“Great location, good value”

The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB
Ranked #29 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
“Great location, good value”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Highland as part of a wedding weekend in Birmingham. The best thing about this hotel was its location. It was close to parking in a public garage, with covered walking from the garage back to the hotel. It was also right in the 5 points area, so the car was a park and forget for the weekend.

Right next door was World of Beer. Just down the street is what has to be the world's best Waffle House (yes, I know, but it was GOOD), and a decent Mexican restaurant and Cantina. It was an easy walk to the Mellow Mushroom for great pizza.

The hotel offered a decent continental breakfast, with waffles, sausage, scrambled egg patties, cereal, pastries, and bagels. What more could you ask for? The bar tender was friendly, and the pours were generous.

The beds were comfortable, the rooms were well maintained and clean. We'll be staying there again if we're in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
HHDOS, Director of Sales at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel! We certainly appreciate your comments and for sharing your experience~ We hope that you will come and visit with us again in the very near future!! Thank you again and have a wonderful day~ Renee :)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Cleburne, Texas
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Don't expect to have your room RESERVED! Apparently they only take REQUESTS. Our reservations were completely screwed up. They did not have the ADA room we reserved. They never informed us, just put us in a regular room. They never apologized for the mistake. Service was terrible. The owner was even more rude than the staff. Unbelievable!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ginnabenke
Conway, AR
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Very nice, has valet service, in a great part of town with many little restaraunts, lounges etc in walking distance.The conceirge was very nice, the breakfast was nothing fancy but had the typical fruit, oatmeals, cereals, pastries, etc. Nice breakfast. The room was clean and nice. I only stayed one night, but the room was plenty good enough. N

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HHDOS, Director of Sales at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay with The Hotel Highland! We certainly appreciate your doing so and look forward to seeing you again in the very near future! Thank you again and have a wonderful day~ :)
Springville, Alabama
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Spent the night here for a getaway weekend. Nice hotel. Clean. Great location. Friendly and helpful staff. Within walking distance to great eating and entertainment. Would recommend to others. Loved the decor.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HHDOS, Director of Sales at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you so much taking the time to write such a nice review of our hotel! I will surely pass along your nice comments as we strive to make each guests feel welcome and appreciated! We are happy that your experience with us was a wonderful one and look forward to seeing you again in the near future! Thank you again and have a fabulous day~
Springville, Alabama
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Something about this hotel just didn't do it for me. The bed was a bit to firm for me for a restful night. On our side of the hotel, 6th floor you could hear the live music playing at the World of Beer right next door into the night. The hotel is OK but I don't see a 5 Star for this one. Nothing to much as being negative. Maybe that and the area just isn't for me. In some areas the hotel seems dated.

Room Tip: To be honest I'd look elsewhere unless you just love walking outside and getting hit up for mone...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am sorry that your stay with us was just "ok" and that your experience was not a good or bad one~ But we appreciate your being honest and candid about your stay so we can fix that area of concern, as without you we would never know, so our many thanks! We do hope that in the future you will consider staying with us again, with hopefully a softer bed~ Thank you again and have a wonderful day~ :)
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Very nice rooms. Customer service was excellent! Plenty of restaurants and bars in the area. Most of everythIng is in walking distance. Front desk clerk was very nice. We will definitely be staying again very soon.

• Stayed March 2013
HHDOS, Director of Sales at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a fabulous review of the Hotel Highland as we strive to give each of our guest a wonderful experience while in the hotel! It is great that you can get out and walk to so many awesome restaurants and entertainment venues! We are looking forward to seeing you on your next visit~ Thank you again!
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

March 23, 2013- amazing wedding celebration followed by a terrible hotel stay. My new husband and I arrived at the hotel around midnight, were congratulated by the staff and shown to our room. Had I noticed the decorations of the room next to us, I would have asked for another room. This is something the staff should have been more aware of, since it was noted on our stay that we were coming from our wedding.

3am, I woke to doors slamming and the voices of women and (what felt like multiple) men. This went on for 10 minutes, so I ring the front desk for assistance. It was 5 minutes before the phone was answered with heavy breathing, and ironically I thought he sounded just like one of the men I had heard minutes before in the room next door. When I Explained my exhaustion and requested assistance, he told me that he had just been in that room and it was quiet. It must be coming from another floor. "Are you sure, ma'am?" Yes, I am certain. It's coming from the room next door and its getting louder. I can hear everything they are saying and the won't stop slamming the doors. He contined to deny the situation, and tears and frustration came to my eyes, I reminded him that it was my wedding night and this is certainly not how I imagined it. I had to hang up the phone bc he was not very helpful. 5 minutes later, I actually Heard the phone next for ring. That's how thin the walls/adjoining doors are!!

It didn't help. This continued for an hour. I did not want to seem crazy and impulsively angry on my wedding night, so I tried very hard to ignore it. 4am, I wouldn't handle it anymore. Since the operator didn't help, I decided to knock on the door myself. It tools a few minutes before I heard the kind voices saying "did you hear someone knocking??" They wouldn't open the door, but I hoped they'd get the hint and stepped back in my room. Immediately, I heard "it was some girl, she must have the wrong room". Uh uh. I stepped back out and knocked again. "D you hear knocking again?? Omg, it's that girl again what do you think she wants?!?!" I tried to quietly say "I'm exhausted and I can hear everything you are saying and doing, could you please quiet down???" Since she didn't hear me she yelled with sass"CAN I HELP YOU???"

I repeated myself a little louder and the response was "we are just trying to shower!! I'm not opening the door for you--you're a stranger!!!" Please sweetheart, I don't need to see you, I thought, I just want you to shut up..

Still didn't work. I couldn't handle it anymore, and by now, my husband was up and agreeing that nothing would work. I called downstairs and, by now crying, told Jason and I needed him to bring a cart and assist us out as I couldn't deal with it anymore and just wanted to return home. He denied the situation but told me he would move me to another room. No thank you, I want to go home and I want a refund because this was terrible.

He came and left the cart--he had argued a little more with me, but believe it or not--I think now the girls next door could tell just how LOUD I could be through the adjoining door, so they were quiet. We brought the cart down and my new husband went out to retrieve the car from our event venue 1/2 a mile away. When Jason, the desk attendant, showed up, I told him thati was not angry with him, I was not angry with the girls, buti was upset with the situation--he told me he was Finally sorry and understood that it wasn't working out. He also told me we probably would not get a refund. After talking for a few minutes, he said something about a bachelorette party...

A BACHELORETTE PARTY!?!!?!? This was a whole new ball game. What morons!!! They put newlyweds next to a bachelorette party?!?!

Enough said.

We have been refunded half, I think. But I don't know why I would ever stay there again and I certainly won't be recommending it to anyone. I'm so glad our wedding guests were at the Embassy Suites!!!!

Highland Hotel, it makes for a great story--but I can't imagine why YOU would enjoy it being told. My friends and family have been appalled and I'm sure more people that know will continue to be. Lesson to learn: think through your rooming assignments and be your walls and doors thickened!!!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Caleigh R
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We will certainly appreciate your opinion and comments. Thank you again and have a wonderful day~