“Not how I wanted to end my wedding night”

The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB
Ranked #28 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
“Not how I wanted to end my wedding night”
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

March 23, 2013- amazing wedding celebration followed by a terrible hotel stay. My new husband and I arrived at the hotel around midnight, were congratulated by the staff and shown to our room. Had I noticed the decorations of the room next to us, I would have asked for another room. This is something the staff should have been more aware of, since it was noted on our stay that we were coming from our wedding.

3am, I woke to doors slamming and the voices of women and (what felt like multiple) men. This went on for 10 minutes, so I ring the front desk for assistance. It was 5 minutes before the phone was answered with heavy breathing, and ironically I thought he sounded just like one of the men I had heard minutes before in the room next door. When I Explained my exhaustion and requested assistance, he told me that he had just been in that room and it was quiet. It must be coming from another floor. "Are you sure, ma'am?" Yes, I am certain. It's coming from the room next door and its getting louder. I can hear everything they are saying and the won't stop slamming the doors. He contined to deny the situation, and tears and frustration came to my eyes, I reminded him that it was my wedding night and this is certainly not how I imagined it. I had to hang up the phone bc he was not very helpful. 5 minutes later, I actually Heard the phone next for ring. That's how thin the walls/adjoining doors are!!

It didn't help. This continued for an hour. I did not want to seem crazy and impulsively angry on my wedding night, so I tried very hard to ignore it. 4am, I wouldn't handle it anymore. Since the operator didn't help, I decided to knock on the door myself. It tools a few minutes before I heard the kind voices saying "did you hear someone knocking??" They wouldn't open the door, but I hoped they'd get the hint and stepped back in my room. Immediately, I heard "it was some girl, she must have the wrong room". Uh uh. I stepped back out and knocked again. "D you hear knocking again?? Omg, it's that girl again what do you think she wants?!?!" I tried to quietly say "I'm exhausted and I can hear everything you are saying and doing, could you please quiet down???" Since she didn't hear me she yelled with sass"CAN I HELP YOU???"

I repeated myself a little louder and the response was "we are just trying to shower!! I'm not opening the door for you--you're a stranger!!!" Please sweetheart, I don't need to see you, I thought, I just want you to shut up..

Still didn't work. I couldn't handle it anymore, and by now, my husband was up and agreeing that nothing would work. I called downstairs and, by now crying, told Jason and I needed him to bring a cart and assist us out as I couldn't deal with it anymore and just wanted to return home. He denied the situation but told me he would move me to another room. No thank you, I want to go home and I want a refund because this was terrible.

He came and left the cart--he had argued a little more with me, but believe it or not--I think now the girls next door could tell just how LOUD I could be through the adjoining door, so they were quiet. We brought the cart down and my new husband went out to retrieve the car from our event venue 1/2 a mile away. When Jason, the desk attendant, showed up, I told him thati was not angry with him, I was not angry with the girls, buti was upset with the situation--he told me he was Finally sorry and understood that it wasn't working out. He also told me we probably would not get a refund. After talking for a few minutes, he said something about a bachelorette party...

A BACHELORETTE PARTY!?!!?!? This was a whole new ball game. What morons!!! They put newlyweds next to a bachelorette party?!?!

Enough said.

We have been refunded half, I think. But I don't know why I would ever stay there again and I certainly won't be recommending it to anyone. I'm so glad our wedding guests were at the Embassy Suites!!!!

Highland Hotel, it makes for a great story--but I can't imagine why YOU would enjoy it being told. My friends and family have been appalled and I'm sure more people that know will continue to be. Lesson to learn: think through your rooming assignments and be your walls and doors thickened!!!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Caleigh R
HHDOS, General Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We will certainly appreciate your opinion and comments. Thank you again and have a wonderful day~

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 1, 2013

This place looks like an old hotel and it is but enter it and find fresh, clean and modern themed hotel with rooms on par with indigo, and some lower Ws. Breakfast is motel quality but why eat there when there are many restaurants within a block in the hippest area of Birmingham. Whether you are in Birmingham on business or a romantic weekend this is by far the top choice in B'Ham.
Pros:
Rooms
Location
Not a big full service hotel
A little slow at check in but unbelieveably friendly
Cons:
Parking. DO NOT VALET AT 15-20 BUCKS. USE THE SAMES GARAGE AROUND BACK AND SELF PARK FOR 5 DOLLARS. IF YOU FEEL BAD FOR THE VALLET GIVE HIM A COUPLE OF BUCKS. THEY WILL NOT GO OUT OF THEIR WAY TO MENTION SELF PARKING.

Room Tip: See above about parking
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HHDOS, Director of Sales at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write another wonderful review of our hotel! We love having you here in the hotel and look forward to seeing you again in the very near future!! Again, our many thanks and have a wonderful day~
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This is a downtown hotel in a renovated historic building so is not your typical big box hotel. It is quite nice - the rooms are relatively large and well kept with comfortable beds and pillows. Parking is adjacent to the hotel and the ground floor of the parking elevator is right across from the rear entrance to the hotel - it's pretty convenenient once you figure out the route. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. Hotel Highlands is part of hte Choice Hotel chain, so you get that chain's standard breakfast. It's OK if you just need a quick breakfast but it's just standard hotel food. The lociaton is right in the FIve Corners area of Birminham and there are several good restaurants within walking distance.
I would certainly stay here again if I needed a downtown area hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of our hotel! We certainly appreciate your taking the time to do so and will pass your comments on to our staff~ Hopefully you will be in the need of a downtown hotel again very soon, as we look forward to seeing you again~ Thank you again ahd have a wonderful day~
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Booked a room for the weekend of Mercedes Marathon. Room was tastefully decorated and adequately furnished. The location is perfect if you're looking to participate in Birmingham's nightlife. Hotel staff were very helpful and courteous. Two thumbs up!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HHDOS, Director of Sales at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
The Mercedes Marathon is so much fun....hope you did well in it! We just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to make such a nice review our hotel! Hopefully you all will come back and stay with us through out the year, and if not we will for sure see you at the Marathon next year! Thank you again and have a wonderful day~ Renee
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We had a great stay at the Hotel Highland. We have stayed there once before. I think anytime we are in bhm we will stay there, the location is perfect, great bars and restaurants are literally steps away in each direction. The staff is friendly, the rooms are nicely decorated and clean. Just a neat, fun little hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Almsee
Thank you for taking the time to write a fabulous review of our hotel and your experience with us here at The Hotel Highland! It is a fun, cute little hotel in the most vibrant and entertaining part of Birmingham...that is what makes it so much fun!! We are certainly looking forward to having you stay with us again in the very near future! Thank you again and have a wonderful day~ Renee
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed January 31, 2013

An interesting boutique style hotel. Front desk staff was friendly and accomodating. The hotel is very clean in both the common areas and the room. Bed was extremely comfortable. The breakfast (included) was really excellent. It offered assorted pastries and breads (including bagels), make your own waffles, yoghurt, fresh fruit, a large variety of cereals and teas. Coffee was very good. Each morning had 2 different hot choices and they were well prepared, fresh and nicely presented. The biscuits and gravy was particularly good. The cherry compote one morning was excellent on the waffle. There was an egg choice each morning. All hot items were very hot.
The tiny bar in the lobby is a nice place to go for after dinner drinks. It does not open until 5:30 which disappointed us as we were looking for a before dinner drink. The young lady in attendance was a bit snippy and customer service does not seem to be her calling. It was very off putting. There is a nice front lounge area with an electric fireplace which was nice for sitting and using our computers (free Wifi) while our rooms were cleaned.
The location is a little sketchy. We parked in the public garage and twice came upon puddles that appeared to be someone's bodily fluids. You can circumvent this by using their valet parking. The World of Beer is right next door. If your room is on this side, be aware that it will be LOUD until the wee hours of the morning with heavy base rocking your windows (even on a thursday night). We were going to ask to be moved but the front desk clerk advised us that the other side of the building also has a bar with live music on weekends so it is just as loud.
All in all, the hotel is lovely but the location leaves something to be desired. A big plus is that it is a 5 minute (or less) walk to Jim and Nick's Barbecue restaurant. Don't miss that!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Deborah W
Thank you so much for writing this lovely review of our hotel, as we certainly appreciate the positive feedback! We also love, love Jim n Nicks!! We are looking forward to your next visit and know your experience will be just a fabulous! Thank you again Renee :)
London UK
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights because husband likes downtown locations. Staff try their best to be professional but there is nothing they can do about the location. Did not feel safe in the area. I know management stresses that a lot has changed but it is still a long way from a nice area. On subsequent trips we opted to stay in the Hoover area.

• Stayed May 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your stay here at The Hotel Highland! I do apologize that you didn't feel like the area was safe, as it has changed a lot since your last visit! There is also a police sub station just across the street. Five Points did have a small time frame where it was in transition, but now there have been many new businesses that have come into the area, which we are very excited about! I would hope that you would elect to come back and stay with us to see all the wonderful improvements and changes that should change your mind~ Looking forward to seeing you again~ Renee :)