“Not Recommended, staff is polite but incompetent!”

Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport
Ranked #55 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
NC
“Not Recommended, staff is polite but incompetent!”
Reviewed July 20, 2008

First room they gave me, after waiting for and hour to get it ready, was already occupied when I went through the door, nice surprise. They done the same thing to another guy while I was in the lobby waiting. Second room had a broken air conditioner. By this time I was getting pretty uneasy about the place. The third room was decent, well organized and clean, although the AC had to basically be running at or near high to cool the room, it had only gotten to 88 that day so it wasn't all that hot outside. While waiting for the first room to get ready I thought I'd drive a little ways and pick up something to eat. I drove about mile in 2 directions and the further I went the worse the area got, it's basically located in the slums. I finally settled for a Hardee's with an 88 rating. I was glad to get out of there the next day.

• Liked — Convenience to the Interstate
  • Disliked — Incompetent Staff
1 Thank Grateful11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Atlanta
Reviewed July 16, 2008

I do a tremendous amount of traveling and I think that I am a hotel expert. Well my expertise was taken to the next level once I stayed at the Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport. Most of the time airport hotels are the worst properties that a person can stay in, that is next to the roadside-truckstop motels. I was pleasant ly surprised about my stay at this Birmingham hotel.

When my flight back home was cancelled I called the hotel and made a reservation. the lady who made my reservation was most pleasant and helpful. She even offered some local places to dine before I arrived to the hotel.

When I actually arrived every one that appeared to be an employee offered to help me with my one travelling roller. Imagine that! I joked with the front desk and said I must be the only guest in the hotel. She simply smiled and said "you are and that makes you the best!"

The room was great! the building itself looks older but I was surprised about the interior decor. Looks like a new hotel. And thank goodness, the room was spotless! it's increasingly becoming hard to find this!

The hotel has a bar area and it was like I was at my local bar---this was a nice end to the evening, since I did not intend on being there.

All in all a great hotel!

• Liked — the employees
  • Disliked — location
VictoriaGr
Reviewed July 12, 2008

The reviews below cannot be about the same hotel that I stayed in. The staff was beyond helpful and pleasant, answering all of my questions without hesitation. I didn't have a car during my stay and the front desk organized a convinient Birhmingham tour possible to accomplish via taxi service. My 3-day stay was comfortable, fun, and convenient. The rooms were clean, great TV and channels, delicious restaurant, and nice pool. Take my word for it... this hotel was well worth the visit.

• Liked — The convenient location to the airport... makes travelling easy!!
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
mmelymo
Reviewed June 24, 2008

Hotel is located in the ghetto. They do not have 24 hour security. My car, along with 6 others was broken into in the parking lot, that by the way does not have security cameras. The police officer did not want to file a report and said it was a bad area for crime and prostitution. The hotel staff and mangement were rude and not helpful when I have contacted them about the break-in. The GM said that you park there at your own risk. I understand that but I would like to think that I was in a secure area. This was by far my worst hotel experience. The bathrooms are small. The air conditioner did not blow cold air, just AIR. No vending machines. Overall horrible experience. My window cost $345 to replace, I had to have my car detailed to remove the blood and glass, and I had almost $1,000 dollars worth of electronics stolen from my car. If that is not a good enough reason to never return, then I don't know what is.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mmelymo
san diego, ca
Reviewed June 12, 2008

any positive impression i had when i walked in to their updated and remodeled lobby was taken away during my two-night night stay when i accidentally left my wedding ring on the desk in my room and returned that night to find it missing. stolen, actually.

the night security officer took a report and i've been told that i would hear from the hotel's insurance company...but that was 5/21/08.

the wedding ring was approx $2000-2500. it was the only thing on the desk when i left the room.

furthermore, the housekeeper did something that hasn't been done to my belongings before...she moved my toothbrush out of the styrofoam cup that i had placed it. she threw the cup away and left the toothbrush on the sink. who touches a guest's toothbrush???

i'd recommend that you not stay at holiday inn express at birmingham airport. despite their commercials, i don't feel smarter today for staying there.

• Disliked — the theft
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank arhats
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 27, 2008

I'm a Priority Club member and I just stopped in at the end of a long day of driving. I figured if I didn't like the rate I'd get back on the road. Rate quoted was $140, I asked for discount as it was 1030pm and rate became $89-I could live with that and I think I will try this plan whenever possible. They let me use the "night cap" drink voucher for my morning coffee which was nice. I'd like it if there was some form of a breakfast considering the price. The room was very nice except the tub had some sort of patch around the drain, functioned fine. No noise on the non airport side.

• Liked — modern decor
  • Disliked — no breakfast
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
maine
Reviewed March 9, 2008

would def stay here again, they were so friendly and helpful. 100% brand new, plazma tv, fridge, mirocrowave...

shuttle to airport and some downtown things

would have liked for there to have been breakfast included

• Liked — clean, SAFE, new and increadably helpful
  • Disliked — no breakfast, and it would have been nice if the shuttle took you more places
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Comfort Inn Birmingham - Irondale
SpringHill Suites Birmingham Downtown at UAB
Sheraton Birmingham
Sheraton Birmingham
#33 of 79 in Birmingham

Been to Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport? Share your experiences!