“loved it”

Ranked #62 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Portland, Or
“loved it”
Reviewed February 12, 2008

I stayed in this motel January 2008. I found it VERY charming. The front desk was very sweet and very helpful in trying to find my husband and I a nice place to eat. When we walked in to register we were greeted with the smell of fresh baked cookies. After we checked in and went to the room which was extremely clean and had a very plesent smell we returned to the lobby for cookies and milk. Nice touch! The breakfast the next morning was by far the best "free" breakfast the we had ever had...most places your lucky if you get coffee and a muffin. This Best Western had not only muffins but also biscuits and gravy, 3 different cereals, fresh fruit, bagels, danish, boiled eggs, breads, juices and I sure a couple of more things that I'm sure I have missed. The front desk staff made us feel very welcome.

• Liked — Clean smell of the room
  • Disliked — Traffic was a bit much....but what do you expect
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tpoohbear

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed October 16, 2007

My entire stay was horrible. The first room I was assigned to reeked of cigarette smoke, even though I requested non-smoking. More importantly, when I took a shower, I could not get any hot water--after letting the water run for over 5 minutes. Being late to my event was not an option, so I took a cold shower. I was given a new room on request but later discovered I had left my cell phone charger in my old room. The front desk promised to retrieve it and have it waiting for me in the morning. In the morning I was told they had rented my used hotel room (between 1:30 a.m. and 7:00 a.m.) so obviously it had not been cleaned and could not obtain my charger. Was told they would mail it to me. When it did not arrive, I called and was told by a manager with a snotty attitude that it was my fault I lost my charger and they would do nothing about it.

• Stayed September 2007
Memphis, TN
Reviewed July 28, 2007

Ok...to echo everyone else...it's not in Mountain Brook and it's a motel, not a hotel. I didn't check a map and so I was a little disappointed when I arrived. It is located off of a busy expressway so traffic at rush hour was dicey, but no worse than what I'm normally used to.

That said, I was bowled over by the value here. Hotels in Birmingham are either really good or really bad, and either really cheap or really expensive. This one was really cheap and good.

My room looked recently refurbished and was *huge*. The bathroom was also large, if not a little plain. It took a minute to warm up the shower in the morning, but again, that's no different than home. The bed was firm but supportive. Some may find it too firm for their liking. The carpeting was well padded and felt good under my feet.

Free wi-fi was a plus, as was the great breakfast.

The staff was friendly and the room and property were clean and well maintained.

I paid almost 1/2 of what I paid to stay at the Hampton Inn a mile down the road and the Best Western is the hands down better deal.

• Liked — Great value!
  • Disliked — Misleading location
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed May 15, 2007

We were forced to stay here on Talladega weekend because all of the other hotels-that accept dogs- were booked, or extremely over priced-not that this one was not over priced for the weekend- but it was better than most.

My husband and I and our two dogs stayed two nights. We are moving to Birmingham and needed somewhere to stay until our house was ready to move in.

The staff was friendly and helpful, free wi-fi in all the rooms, and it was clean....but this is really a motel. The room was adequate but
a little on the dingy side. It met our needs for the weekend, but I would not stay there again.

This hotel is down the dreaded 280 in Birmingham. I am not sure how they can claim to be in Mountainbrook, because they are far from it. This motel is past The Summit Mall. Traffic to get out there from Birmingham past 4 PM is a nightmare.

• Liked — they take dogs
  • Disliked — Its a motel!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 3weeks
Wisconsin
Reviewed April 21, 2007

This is a great little motel, very clean with a great breakfast. We stayed on our way from Wisconsin to Gulf Shores, Alabama. We were traveling with another family and we had 5 girls between the ages of 13 and 16. Some good restaurants are close by. We chose Bahama Breeze and it was very good. The shower at this motel was great, with lots of counter space in the bathroom. This changed my daughter's opinions about "motels"! We would definitely stay here again if we were traveling down South.

• Liked — clean, safe, quiet and close to good restaurants. fairly convenient location
  • Disliked — the lamp next to my bed did not work and I had to get a key and exchange it with a lamp from another room
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank KatieWWisconsin
Dallas
Reviewed January 9, 2007

We enjoyed our 3 night stay at this Best Western. Like the other poster said, it's location is more towards the Inverness area (southeast of I459, off of highway 280). It was a very clean room with friendly staff, in a nice area of town. There are several restaurants close by including a Bahama Breeze, Logans, Shogun, Friday's, etc. The bed was a bit hard for me (not unusual for a best western), but my husband had no problems with it. The continental breakfast was nice, they even had biscuits and homemade sausage gravy while we were there. We don't usually like to stay in places where the door to our room opens to the outside because of the noise problem (we could hear every car outside our door), but that's pretty much the norm for this type of place and we knew that when we booked. We would stay again if need be. There is a very nice mall close by at The Summit. So, in a nutshell, it's perfect for those just needing a clean place to crash while in town.

• Liked — Forgot to mention the free wireless internet! Always a bonus.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelCouple30
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 3, 2005

We just returned from a 3 day/2 night stay in Alabama in which we stayed at the Best Western Mountain Brook and were very pleased to say the least. The rooms have been recently remodeled with beautiful updated colors and features.

Our mornings started with an impressive continental breakfast with various breads, bagels, muffins, cereals, and danishes. We have 3 small children with picky appetites but they all found something they liked. For the heartier appetited folks there is a Bahama Breeze, Logans, Shogun and plenty of other resteraunts just across the street or adjacent to the hotel. Not to mention the Birmingham Zoo is only about 5 miles down Hwy 280.

The staff was very courtious and the grounds well kept. The rooms were very clean and comfortable with ample bathroom supplies. The housekeeping staff was remarkable. Each morning we left for breakfast around 8 and when we returned the beds had been changed and the room cleaned!

My one and only complaint was that the pool was not accessible when we stayed because of a broken pump. The girls were disappointed but it was beyond the hotels control. I'd definately rate this hotel higher than a 2 star!

• Stayed July 2005