March 23, 2013- amazing wedding celebration followed by a terrible hotel stay. My new husband and I arrived at the hotel around midnight, were congratulated by the staff and shown to our room. Had I noticed the decorations of the room next to us, I would have asked for another room. This is something the staff should have been more aware of, since it was noted on our stay that we were coming from our wedding.
3am, I woke to doors slamming and the voices of women and (what felt like multiple) men. This went on for 10 minutes, so I ring the front desk for assistance. It was 5 minutes before the phone was answered with heavy breathing, and ironically I thought he sounded just like one of the men I had heard minutes before in the room next door. When I Explained my exhaustion and requested assistance, he told me that he had just been in that room and it was quiet. It must be coming from another floor. "Are you sure, ma'am?" Yes, I am certain. It's coming from the room next door and its getting louder. I can hear everything they are saying and the won't stop slamming the doors. He contined to deny the situation, and tears and frustration came to my eyes, I reminded him that it was my wedding night and this is certainly not how I imagined it. I had to hang up the phone bc he was not very helpful. 5 minutes later, I actually Heard the phone next for ring. That's how thin the walls/adjoining doors are!!
It didn't help. This continued for an hour. I did not want to seem crazy and impulsively angry on my wedding night, so I tried very hard to ignore it. 4am, I wouldn't handle it anymore. Since the operator didn't help, I decided to knock on the door myself. It tools a few minutes before I heard the kind voices saying "did you hear someone knocking??" They wouldn't open the door, but I hoped they'd get the hint and stepped back in my room. Immediately, I heard "it was some girl, she must have the wrong room". Uh uh. I stepped back out and knocked again. "D you hear knocking again?? Omg, it's that girl again what do you think she wants?!?!" I tried to quietly say "I'm exhausted and I can hear everything you are saying and doing, could you please quiet down???" Since she didn't hear me she yelled with sass"CAN I HELP YOU???"
I repeated myself a little louder and the response was "we are just trying to shower!! I'm not opening the door for you--you're a stranger!!!" Please sweetheart, I don't need to see you, I thought, I just want you to shut up..
Still didn't work. I couldn't handle it anymore, and by now, my husband was up and agreeing that nothing would work. I called downstairs and, by now crying, told Jason and I needed him to bring a cart and assist us out as I couldn't deal with it anymore and just wanted to return home. He denied the situation but told me he would move me to another room. No thank you, I want to go home and I want a refund because this was terrible.
He came and left the cart--he had argued a little more with me, but believe it or not--I think now the girls next door could tell just how LOUD I could be through the adjoining door, so they were quiet. We brought the cart down and my new husband went out to retrieve the car from our event venue 1/2 a mile away. When Jason, the desk attendant, showed up, I told him thati was not angry with him, I was not angry with the girls, buti was upset with the situation--he told me he was Finally sorry and understood that it wasn't working out. He also told me we probably would not get a refund. After talking for a few minutes, he said something about a bachelorette party...
A BACHELORETTE PARTY!?!!?!? This was a whole new ball game. What morons!!! They put newlyweds next to a bachelorette party?!?!
We have been refunded half, I think. But I don't know why I would ever stay there again and I certainly won't be recommending it to anyone. I'm so glad our wedding guests were at the Embassy Suites!!!!
Highland Hotel, it makes for a great story--but I can't imagine why YOU would enjoy it being told. My friends and family have been appalled and I'm sure more people that know will continue to be. Lesson to learn: think through your rooming assignments and be your walls and doors thickened!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Highland at Five Points South is located just minutes/blocks from UAB and right in the center of all the fabulous restaurants (including Highland Bar & Grill, Chez FonFon, Surin, Ocean, and Twenty Six, just to name a few) and entertainment venues! It is THE place to be while in Birmingham! Just minutes from the Birmingham Courthouse, BJCC, Kirklin Clinic, UAB Highlands and shopping areas! With 63 amazing rooms and suites, with affordable rates that include breakfast and WiFi...it is your "home away from home". Call today to book your reservation! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Orbitz, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelsClick and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Highland At 5 Points
- Highland At Five Points Hotel