreary traveller feel safe, warm and welcomed! I will be passing your wonderful comments onto the staff, as they will be happy to hear~ Thank you again and we will see you in the very near future!! Renee :)
Hollywood, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

The hotel is part of Choice's Asend Collection. The hotel has unique furnishings, great service, clean super breakfast and is centered near many great restaurants. If you don't chose their Valet parking you are limited to parking on the street or public parking garage.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel! We certainly appreciate the very favorable comments....thanks!! Please come back and visit with us the next time you are in Birmingham!! Have a wonderful rest of your day and thank you again~ :) Renee
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

I was taking the Amtrak through the South on holiday and made Birmingham one of my stops. Having being stuck in very generic, chainy hotels for most of the way I wanted something a little bit different with a touch of originality. It was also important that I could walk to places I wanted to eat and see with relative ease. Needless to say, the Highland ticks all the boxes!

The staff are wonderful; polite and courteous but without being pandering or overly formal.They called me taxis, gave me recommendations and were basically just nice to chat to. Meghan at the front desk gave me a friendly welcome, answered all of my questions and was kind enough to check me in early. The icing on the cake was an upgrade to a suite, which brings me onto the lodgings...

My room was great, impeccably clean and full of personal touches (I thought the notes from the housekeepers were rather adorable). My bed was huge and comfortable and the bathroom amply stocked with various toiletries that I'd forgotten! The décor and furniture, like the rest of the hotel, is quirky, original and very pretty.

When I wasn't enjoying the food and the sights in Birmingham I also had a couple of drinks at the bar which, thought small, had a nice, lively atmosphere. Both Kendra and Sarah were charming, friendly tenders (if you have a sweet tooth ask Sarah to make you a cotton candy martini!) who make you feel right at home there.

All in all I had a fantastic visit, the staff alone made it worth it. If I'm going that way again I shall certainly be back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
HHDOS, Director of Sales at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Oh my...thank you for such a fabulous review of our hotel! We are so very excited that we could help make your holiday a wonderful one! The "girls" will be so thrilled that you have mentioned them in your review....as I cannot wait to show it to them! Thank you so much again, as we certainly hope to see you again in the very near future! Take care~ Renee :)
Columbia, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

From the view of your hotel room to the quality of the furniture to the friendliness of the staff, the care put into the experience by the staff and developers can be seen. It was probably the best experience I have ever had with a hotel stay. The prices are reasonable for the location and a great value for the amount of accommodations and benefits you receive. Another great feature is the valet parking; your car is stored in a secure lot below the building. I will only stay here when I visit Birmingham from here on out.

Room Tip: Get a room high enough up so you can have the full view of the mountain and awesome architecture of...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an awesome review of our hotel!! We certainly appreciate the kind words and will pass them along to the staff~ We are looking forward to seeing you again in the very near future! Thank you again! Renee :)
Enterprise, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Highland located in the Five Points District when taking my daughter to UAB. The staff really sets this hotel above the rest. Sarah, Stephanie and Lauren went out to their way to make sure everything was just right and had me feeling like family after just two nights! I used the valet service (great guys) and though it is $16 a night, I didn't have to fight for parking, which was really helpful when driving back and forth to UAB multiple times. The proximity to fine dining is also a huge plus. If you stop by the wet bar, say hi to Sarah for me!

Room Tip: If you'd like to skip valet parking, weekend and and after 5 or 6 pm are free in metered areas.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HHDOS, Director of Sales at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a fabulous review of our hotel!! We certainly love the staff here and the "girls" will be so excited to know that they have been mentioned in your review!! We are looking forward to seeing you again in the very future! Take care and thank you again~ Renee