“LOVED this Hotel!”

The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB
Ranked #28 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed October 31, 2007

I absolutely love this hotel. It is definitely in the boutique hotel catagory. I previously had stayed when the hotel was the Pickwick. However, they have done a multi-million dollar renovation and it shows. The furnishings are what I would call classic modern. They are very warm and welcoming. I stayed both in August and September of this year. Both times the staff was very helpful. The rooms were immaculate. I lived for several years in this part of Birmingham, so I loved being able to walk around Southside during the day. The nights on the weekend can be a bit noisy and the strip of the 5 points area that faces the hotel front is populated with tattoo parlors and is not the most attractive part of 5 points. If you can get past that, I think you will love your stay. You can park your own car and not pay the $18/day valet fee. I did and was able to park for $4 total for the entire weekend. The parking deck is behind the hotel. You have to make the block and come up to the right of the hotel. Before the corner, you will see the sign. It can be tricky to find, but well worth looking for. I will say that coming in the back from the parking deck might discourage you. The old Pickwick Plaza is about defunct. But once inside the hotel, you'll see what so many love!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AGervais

Reviewed October 26, 2007

We stayed at the Pickwick Hotel last year for a week and decided to have a "weekend" getaway at the new Hotel Highland and it was fabulous! The tranformation is great....the decor is similar to a boutique hotel you would find in San Diego or Boston. It is vibrant, yet extremely comfortable. It has an elegant flair with a simple, home like feeling. The staff is great, going beyond what you would get at any typical hotel. It is worth a trip to five points to experience this hotel! I highly recommend it. The only down fall is the $18 for valet parking. It is just a little high for Birmingham. Maybe you could include a car wash with that price!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gidget603
Reviewed October 24, 2007

The a/c fan was the loudest, clankiest noise I have ever had in a room. I called the front desk, and they said all the rooms are like that. I had to leave it on though, because the speaker system in the hall was broken, and they couldn't turn down the Asian/Bohemian fusion background music that was blaring all night. The response I got from the front desk- 'I can sympathize with you, I've been up there, it's really loud!'
In the morning, I went to work out, the nautilus equipment was broken.
Disaster, I won't be going back.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed October 2, 2007

I come to Birmingham three times a year, every year, for 10 years now. Stayed at everything from practically crack houses to big chain hotels. I was pretty disappointed that my client booked me here instead of my chain place...until I got here.

Yowza.

Rate was great. I got a two bedroom SWANKY suite for half the prize of a hotel room that I just stayed at in Charleston. Immaculate. Classy. Quiet. No negatives as far as I can tell.

And you're walking distance to seemingly 1000 restaurants. I'm sold. In fact, they're going to probably have to evict me to get me to leave.

Stayed: October 2007
3  Thank Layover
Reviewed August 4, 2007

My husband and I went to Birmingham for a weekend away and chose The Highland on the recomendation of a friend. The hotel is located in the Five Points area of Birmingham which is adjacent to the UAB campus and downtown. The hotel is within a few minutes walk of some of the finest dining in Birmingham, if not the South.The Highlands Bar and Grill, Chez Fon Fon, Cobb Lane and Ocean restaurants are on the same block as the hotel. Also, a Starbucks across the street can't hurt either. The area is undergoing a revival and while many high end restaurant are located in the area there are also a good many tattoo parlors, graffittied walls, vagrants and panhandlers. Every time we ventured out, day or night, we were approached by someone asking for money. Many of the businesses in the area have signs in the windows imploring visitors not to give out money. This situation does not, however, stop loads of college students and older adults from filling up the streets at night to enjoy the clubs and restaurants in the area.

The hotel has just recently reopened after an extensive remodeling, which only enhanced the Art Deco feel of this former 1930's medical office building. The foyer retains it's marble mosaic floors, original embossed ceiling and stainless elevator with it's caduceus emblems, reminding you of it's former life as a medical arts building. A martini bar will be opening off the lobby in the next few months, which may be a plus, depends on the noise level. We stayed in the standard king room which was funished with brand new furniture in a modern style, a desk with DSL, no wireless, one chair and a 32" LCD TV. The room was on the small size with only about 18 inches between the foot of the bed and dresser. The room overlooked the street which was somewhat noisey, especially on Saturday night when numerous cars drove past with their bass speakers booming. Also, many hospitals nearby so frequent sirens are heard. We paid $99. per night with an additional $18. per day for valet parking. While the room was sufficient some fine tuning needs to take place to make this an enjoyable place to stay. We had a slow draining sink, AC was not working at full capacity on day two, only one elevator was working and we had to unplug the radio because it kept coming on every five minutes when the TV was turned on??? Front desk was not always available when we called down with various requests or inquiries. Overall a mixed bag. Would not recommend area for female traveling alone.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank okiebama
Reviewed September 28, 2006

Yes, the location is good, but I have stayed in cleaner motels on the side of the highway. I travel weekly on business and appreciate a clean, comfortable room; this hotel has neither. It honestly appears that housekeeping does nothing other than change the linens and towels. I was in two rooms (the corner rooms are spacious) and both had the same issues: dust on every surface, water stains on the ceiling, broken entry door locks, crumbling/burned lamp shades and filthy carpet.
For the price, there are several better options downtown, and many options outside of downtown.
Old mattresses and poor work spaces make the Pickwick a poor choice for business travelers. The only bonus is free DSL; plug in and go.
I prefer older, quaint hotels, but this one is has been deleted from my list.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank eantx
Reviewed August 28, 2006

As mentioned by a previous reviewer, this perfectly decent hotel is a half of block from the Highlands Bar and Grill, one of the best restaurant in the South. You can drink your wine with dinner and walk back to the hotel without worrying about a designated driver. We like to get a suite with a small kitchette, so we can bring our own tea and croissants. The breakfast they serve at the hotel is nothing special.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with friends