“Great for park and fly”

Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport
Ranked #56 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Very convenient shuttle service to the airport. Rooms are as expected at a Holiday Inn. Front desk was as expected. Business center very convenient fro printing boarding passes. Close to restaurants. Quieter than you would expect for the location.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ken H, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Thank you for your recent review. We are pleased to hear that we are consistent with what you expect when you stay at Holiday Inn. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss with you what we could have done better so that your next stay with us will exceed your expectations.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Somehow we booked at the wrong Holiday Inn in Birmingham but showed up to this one. We also hit a snowstorm, go figure, and had already returned our rental car to the airport. We were at a loss of what to do because we needed to catch a flight at 7 AM and were now carless. They were very accommodating to our travel difficulties and managed to get us a room due to some cancellations. We were very thankful because our flights ended up being cancelled and we stayed here for two nights. Big thanks to Ken, Keown, Destini, and Irene!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We are thrilled that your stay with us was exceptional and delighted that we were able to accommodate you during the storm. The team members you have named have been acknowledged for the service that they extended to you during your stay. We hope that if you are ever in the area again we will be your #1 choice for your overnight accommodations.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

My wife and I were stranded at the Birmingham airport for 3 days during the January 2014 snow/ice storm that literally crippled the entire area. The airport was completely shut down for days, and all the highways and roads were impassable because of the ice-covered road surfaces. This meant that literally everyone in the area had to stay where they were until the weather improved enough to melt the snow/ice because Birmingham has no road (or airport) equipment for dealing with snow or ice. During this time the entire staff at the Holiday Inn stayed calm and everyone took on multiple roles to make sure that the hotel functioned as smoothly as possible and that all the guests felt comfortable. Our thanks go out to Ashanti for her help especially. The entire ordeal was handled exceptionally well by the entire staff, and we recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a clean, comfortable, well managed and well run facility.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Ken H, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

We at the Holiday Inn, thank you for your recent review. We are glad that your stay with us was one worth all the kind words you expressed. It is our sincere hope that when you are in the Birmingham area again, we will be your first choice for overnight accommodations.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

I was stranded in Birmingham for three days during the January 2014 ice storm that gridlocked the area and made a total mess of air travel in and out of the city. I moved to the airport Holiday Inn to be near the airport in case any airplane seats opened up unexpectedly (no such luck!) and found myself surrounded by very caring people who truly stepped up to the challenge of operating the hotel with a less-than-skeleton staff and supply shortages. I went to dinner in the hotel restaurant shortly after my arrival and observed that the wait staff seemed disorganized and service was well, a bit chaotic. I grew impatient and flagged down a server for help navigating a plate to my table. She apologized sincerely, explaining that she was the hotel's director of sales and had never waited tables in her life. And aside from the chef, most of the others running the restaurant were also managers sleeping at the hotel and filling in for hotel staff who could not navigate the gridlock to get into work.

The hotel's service, cleanliness and amenities rose well above the challenges imposed by the storm. It's not an upscale hotel with amenities that would prompt most to give a five-star review, but what counted for me this trip was a clean, safe and helpful port in the storm. The staff lent me a cable I could use to turn my room TV into an external monitor to my laptop, which I need to accomplish the kind of work I do and was desperate to work on while stranded. There were other small kindnesses, too. Thank you, Laura and team. I sincerely appreciate the above-and-beyond that turned my stay into a pleasant, productive one.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your recent review. The title of your review speaks volumes of the way our staff pulled together through the storm. Please know that the effort we put forth as a staff is for no other reason than you, our guest. Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Hotel was safe,clean easy on and off freeway. 10min to downtown. Room clean, bathroom clean, bed sleeps great, staff great. Was there for conference and rested well! The area around the hotel is avg, not really places to eat around you will have to go downtown,but it doesn't effect the hotel great and safe service!! Close the the freeway but noise wasn't to bad I rested well enjoyed my stay!!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We are pleased to hear that your stay with us was an enjoyable one. Any one of our managers would be pleased to meet you personally and give you a warm welcome back during your next stay in the area.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Overall this is an average property. The pros: it is the nicest hotel close to the airport in Birmingham and relatively easy to get to from the interstate. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The room has been updated (somewhat) to the "Holiday Inn" basic. The bar seemed lively.

On the downside, the hotel is showing its age on the exterior. The large metal fence reinforces that you might not be in the best neighborhood. This hotel will certainly not be the spot for someone looking for any "unique" character in Birmingham.

I was fortunate to drive a few miles toward downtown to find the Warehouse District which has a good selection of restaurants and shops.

Have a need for a quick stay over -- stay here. Want a relaxing home base to explore Birmingham -- look elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear SCTraveler864,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are so pleased you liked the convenient location of our hotel from the Airport and the friendliness of our staff. We apologize you were not well satisfied with the exterior condition of our hotel. It is regrettable that we fell below your expectations. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests. Thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Although I got a tremendous rate on this hotel on priceline ($44 nightly), I just don't believe that it should be rated as a 3 star hotel. It is a pretty old hotel and in a rather bad neighborhood. The customer service at the hotel was outstanding. No problems at all. I just would not like to spend an extended time there. My Grandson and I were there for the BVAA Compass Bowl. I asked if they would reccommend a place to eat and the "Kabob" was what they suggested. It was right across the street, and really looks like sort of a dive. We did decide to try the place on the last night and when we walked in we were shocked to see bulletproof glass separating the workers and the customers. I did try their food and they have a large selection, and will have to say the food was excellent.

Room Tip: Probably the south side away from the interstate is the best.